Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does it get better?

Hello everyone, I’m new here :)

I am really struggling… I had surgery 3/7 of 2022 and started at 250. I am now 123 and seem to lose a pound or two each week which is way below my goal weight that was 150. I have so many issues eating pretty much everything. I can only eat or drink small amounts. I am extremely exhausted. I feel faint a lot. I can’t sleep. I had major issues eating at first, but around August my PCP told me eat what I can and stop trying to force the Protein. I then ate - which was mainly fruits and veggies. I started feeling better for about a month and then got Covid. Since I have been struggling again to eat. I feel sick. Nauseous. Over heated each time I eat or drink anything beside Water. My throat and my mouth get all mucous like or slimey. My arm pits sweat, but not under the shoulder it’s where your forearm meets the upper arm. Dizzy. Weak. My throat feels like it constricts a lot when I eat most things. This has pretty much been the norm for me since my surgery. I try and eat slowly. Chew every thing a million times. I can do any Protein Drinks because they make me sick. I dry heave and spit up foam. I can’t exercise for lack of energy and have zero muscle left. Any one else have anything similar? The doctors say it will get better.
When??

You need to do as your pcp says and eat. First find things to drink, you sound as if you are dehydrated. Water and milk and thinned Protein drinks are safe starting options. Have you tried protein water? Have you tried broth? Find the temperature you can tolerate. I managed Hot Drinks better than icy cold.

You need to eat and the calorie content will not matter for a couple of weeks. Once you get some calories in you will start to feel better. To start you eating again, can I suggest yogurts, high protein tinned or homemade Soups [blitz it if you need to] mashed potato and gravy, Custard, instant porridge. and soft baked crustless quiche or cheese souffle. Aim to eat [ or drink your food ] a good amount of foods every 2 or 3 hours. Eat whatever you can, its critical to you getting and feeling better

Lack of protein will make you weak. Lack of liquid makes your throat slimy. You feel nausea because you may not be drinking enough. Getting hot or in my case shivery cold is because we have overeaten. Getting the foamies [spitting out foam] is because you have put too much in your new stomach in one go. Eat or drink smaller sips until you get a hang of your limits.

Lastly, have you been tested for a stricture? because I had similar problems until about 10 months out because they found my internal stitch line was still swollen. I just had to do the best I could until it settled. You should be getting more help from your team than you are, when did you last speak to them?

I second getting with your team.

Having said that, I have the constriction issue too. I have come to see it as a blessing. When I drink or eat something I take a tiny bite then I wait for it to hit the constriction/spasm. I just wait for it to relax a bit and drain through. 2 or 3 seconds. I literally feel liquids swirl like a drain. Then I wait for it to hit my stomach pouch. 2 or 3 seconds more. Then I wait for a feeling like satiation which is usually about 5 or so seconds after it hits my stomach.

I don't know your situation but maybe you can experiment with something hot or cold and see if you can be in touch with your body.

Would love to hear how it turns out. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

45 minutes ago, bigoverthinker said:

I second getting with your team.

Having said that, I have the constriction issue too. I have come to see it as a blessing. When I drink or eat something I take a tiny bite then I wait for it to hit the constriction/spasm. I just wait for it to relax a bit and drain through. 2 or 3 seconds. I literally feel liquids swirl like a drain. Then I wait for it to hit my stomach pouch. 2 or 3 seconds more. Then I wait for a feeling like satiation which is usually about 5 or so seconds after it hits my stomach.

I don't know your situation but maybe you can experiment with something hot or cold and see if you can be in touch with your body.

Would love to hear how it turns out. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello there. I am so happy you said you hear liquids swirl like a drain. I don’t necessarily feel that, but the sounds definitely come from my throat. Thank you for the advice.

6 hours ago, summerseeker said:

You need to do as your pcp says and eat. First find things to drink, you sound as if you are dehydrated. Water and milk and thinned Protein Drinks are safe starting options. Have you tried Protein Water? Have you tried broth? Find the temperature you can tolerate. I managed Hot Drinks better than icy cold.

You need to eat and the calorie content will not matter for a couple of weeks. Once you get some calories in you will start to feel better. To start you eating again, can I suggest yogurts, high Protein tinned or homemade Soups [blitz it if you need to] mashed potato and gravy, Custard, instant porridge. and soft baked crustless quiche or cheese souffle. Aim to eat [ or drink your food ] a good amount of foods every 2 or 3 hours. Eat whatever you can, its critical to you getting and feeling better

Lack of protein will make you weak. Lack of liquid makes your throat slimy. You feel nausea because you may not be drinking enough. Getting hot or in my case shivery cold is because we have overeaten. Getting the foamies [spitting out foam] is because you have put too much in your new stomach in one go. Eat or drink smaller sips until you get a hang of your limits.

Lastly, have you been tested for a stricture? because I had similar problems until about 10 months out because they found my internal stitch line was still swollen. I just had to do the best I could until it settled. You should be getting more help from your team than you are, when did you last speak to them?

Thank you so very much for your reply and advice. I will try everything you mentioned.
I know I am dehydrated, I have been setting a timer on my phone to drink at least every 30 minutes. My hot flashes come with just one bite, so it’s not that I am over eating. Since my procedure I can not tolerate milk and dairy. I did try milk last week and got sick with just 1/4 cup. Many months ago yogurt was my go to, but it too started to make me sick. I will try yogurt again today as well. I do mix unflavored protein in to my water and tea or coffee. I have not been tested for anything. I have only had phone appointments and am told to consult with the nutritionist on different things to eat. I will call the doctors office this afternoon and see if I can schedule an appointment. I appreciate the time and thoughtfulness you put into the post.

38 minutes ago, NotSoSkinnyMini said:

Thank you so very much for your reply and advice. I will try everything you mentioned.
I know I am dehydrated, I have been setting a timer on my phone to drink at least every 30 minutes. My hot flashes come with just one bite, so it’s not that I am over eating. Since my procedure I can not tolerate milk and dairy. I did try milk last week and got sick with just 1/4 cup. Many months ago yogurt was my go to, but it too started to make me sick. I will try yogurt again today as well. I do mix unflavored Protein in to my Water and tea or coffee. I have not been tested for anything. I have only had phone appointments and am told to consult with the nutritionist on different things to eat. I will call the doctors office this afternoon and see if I can schedule an appointment. I appreciate the time and thoughtfulness you put into the post.

Has your team ever given you IV liquids? If not, maybe ask for those to help get you over the hump in trying to get in more calories. Maybe if that helps your nausea and dehydration, you'd be able to tolerate more calories. I think I am going to go to an infusion center in the next couple of days just to see if it helps me feel better.

I know you said that you can't tolerate dairy but wondering if you've tried Fairlife fat free lactose free milk. I just discovered it after a suggestion here. It has really helped me get in more liquid and some protein, to boot. I make a sugar free hot chocolate with it since I tolerate warm much better than cold. Maybe your issue with dairy is the lactose and this milk might be tolerated?

Sounds like you are either dumping or your blood sugars are way out of whack see your surgeon he may refer you to endocrinologist

23 hours ago, Lisa XO said:

Has your team ever given you IV liquids? If not, maybe ask for those to help get you over the hump in trying to get in more calories. Maybe if that helps your nausea and dehydration, you'd be able to tolerate more calories. I think I am going to go to an infusion center in the next couple of days just to see if it helps me feel better.

I know you said that you can't tolerate dairy but wondering if you've tried Fairlife fat free lactose free milk. I just discovered it after a suggestion here. It has really helped me get in more liquid and some Protein, to boot. I make a sugar free hot chocolate with it since I tolerate warm much better than cold. Maybe your issue with dairy is the lactose and this milk might be tolerated?

Hi and thank you for the reply.
My team just brushes me off and tells me to go to the emergency room if I think I need to be seen or get fluids. I went on 1/4 and it was an 8 hour wait…

When I was about 10 weeks post op I could do Fairlife milk and yougurt for several weeks. Then all of a sudden I would get sick after eating or drinking anything dairy. I tried the Fairlife milk a few weeks ago and with just 1/4 cup dumped. I will try normal 2 percent milk today. It’s just super hard when I take one bite of something or one drink and a minute later feel like I’m dumping.

15 hours ago, SleeverSk said:

Sounds like you are either dumping or your blood sugars are way out of whack see your surgeon he may refer you to endocrinologist

Definitely dumping. Have had blood sugar and A1C checked a few times.

Can you update your info so we can see what all your stats are? Also, what surgery did you have? You may want to try Protein Water, protein gatorade (sugar free), propel water (it's flavored and helps replenish electrolytes), and try the Fairlife Protein Shakes. Protein and hydration are the most important right now.

On 1/25/2023 at 3:00 PM, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Can you update your info so we can see what all your stats are? Also, what surgery did you have? You may want to try Protein Water, Protein gatorade (sugar free), propel Water (it's flavored and helps replenish electrolytes), and try the Fairlife Protein Shakes. Protein and hydration are the most important right now.

Hi there. Thank you for the reply. I have tried several times to update my information and I can’t find a way.
I had the roux en Y on March 7th. I have pretty much always felt this way since the beginning. I had an appointment with the Surgeon on Thursday and he admitted me to the hospital. They did a scope and the good news is they found nothing. The bad news is I have no answers. Going to do an ultrasound on my gallbladder and possibly laparoscopic surgery to look around on my abdomen. ☹️