Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m at about a month post sleeve and beginning my third week incorporating solids. I had recent observation that found so interesting I thought I would share.

I’m someone who for as long as I can remember found the feeling of a full belly to be comforting both physically and emotionally especially during colder seasons or in the evenings. Not necessarily overfull, but that feeling associated with just eating a decent sized warm meal.

Since my gastric sleeve surgery I’m sure it goes without saying that as I continue to incorporate foods into my diet the feeling of food in my stomach or occasional associated nausea is more often then not one of discomfort.

Now in just three weeks time I’m realizing my prior draw to food consciously or subconsciously, to achieve that warm full belly comfort is quickly being reverse behaviorally engineered due the discomfort Ive felt with eating and a full belly post surgery.

It’s quite interesting how this behavioral/emotional comfort that’s likely been a significant contributing obstacle in managing/maintaining my weight over my lifetime has been an unintended but welcomed casualty of my sleeve surgery.

Has anyone else experienced similar?

Indeed, I have. I'm only 2w2d post surgery and on my third day of purees. Already, I can tell that I dread the feeling of food in my stomach. I ate salmon puree one time and it didn't agree with me at all. That is all it took for me to be trepidatious.

Wild isn’t it! gets a little better in the next few weeks, I remember week two feeling like like I had a belly full of stomach acid and week 3 dizziness/ nausea. I can report from week 5 acid is gone and nausea is more mild & predictable at least :)

It's not uncommon for people to experience changes in their relationship with food and their emotional responses to eating after bariatric surgery. Some people may find that they no longer crave certain foods or that their emotional association with food changes.

Reverse behavioral conditioning, as you've described it, is a phenomenon where the physical discomfort associated with eating too much or eating certain foods can change the way a person feels about those foods and their overall relationship with food. This can help to reduce cravings and change the way a person thinks about food, making it easier to maintain a healthy diet and weight in the long-term.

It's also common for people to experience a change in the way they feel about their body and their self-esteem. The weight loss and the change in the way they look, can help them to feel more confident and comfortable in their own skin.

It's important to note that this process is unique to everyone and some people may not experience a change in their emotional relationship with food. It's important to continue to work with a therapist or a dietitian to help you manage and understand your feelings about food and your relationship with it.

Yes! I used to enjoy the feeling of fullness, before surgery too. Now, I don't. "Feeling full" typically means I've eaten too much and it's painful. I never really "feel full" anymore. I stop eating well before I actually feel full.

The whole WLS experience is an experience in conditioning.

Our actual plans have sometimes vast differences yet no one seems to want to reconcile the differences. It seems the actual plan doesn't really matter but it's following a plan that seems to be the important element. We are learning a new way of eating, a healthier and sustainable way to eat and live. As a reward we consistently lose weight. What conditioning! We follow plan and lose weight.

The surgery helps us follow the plan the major part of which is not eating too much. In point of fact most people would lose weight for the first several months no matter what they eat. The surgery is doing the heavy lifting.

We all have read of people that eat what they want, pick and choose plan elements, and/or quickly return to their old habits, and yet early on they lose weight. Think of how they are being conditioned: Eat what you want and lose weight.

Eventually comes the point where the weight loss stops, or even reverses. It comes for us all. How have the two groups conditioned themselves?

Well, the group conditioned with following the plan continue to follow plan, perhaps tightening a little. It's the same thing they've been doing and continuing is just doing what you've been conditioned to do. This group continues doing well.

The second group that wasn't following a plan is stuck. Now they have to make a change to something they are unprepared for and unconditioned to do: They need to eat to plan. Except they have no positive conditioning related to plan. For these folks, they are back on the dieting circle. They are conditioned to eat what they want, so this is where their conditioning keeps wanting to take them. They are back between a rock and a hard place.

Eating to plan has more implications than simply losing weight fast. We are conditioning ourselves for long term success.

Sorry for the sermon, lecture, and longwindedness. Someone will be passing the contribution box.

Good luck,

Tek

Indeed, I have. I'm only 2w2d post surgery and on my third day of purees. Already, I can tell that I dread the feeling of food in my stomach. I ate salmon puree one time and it didn't agree with me at all. That is all it took for me to be trepidatious.
I still can not eat salmon. It's to oily. I tried cooking it every which way but it's a no every time from my tummy. It breaks my heart, salmon was a go to before surgery. Keep trying different foods and go back to failed ones every once in a while. It took me ten months to finally master chicken.< br>

Sent from my Lenovo TB-J606F using BariatricPal mobile app

On 1/12/2023 at 6:04 PM, The Greater Fool said:

The whole WLS experience is an experience in conditioning.

Our actual plans have sometimes vast differences yet no one seems to want to reconcile the differences. It seems the actual plan doesn't really matter but it's following a plan that seems to be the important element. We are learning a new way of eating, a healthier and sustainable way to eat and live. As a reward we consistently lose weight. What conditioning! We follow plan and lose weight.

The surgery helps us follow the plan the major part of which is not eating too much. In point of fact most people would lose weight for the first several months no matter what they eat. The surgery is doing the heavy lifting.

We all have read of people that eat what they want, pick and choose plan elements, and/or quickly return to their old habits, and yet early on they lose weight. Think of how they are being conditioned: Eat what you want and lose weight.

Eventually comes the point where the weight loss stops, or even reverses. It comes for us all. How have the two groups conditioned themselves?

Well, the group conditioned with following the plan continue to follow plan, perhaps tightening a little. It's the same thing they've been doing and continuing is just doing what you've been conditioned to do. This group continues doing well.

The second group that wasn't following a plan is stuck. Now they have to make a change to something they are unprepared for and unconditioned to do: They need to eat to plan. Except they have no positive conditioning related to plan. For these folks, they are back on the dieting circle. They are conditioned to eat what they want, so this is where their conditioning keeps wanting to take them. They are back between a rock and a hard place.

Eating to plan has more implications than simply losing weight fast. We are conditioning ourselves for long term success.

Sorry for the sermon, lecture, and longwindedness. Someone will be passing the contribution box.

Good luck,

Tek

Such a succinct explanation for this entire experience! This is oddly reassuring to me because I'm a rule follower who needs to trust in the process...I needed to hear that if I follow the plan, I won't fail. I have a consultation in one more week, so I'm trying to make sure my head is wrapped around the choice I'm making. Ha! Your explanation helps tremendously!

I know exactly what you mean. My problem now is that for many years I suffered from Anorexia Nervosa and Purging Disorder, before “getting better” — and developing BED instead. So my comfort zone is basically being hungry OR being full. The in-between is completely new to me and something I’m working on feeling comfortable with. I’m not physically hungry anymore (at one week post surgery) but making myself eat — without eating too much — while not hungry is extremely difficult emotionally.

On 1/12/2023 at 6:14 PM, summerseeker said:

I still can not eat salmon. It's to oily. I tried cooking it every which way but it's a no every time from my tummy. It breaks my heart, salmon was a go to before surgery. Keep trying different foods and go back to failed ones every once in a while. It took me ten months to finally master chicken.< br>

Sent from my Lenovo TB-J606F using BariatricPal mobile app

Interesting. Fish in general has almost completely lost its appeal. Shellfish still good! But salmon not so much. Maybe it’s knowing that the fattier fish will sit funny?