Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regret Doing This

I straight up regret having surgery. I was a low BMI candidate with a bunch of other health factors that got me approved for the procedure. I am weak beyond measure and dizzy everyday. Can barely handle self care without issue. I had post-op rectal bleeding, went back to the hospital for IV hydration, everything is just difficult. I can’t help but feel like I wish I would have just lost the weight on my own. I did WW, Keto, boot camp training sessions, you name it and never had long term success. I know people say it gets better with time but when?! I’m a mom of twins, laying around all day just isn’t my style. I wish I never did this :(

When did you have your surgery? Can you update your info so we can see your stats? It really does get better, but depending on how far out you are will depend how long it's still gonna take. Also, everyone heals at a different rate. Have you talked to a therapist? It sounds like that could be a big help.

Ive had absolutely no problems

I had surgery 12/29/22 and I started at 260lbs. I’m now down to 236. I know it’s early on, just praying the struggle doesn’t last months and months. I do have a therapist, I meet with her weekly.

So you're barely over a week out - it's major surgery and it does take some time to bounce back from the body-shock. Some have a rougher time than others post-op, which sounds like where you're at. It's definitely not an easy recovery regardless, and some people experience very real hormonal disruption that can really bring on some horrible emotional turmoil. Regret right after surgery is actually pretty common.

And I know it's a broken record, but it's honestly true - it gets better. Hard to hear when you're in pain, feeling weak, and are trying to navigate a brand new and often overwhelming new life change, I know, but even folks who had a rough time like you will, months later, attest that it gets better and is worth it.

If you could have lost the weight without surgery you would have. We all would have. Never having long-term success is what brought us all to taking the surgical help. Be kind to yourself and like SleeveDiva2022 suggested, a bariatric therapist might be a good idea.

The first few months post-op are the hardest because you’re still healing from surgery and adjusting to a lot of changes, but you’re not yet getting the benefits of the weight loss. It’s very normal at this stage to have feelings of regret and wonder if the surgery was a mistake. As time goes by, though, it gets easier in many ways. You’ll be able to re-introduce more foods into your diet as well as get used to the changes that will become your new “normal.” And in the meantime, you’ll lose a lot of weight and get to experience life as a non-obese person. This rough part of your journey will be a blip in your memory, and if you’re like most of us, eventually your only regret will be that you didn’t do this sooner.

Buyer's remorse is normal. Being tired and dizzy and sluggish is normal. It took me a couple of months to start feeling like I was myself again.

Like you, I was a low-BMI patient with other health factors that got me approved.

Also, like you, I tried all the diets - and nothing stuck. Only 5% of people will keep their weight off, long term, just with diet and exercise alone. Bariatric surgery is BY FAR the best way to keep your weight off for life. Don't be fooled, we still have to diet and exercise, but the surgery helps us do that.

Hang in there. This too shall pass. It might pass like a kidney stone, but it WILL pass. :)

I understand that you are feeling frustrated and regretful about your decision to have surgery. It's normal to have ups and downs after any major procedure, and it can be especially difficult to adjust to the changes in your body and lifestyle that come with bariatric surgery. It's important to remember that everyone's journey is different, and what works for one person may not work for another. It's also worth keeping in mind that while surgery can be a helpful tool for some people, it's not a magic solution and it requires a lot of hard work and commitment to make lasting changes.

It's important to communicate your concerns and feelings with your healthcare team, as they can offer support and guidance as you navigate your recovery. It can also be helpful to seek out support from other people who have had bariatric surgery, as they may be able to offer insight and encouragement. Finally, try to be patient with yourself and remember that it takes time to adjust to the changes that come with surgery. It's okay to have difficult days, but try to focus on the progress you have made and the improvements in your health that you have experienced as a result of the surgery.

I had a revision to bypass on December 13th and the first few weeks were a struggle. No energy, horrible recovery compared to my VSG. i had a brief moment of "what did I do" thinking and then it was gone. At just about the 3-week mark I suddenly got ALL the energy back.. like deep cleaned my entire house energy... almost overdid it! I was SO happy to feel back to normal. You'll get there, too. :)

So you're barely over a week out - it's major surgery and it does take some time to bounce back from the body-shock. Some have a rougher time than others post-op, which sounds like where you're at. It's definitely not an easy recovery regardless, and some people experience very real hormonal disruption that can really bring on some horrible emotional turmoil. Regret right after surgery is actually pretty common.
And I know it's a broken record, but it's honestly true - it gets better. Hard to hear when you're in pain, feeling weak, and are trying to navigate a brand new and often overwhelming new life change, I know, but even folks who had a rough time like you will, months later, attest that it gets better and is worth it.
If you could have lost the weight without surgery you would have. We all would have. Never having long-term success is what brought us all to taking the surgical help. Be kind to yourself and like SleeveDiva2022 suggested, a bariatric therapist might be a good idea.
Thank you for saying all of this. I'm genuinely really nervous about this type of reaction and reading it didn't help. I am a mother of a 5 year old and this is all so I can end up being a better mom for him. I won't lie though... I'm [emoji32] [emoji79] [emoji33] kinda freaking out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my bypass on 8/31/22 and I've lurked in this forum even before that, as I was getting ready. I just joined today to reply to this post. I hope you are feeling better today, LivBee! I had a lot of complications after my surgery, including a stricture that closed to the size of a pinhole, keeping me from even being able to swallow Water at one point. I had to have two post-op dilations on 10/12 and 11/14. If I'd had to go back in for a third, they were going to put in a temporary stint, which they did not want to do. I was weak, dizzy, and malnourished for months after my surgery and yet I kept pushing myself to do things like I had the energy of someone else. I passed out in the shower once, and almost passed out on several other terrifying occasions away from my house. I had so much regret, but I kept saying, "I'd do this again. I'd do this again."

The reason I kept saying that? I was losing the weight, I was coming off of the T2 diabetic medications, my insulin needs were becoming less and less (I've gone from 50 units of insulin a day pre-op to 20 units a day, currently, and no other maintenance meds). I've gone off of blood pressure medications completely. Now? I do have the energy I was pretending to have before. No dizzy spells. My pre-op clothes are comically large. I could chase your twins around no problem. And I do believe you will get there too! Every body is different and every healing process is different. Like you, I also had the misfortune of trying every diet and exercise program out there with limited success before gaining everything back - and like you, I was approved for surgery because of my comorbid conditions. We are going to be brand new, healthier versions of ourselves, with all the hard work and struggle that common society thinks WLS patients skip. You keep it up, mama. Keep pushing, keep thriving. Keep smiling. You've got this!

Please be gentle with yourself ! Having any surgery is a shock to the body and to your brain ! Your body is telling you that it was cut into and it hurts ! Your body doesn't know that you needed this, or that in the long run, you will be healthier for it. I am glad you have a therapist to help you through the "thinking" part, but do not listen to anyone including yourself that tells you "it was JUST a few holes" or "it isn't a big deal" . NO ONE ELSE lives in your body except you.

I have had some major surgeries, and I can tell you waking up from weight loss surgery VSG was the most painful experience I have ever had. Lasted all of a half an hour when I insisted on speaking to a doctor and getting a different pain med. Problem solved. Do you need to get in more Protein ? Are you dehydrated ? Need more sleep ? Be proactive in talking to your doctors and your team. Expect to feel lousy. Let yourself heal. Be assured that this feeling and recovery will progress and you WILL feel better than ever soon !!!

I had bypass surgery 12/28/2022. I think we all probably had the thought, why did I do this? I went in feeling fine, came out feeling like I had been run over. It lasted a few days. Slowly got better. I am now feeling great. I can pretty much eat and drink whatever I want. I just chew it really good and eat small quantities. I hope things are going well for you.

Sent from my GN2200 using BariatricPal mobile app