Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op & HUNGRY ! Help!

Tomorrow is day 7 actually & I been doing 2 fairlife shakes a day & 2 Water bottles Jello & a sugar free popsicle broth wasn't cutting it for me especially in been doing it for weeks before surgery I cant even try anymore. Tomorrow I can incorporate oatmeal hot cereals, pudding & cream Soups in which I am so looking forward to! Is this hunger feeling normal??? I really just want to chew some food & get full already! I heard this first month is the toughest but mannn I can't wait to get back to solid foods to atleast eat all these healthy recipes I been looking up. :)

Advice please, suggestions for this 2nd week, did you stick to the plan or did you try soft foods early ? I'm just curious I'm trying to do everything by book.

Sent from my SM-N970U using BariatricPal mobile app

I followed my plan. It was tough going at times, but I did follow it. You'll be eating more-or-less normally again at some point (albeit smaller portions than you were pre-op), it's just these first few weeks and months that can be challenging. I toughed it out. I was tired of being morbidly obese and just wanted the weight GONE!

Stick to the plan! I feel your pain, I felt the e act same way! I broadened out to include Greek yogurt (watered down with almond milk) and Bone Broth and gatorade protein/Whey2O were my best friend during this time. Higher Protein absolutely helped me feel full and stay satisfied longer.

Sent from my SM-G998U using BariatricPal mobile app

I followed my plan. It was tough going at times, but I did follow it. You'll be eating more-or-less normally again at some point (albeit smaller portions than you were pre-op), it's just these first few weeks and months that can be challenging. I toughed it out. I was tired of being morbidly obese and just wanted the weight GONE!
Ya definitely going to tough it out I think things will get better tomorrow when I can add some different food in the mix [emoji846]

Stick to the plan! I feel your pain, I felt the e act same way! I broadened out to include Greek yogurt (watered down with almond milk) and Bone Broth and gatorade protein/Whey2O were my best friend during this time. Higher Protein absolutely helped me feel full and stay satisfied longer.

Sent from my SM-G998U using BariatricPal mobile app

I tried Greek yogurt too it just because I was a very picky eater before surgery so I expected this part to be tough but for the shakes were you making your own or the pre made shakes ?

I tried Greek yogurt too it just because I was a very picky eater before surgery so I expected this part to be tough but for the shakes were you making your own or the pre made shakes ?

I was/am a picky eater too. most whey shakes upset my stomach, so I used pre-made vegan shakes as well as made my own. Honestly I hated every minute of that phase. The Protein Water made things better, I use them even now. So it was hydrating and full of protein, but not thick and heavy like the shakes.

38yo F/ 5'10"/Heaviest:275/ SW:259/ CW:235

I was/am a picky eater too. most whey shakes upset my stomach, so I used pre-made vegan shakes as well as made my own. Honestly I hated every minute of that phase. The Protein Water made things better, I use them even now. So it was hydrating and full of Protein, but not thick and heavy like the shakes.

38yo F/ 5'10"/Heaviest:275/ SW:259/ CW:235

I seen people have the protein Water I need to see where I can find them I'm sure it will be way better then these shakes lol

A lot of your hunger could actually be head hunger & not real hunger. Our head can play lots of tricks. The boredom you’re feeling with the diet can cause head hunger. As well as coming to terms of eating such small amounts actually being enough (how can this little bit of food fill me up) can make you think you’re hungry. Stomach acid can also trick you into thinking you’re hungry & at the moment you’re likely producing the same amount of acid as you did for your larger old tummy. Are you on a PPI as they can help? Oh and most of the time a grumbling tummy is just your digestive system working & aren’t hunger pangs & a sign you’re hungry. Remember too lots of nerves were cut during the surgery so all the messages you used to know about feeling full & hungry aren’t working or aren’t working in the same way. Many of us find our signals are very different after surgery.

There are lots of new things to learn about your head & your body. But you’ll work it out. Just stick to your plan. The restricted diet is to protect & support your healing tummy & support your weight loss.

On 11/28/2022 at 1:20 PM, AXR313 said:

Tomorrow is day 7 actually & I been doing 2 fairlife shakes a day & 2 Water bottles Jello & a sugar free popsicle broth wasn't cutting it for me especially in been doing it for weeks before surgery I cant even try anymore. Tomorrow I can incorporate oatmeal hot cereals, pudding & cream Soups in which I am so looking forward to! Is this hunger feeling normal??? I really just want to chew some food & get full already! I heard this first month is the toughest but mannn I can't wait to get back to solid foods to atleast eat all these healthy recipes I been looking up. :)

Advice please, suggestions for this 2nd week, did you stick to the plan or did you try soft foods early ? I'm just curious I'm trying to do everything by book.

I found beef broth doesn't have as much Protein as chicken broth. I flavored it with taco seasoning, a Buffalo seasoning, smoked paprika.... Neighbor made French onion Soup, strained, it was delicious. But mostly I had cambell or lipton chicken noodle soup strained broth. Threw away the noodles chicken. I later moved to cream of chicken soup with dry milk powder to add protein.

head hunger can be a lot of the hunger you few early on… take the opportunity to make sure you are getting good nutrition and protein/fluids.. we are so used to chewing and eating three or more times a day it’s a bit of a mental trip to suddenly not… takes a while to adapt to your new realities (i am still adapting)

I am 1 Week Post-Op today. Yesterday, I just balled up on the floor and cried because I felt so hungry and weak. I had to remind myself that, yes, this is going to be tough, and it’s ok to feel down. ... and that my next snack was in less than an hour :) . Drank some Water, entertained myself with a puzzle, and just waited it out. Feeling a lot better today. And have high expectations for this afternoon, when I have my first post-op control with the surgeon and the nutritionist. Please, please, please... let me add SOME variety to my meals!