Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any ladies have a c-section and the VSG surgery? (obviously not at the same time lol lol)

My surgical experience is 2 c-sections in a year 18/19 years ago. (I currently have 2 18 year olds until Nov 10th) Does the physical recovery from VSG compare with c-section at all or too different to compare ?

I was asking about recovery i pre op and they said what many on the forum have said; it’s not a very painful recovery for most. I said that I had two c-sections and they said it’s nothing compared to a c-section. As always, tho, I want to hear first hand experiences !!

Edited by KimA-GA

I have not had a c section but have had a larger incision maybe half that size on my back from a melonoma they claimed was not where it was on the scan?? Anyways, From my experience the incision pain was night and day with the sleeve being much less. I assumed that was just because of size of the incision. My longest scar from the sleeve is barely an inch and I didn’t get that pulling feeling as they were trying to heal. I somehow dodged the gas pain though so I really can’t speak to that but in terms of incision pain I’m guessing if your survived a c section you can definitely deal with this.

I've had a c-section, a very large ovarian cyst removed, and various other abdominal procedures in addition to VSG. VSG was hands down the easiest and least painful recovery. The first few days the gas pain was pretty uncomfortable, then it sort of turned into general abdominal soreness, then it was just when I moved funny or did too much. By week 2 I really didn't have any pain at all. Of course, this varies WIDELY from person to person, but for me it really was not terribly painful.

I had two C-sections, both back in the day when you were seriously cut open. AND a hysterectomy, same way. This surgery for me, a piece of cake. Yes, I hurt-but I used the pain pills they gave me. But for me personally? not bad at all. I had the full blown bypass.

no c-section, but i did have a Tummy Tuck.

wls was waaaaaaaaaaay more tolerable than the TT.

I have had 2 C-sections and they are much worse. The small holes in you abdomen are nothing compared to a 10 inch cut at the base.

The only part that was worse was the air trapped in my chest cavity that day, but that only lasted a couple hours.

I'm against the grain here. My c-section was actually less painful than my bypass, but then again I was given pain medication after my c-section vs. Tylenol after my bypass.

Three c sections and a lap chole here. VSG by far the easiest recovery.

I don't have kids, so no c-section but I have my experience with surgeries.

My bypass was by far the least painful and easiest recovery. It was also my only "internal" surgery. I don't know if that makes a difference for recovery.

Through them all I am an easy patient, never complications, always healing up good, etc.

I had ACL repair

A leg osteotomy (google it, they cut my leg in half and realigned my bones)

Surgery to pull impacted wisdom teeth -5 of them.. yes I had 5 I have extra wisdom! haha (yes, actual surgery under general anesthesia and 1 night in the hospital, it was a big ordeal)

Surgery on my abdomen to clear out an severely poisonous brown recluse spider bite that was eating me from the inside out... PS also why I am TERRIFIED of spiders -legit arachnophobic here although I don't feel my fear is "irrational" This also happened in Elementary school, so I was super young!

And lastly skin removal surgery. I had lost about 170 lbs years ago through basic starvation and had 17 lbs of skin removed. This was BY FAR the most painful surgery I ever had. The ONLY surgery I regularly took pain meds for.

I am ANTI pain meds if I can help it! Too much addiction in my family and this world. If I can suffer through the pain, I will before taking pain meds.

1 hour ago, kcuster83 said:

I don't have kids, so no c-section but I have my experience with surgeries.

My bypass was by far the least painful and easiest recovery. It was also my only "internal" surgery. I don't know if that makes a difference for recovery.

Through them all I am an easy patient, never complications, always healing up good, etc.

I had ACL repair

A leg osteotomy (google it, they cut my leg in half and realigned my bones)

Surgery to pull impacted wisdom teeth -5 of them.. yes I had 5 I have extra wisdom! haha (yes, actual surgery under general anesthesia and 1 night in the hospital, it was a big ordeal)

Surgery on my abdomen to clear out an severely poisonous brown recluse spider bite that was eating me from the inside out... PS also why I am TERRIFIED of spiders -legit arachnophobic here although I don't feel my fear is "irrational" This also happened in Elementary school, so I was super young!

And lastly skin removal surgery. I had lost about 170 lbs years ago through basic starvation and had 17 lbs of skin removed. This was BY FAR the most painful surgery I ever had. The ONLY surgery I regularly took pain meds for.

I am ANTI pain meds if I can help it! Too much addiction in my family and this world. If I can suffer through the pain, I will before taking pain meds.

5 wisdom teeth, huh? Well now I know where one of mine went. I only ever had one. Lol

3 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

5 wisdom teeth!! you are super rare!

I had 4 removed in my 20's (under general as well). now that i think of it, recovery from that was pretty rough too. (i must have blocked that memory!! lol)

my jaw was HUGE with swelling. i had trouble swallowing (so my throat was sooooo painfully dry) and of course i couldn't eat. if i remember correctly i didn't eat for over a week and lost 10+ lbs...and i was like 115-120 lbs to begin with so i looked pretty wrecked.

10 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

5 wisdom teeth!! you are super rare!

I had 4 removed in my 20's (under general as well). now that i think of it, recovery from that was pretty rough too. (i must have blocked that memory!! lol)

my jaw was HUGE with swelling. i had trouble swallowing (so my throat was sooooo painfully dry) and of course i couldn't eat. if i remember correctly i didn't eat for over a week and lost 10+ lbs...and i was like 115-120 lbs to begin with so i looked pretty wrecked.

Ehhh I don't remember mine being so traumatic! Maybe I just blocked it out too. haha

5 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

I had extras too...lol. I had 4 top and 2 bottom so 6 total... You are the first person I have seen have extra

Just now, SuziDavis said:

I had extras too...lol. I had 4 top and 2 bottom so 6 total... You are the first person I have seen have extra

Same, I don't know anyone with extra (now, you) but I know a lot of people with less than 4. haha