Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

So, my surgery original date was scheduled for September 15th, 2022 for bypass. But unbeknownst to me found out i have condition called Situs Inversus, which is basically all my organ are on the opposite side of my body. My surgeon had not ever seen or yet had any experience with this and decided not to proceed with the Gastric Bypass. So i was closed back up and sent home 😕, and disappointed 😞. Last week my care coordinator sent me some referrals from Christiana Care in Delaware, PA, i live in North Carolina so just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the providers at this facility and if they could help me with my awesome anatomy. I've done some research on 2 that interest me but there bio really doesn't go into detail 😕. So just trying t figure this out and hopefully not get disappointed and discouraged again thanks all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. I’m sorry that this happened to delay your surgery but it could be a really good thing to know in the future like if you need an emergency surgery (they can get the best person to help you in that surgery asap) or if they ever do a procedure where they go in blind they can take whatever precautions. I assume that’s something that is stamped in bold across all your records kinda like a latex allergy because it’s something that would be really important to know. May even save your life someday knowing that. Who knows.

I’m sure someone out there went to that facility. I would think that it would be reasonable to call or email and ask them some of your questions about the surgeon such as how many of these operations they have they done on people with your unique anatomy. Or better yet, see if you can do a virtual visit with the surgeon.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was any imaging done before the surgery? I've heard a bit about this and my understanding is that something would have shown up on imaging.

I won't complain about my weird anatomy anymore, I'm all twisted, but it's nothing rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeap the unique thing about it it shows mirror image so it looks like every thing is were it's supposed to be but yeap ive posted to the provider forum hopefully ill get some feedback 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Wow. I’m sorry that this happened to delay your surgery but it could be a really good thing to know in the future like if you need an emergency surgery (they can get the best person to help you in that surgery asap) or if they ever do a procedure where they go in blind they can take whatever precautions. I assume that’s something that is stamped in bold across all your records kinda like a latex allergy because it’s something that would be really important to know. May even save your life someday knowing that. Who knows.

I’m sure someone out there went to that facility. I would think that it would be reasonable to call or email and ask them some of your questions about the surgeon such as how many of these operations they have they done on people with your unique anatomy. Or better yet, see if you can do a virtual visit with the surgeon.

Your absolutely right, and ive done all the above, just waiting. Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Yearofme43 said:

Yeap the unique thing about it it shows mirror image so it looks like every thing is were it's supposed to be but yeap ive posted to the provider forum hopefully ill get some feedback 😊

Yea I have only ever heard of that on tv. Even there they said it was really uncommon. On the show the interns were all excited to see it. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ShoppGirl said:

Yea I have only ever heard of that on tv. Even there they said it was really uncommon. On the show the interns were all excited to see it. Lol

Yeap one of my co workers said she seen it on Greys Anatomy, she was so excited that she knows one of the o.o5% of people that has this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ex's uncle had this. Usually it's stumbled upon accidentally during an emergent surgery situation. Which is what happened with his uncle. He had emergency appendectomy probably about 50 years ago and the surgeons were just dumbfounded when they opened his abdomen. So of course this has nothing to do with weight loss surgery, but my advice would be if you live close to a university that teaches medicine, and has a bariatric center, reach out to them. They would LOVE to get their scalpels on you, lol. Sorry, bad joke. But yeah, they love hard cases, and atypical cases. They publish papers on these cases.

You're in North Carolina. How close are you to Wake Forest, they have a bariatric center https://www.wakehealth.edu/treatment/b/bariatric-surgery

I wish you the best! Keep us updated!

Edited by I♡BypassedMyPhatAss♡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, I♡BypassedMyPhatAss♡ said:

My ex's uncle had this. Usually it's stumbled upon accidentally during an emergent surgery situation. Which is what happened with his uncle. He had emergency appendectomy probably about 50 years ago and the surgeons were just dumbfounded when they opened his abdomen. So of course this has nothing to do with weight loss surgery, but my advice would be if you live close to a university that teaches medicine, and has a bariatric center, reach out to them. They would LOVE to get their scalpels on you, lol. Sorry, bad joke. But yeah, they love hard cases, and atypical cases. They publish papers on these cases.

You're in North Carolina. How close are you to Wake Forest, they have a bariatric center https://www.wakehealth.edu/treatment/b/bariatric-surgery

I wish you the best! Keep us updated!

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So follow up from my care coordinator relayed to me the provider in Delaware suggested that i find a surgeon closer to North Carolina, Raleigh were i live. That sucked. THAT WAS THE SURGEON THAT INFORMED ME THAT I HAD SITUS INVERSUS. He was in Pinehurst . So im back on the hunt again. 🤪 if anyone know a surgeon that will take SURGERY Plus Benefits it would be great thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't this condition but I have something called a torturous colon. I am confused about it though because they say it is congential. They found it on a recent colonoscopy, well I have had those before and was never told I had this torturous colon thing. I did talk to my bariatric surgeon and he did not seem concerned but I can relate to having some weird anatomy thing. I pray you find someone close to your home that can help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Merri Beth said:

I don't this condition but I have something called a torturous colon. I am confused about it though because they say it is congential. They found it on a recent colonoscopy, well I have had those before and was never told I had this torturous colon thing. I did talk to my bariatric surgeon and he did not seem concerned but I can relate to having some weird anatomy thing. I pray you find someone close to your home that can help.

You have given me hope , thanks for sharing, a d the prayers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • NickelChip

      I'm checked into the hotel near the hospital and just had my last protein shake of the day. My mom has kindly gone down to the restaurant alone so as not to make me die from watching her eat dinner. Checking in at the hospital tomorrow at 10:50am. So ready!
      · 1 reply
      1. BeanitoDiego

        Pulling for ya!

    • Clueless_girl

      6 wks post surgery, had to go back to the hospital to replenish potassium levels. STILL struggling with abdominal pain and nausea. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

      Six months pots-op as of yesterday. I celebrated with a HIIT class where I was challenged to do a wall-assisted handstand. I truly thought there's no way in hell that I can get up there. Well... I proved myself wrong. The instructor said, "Just try getting one foot up there." I tried and it was so easy, that the other foot went up, and the next thing that I knew, I was standing on my hands with my legs up in the air, leaning against the wall.
      Last weekend I challenged myself to a 10-mile hike, and I was SURE that my legs would be non-functional that night and the next day. But that didn't happen at all.  But I did learn that I need a new hiking boot or shoe. I've got a goal of walking the Portuguese coastal route of the El Camino later this year, and I good shoes will be essential.
      I've hit another weight loss stall, but that's to be expected. I am so close to my goal already that if it does take 6 more months to get that last stone off, that's okay with me. And I am building muscle, so that stone may never move. S'alright friends, s'alright.
      · 1 reply
      1. Bypass2Freedom

        Congratulations! I bet that felt awesome to achieve! 😄

    • South Coast Deli

      South Coast Deli brings a superhero flair to fast, casual dining with three locations across Santa Barbara. Dive into a diverse menu featuring breakfast sandwiches, bagels, hearty salads, and a variety of sandwiches, including vegan and vegetarian options. Whether you're craving a classic deli experience or a warm panini, this deli satisfies with quick service and a playful atmosphere. Perfect for on-the-go meals or a leisurely bite, South Coast Deli is your go-to for fresh, delicious fare with a comic book twist.
       
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Annievincent

      Can I have cream of chicken soup on pre operation  liquid diet
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×