Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost 110 pounds but now at 1500 calories a day

Like the title says. I’ve lost 110 pounds and have another 20 to go to be a ‘normal’ BMI. 14 months post op. However my calorie intake has shot up as I’m hungry again. Now eating between 1300 to 1500 a day. I’m tall (5ft 9).

I guess I’m panicking that the days of 1200 calories and lower are gone and from here on in it’s about slow weight loss and/or maintenance.

I feel like I’m heating so much at 1500 calories but logically I know I’m not. But it’s frightening.

I work out two to three times a week and walk loads.

Am I eating too much now? Did anyone else panic as more calories came into your eating habits.

To add more, I’m worried it’s all starting to unravel and I’ll gain all the weight back.

Everyone is different In terms of what amount of calories they need to eat to continue losing. It depends on metabolism, activity level, age, etc. You may find that you do not lose at 1500 and need to add more exercise or cut calories but you also may lose just fine at that amount. You may find that you aren’t able to maintain the level of calories required to keep losing the closer you get to a “normal” bmi. I got to six pounds away and I just couldn’t do it. I was hungry and just had to accept that since I didn’t want to add more exercise and couldn’t eat less that I am just not going to reach that goal. I am 5’8” female and I got to 169 and stayed there for months before I decided to go to maintenance which basically meant to keep doing what I was doing. I am not by any means saying give up cause you may still have some to lose but not all WLS patients get to a “normal” BMI.

Can I ask how many calories you’re at now, ShoppGirl?

5 minutes ago, bluebellblue said:

Can I ask how many calories you’re at now, ShoppGirl?

Around 13- 1500 but I am pretty sedentary. My only exercise is walking. I have actually been gaining back a bit which I am gonna ask my dr about tomorrow.

Edited by ShoppGirl

The only real way to know this would be to have your Basal or Resting Metabolic Rate analyzed. While BMR and RMR are technically slightly different, they are often used interchangeably. The tests to determine this are readily available in clinics and even some gyms. You should be able to find some options by googling something like "metabolic testing near me". Note that there are a few different types of tests used (feel free to research them), and some are a bit more accurate than others, but they are generally pretty close.

Alternately, there are online calculators that you can use, and even some digital scales (those that use BIA), that can also provide either your BMR or RMR. Unfortunately, neither the scales or calculators are all that accurate. It's not uncommon for those to be off by 10 or even 20%. Obviously more than enough to have you potentially eating too much.

Edited by SpartanMaker

That’s really helpful, will do research on that.

it's hard to say. I would lose weight on 1500 calories (albeit slowly), but some people would gain. I've been in maintenance for several years (and have been hanging out on bariatric boards for about eight years). I know people who can maintain on 2000 calories, and others who can only eat 1200. You can always experiment with different calorie ranges and see at what point you lose, at what point you maintain, and at what point you start gaining. That's really the only way to do it other than the RMR test that someone above mentioned.

at any rate, 1500 calories isn't that much. Some people do gain on that, but then, you're pretty tall so I'm guessing you'd either maintain or lose on that much.

also, the closer you get to a normal BMI, the slower weight loss becomes. That's just a fact.

1200 calories is super low, unless you're short or have an incredibly low metabolism. Most people can't really sustain that forever. Personally, I'd give up the ghost on that one. As I said, even 1500 is pretty low for most people....sustainable, but low. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're gaining on that.

for the record, I can maintain on 1500-1700 calories. If I'm doing some heavy exercise, I can go up to 1800 or so - maybe even higher.

How tall are you cat woman? Just trying to gauge different experiences

1 hour ago, bluebellblue said:

How tall are you cat woman? Just trying to gauge different experiences

5'6".

To add to everyone’s great advice above, don’t forget, your rate of loss slow as you get nearer to your body’s set weight. This is the weight your body is happiest at & will settle at. The surgery resets this from where it was but it may not be the weight you want to be. To get below this weight you will have to consume less & do more. It will be more of a struggle & difficult to maintain that lower weight because you’re fighting your body.

Personally I’d put on weight at 1500 but I’m short at 5’3”, not very active, more finely built & 57. But before surgery I couldn’t lose eating 900 calories.

But don’t think your weight loss is over yet. You’ll get where you’re supposed to be in your time & there’s nothing wrong with that.

Don't panic. 1500 calories is not a lot. If you are still loosing (even slower) then you are fine. If you are comfortable where you are and stop loosing, then you are fine.

Either way, just try it an adjust. Everyone is different and there are so many factors to take in account.

My Dietician told me at my last apt that I will most likely be around 2000-2200 calories (very tall) once I get to maintenance! I eat around 1000-1200 a day now and on the higher end days I am munchy and having Snacks. I am already trying to figure out how I would double that. It makes me worry about eating more high calorie foods or more snacks and then spiraling out of control. I am trying not to over think it as I am still a bit away from that point.

My point is, I understand your worries but slow down and take it day to day.

You can do it, hell, you already have.

I totally get your worries too - I have also been eating noticeably more in the last few weeks because I am hungrier, and I am fearful that it will just keep increasing and increasing until I'm back to eating too much of the wrong foods again and regaining everything. That's my big fear. And it does happen to some people who did really well post op. I think all we can do is keep tracking, keep observing the effects of a higher calorie intake on our bodies and try and get help early if eating does actually get out of hand again. There's lots of help here, and you should be able to ask your surgeon/dietician too.

I really hope that you lose those final 20lbs, you have done so well it would be lovely to get where you really want to be. But even if you don't I hope you're fine in the long term and happy with all you've achieved - it's amazing.

My maintenance calories is around 1700-1800. Everyone's maintenance calories differs though...

Edited by NovaLuna
spelling

just wanted to hop back on here to add that the last 20 lbs was a BEAR for me to get off. At that point I was only losing around 2 lbs a month. Yes - a month. But I kept at it, and they did eventually come off.