Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I dont think its weird at all. If you are comfortable sharing, it might help another person start on their journey. I spoke with a co worker who I had worked with for several years and I had no idea that she had wls quite awhile ago. I was surprised that she had had it so long ago and she looked great still. She also told me one other co worker had had wls too many years ago. So those were 2 postive experiences for me. Believe me I had lots of questions for her. When I finally made the decision to have the surgery, I told my best friend first before I even told my hubby. I told my hubby who was suprisingly supportive and I have told my sons and my daughter who have also been amazing. I have not mentioned anything to my sisters or any other friends. Im just not ready to tell them anything yet. I dont even have my surgery scheduled yet.

9 hours ago, Arabesque said:

One because she’s always been very competitive with me so there was no way I was telling her. She thinks I went to a dietician which is partially true. 

My general response when I'm asked about my weight loss is that I did a year-long medically supervised weight loss program, which is also basically true.

9 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Wonder if family & friends have the potential to be most vocal about their negative (& often uneducated) opinions because they believe they have the right to tell you you’re doing the wrong thing & feel they have to ‘save/protect’ you from a such a terribly bad decision.

The two people who were the most hostile about my decision to undergo surgery were my sister and a close friend, both of whom are quite obese themselves. I don't think it was about protecting me. My guess is that they felt threatened by the fact that I was taking a positive step to improve my life and lose the weight.

Part of the reason I'm so vocal about it is because I know (from when I was a waitress for 3 years a LONG time ago) that as soon as an obese person is seated, they start talking about them. I use to feel so bad for the customer, because we didn't know why they were overweight, if they had surgery or not, if there was a health reason for the weight, yet some of the waitresses would talk crap. If I can be open and share why I order the way I do, even though I look big still, maybe that will stop some of the jumping to conclusions and making assumptions. I'm proud of my success so far, and I'm proud I had the surgery, but I also know what it's like being thin and being obese. And if I can change even 1 person's way of thinking, then I'm all about it. I'm thankful and grateful I have the support I've had, but I know not everyone does. And I hate that. So if some of the stigma can be lifted, even a tiny bit, I'll do what I can. Even if it's over-sharing with my waitress lol