Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Way back, when I weighed what I do now, I don't remember always being cold like this!!! I'm not skinny, or even thin. I'm still considered morbidly obese. Yet before, I was always feeling overheated, and now I'm always cold!!! I wear thick socks around the house, pants, long sleeved shirts, and I'm still cold lol It's so weird to me. Also, my bp (which I used to be on meds for) now stays around 105/63 - 110/72 all the time now. That's awesome, but still takes some getting used to. I'm 5 months and 1 week out from surgery, and the changes are just wild!!!

I have ALWAYS been cold... 400lbs or 250 lbs.. ALWAYS COLD! (not Anemic, been checked multiple times)

It is SO much worse now since surgery. I am so cold all the time, like bone chilling cold!

2 minutes ago, kcuster83 said:

I have ALWAYS been cold... 400lbs or 250 lbs.. ALWAYS COLD! (not Anemic, been checked multiple times)

It is SO much worse now since surgery. I am so cold all the time, like bone chilling cold!

YES!!!! Like, why? It's annoying. We're in Fall right now, but I live in Colorado. By the time full blown winter hits, holy cow I'm gonna be a popsicle lol

The struggle is real. I'm constantly freezing and I am by no way a thin woman. It's been a constant since surgery. That didn't used to be my life, I used to always be hot.

I am sat on the sofa in my sock boots and loads of layers. I have a backup blanket. As soon as I stop moving, I need to layer up. Like everyone else I was so hot all the time, its still a weird feeling to be so cold

Due to world problems our heating bills have quadrupled in the UK and its going to be an expensive winter even with help from the government. We haven't had a bitter freezing winter since forever, so fingers crossed for this year

I have experienced a strange phenomenon when it comes to being cold. When I went from 300s to 160 (and stayed there for many years), I was constantly cold. Like to the bone cold. Painfully cold. Last year, I had a revision to RNY for my gerd and have been 110 lbs. +/- 3 lbs. range for the past few months, and I no longer feel "cold" 24/7. I even kick off my blankets at night, something I haven't done for years. I had thought I would be even more cold. Confusing. lol It's more normal now but still leaning a little to being cold but not painfully so. I think it's totally weird BUT maybe others have experienced it. I haven't researched it at all.

I wanted to add, I wound up asking for an electric blanket last year for Christmas. I got two, and it's the best. I keep one in my room, and one in the basement. I don't need them all the time, but when I am REALLY cold and nothing else is helping, the electric blanket is awesome.

Even before WLS I was always cold thanks to hypothyroidism. I’m even colder now since losing weight. I wear a long sleeve shirt under my uniforms and a jacket to work most of the time and bundle up at home. I already miss summer. 😩

I think there's probably a few reasons this happens.

1. Fat is insulating, so the less fat you have, the colder you'll feel.
  2. Our metabolisms have slowed down. This means we're basically burning less fuel, so just like a heater on low vs. on high, there's less heat being generated.
  3. Our circulatory systems have also slowed down. Most us us seems to have much lower blood pressure and a slower pulse than we had before. Blood is the way heat is distributed throughout our bodies, thus since we're moving less blood slower, it's harder to distribute the limited heat we are producing.

I was always a very hot natured person no matter what I weighed, and I had heard people who day they felt cold all the time after wls. I never thought it would happen to me, but it did! For about the first year and a half I was freezing all the all the time! I would have to wear several layers of clothing. I was even sleeping in pj's with a sweatshirt on and socks AND several blankets. It was crazy because I have never been a cold person! I'm over 2 years post op now and I seem to be back to normal for the most part but I do seem to get colder than I used to. I'm not super freezing all the time now though.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app

I’ve always felt the cold when the temperature drops, but yeah - I feel it even more since surgery. We just had our winter down here and I was a wimp! I’m really curious to see how I fare as summer hits without all the body fat I used to have.

1 hour ago, Smanky said:

I’ve always felt the cold when the temperature drops, but yeah - I feel it even more since surgery. We just had our winter down here and I was a wimp! I’m really curious to see how I fare as summer hits without all the body fat I used to have.

Lols I think your winter might be a UK summer

I am so jealous. I am over a year and a half out and pretty sure I have lost all I am going to. I sweat. Alot!! and really hoped this would get better as I lost weight but it hasn’t. At first I typed this big long message to tell you guys how much it suck’s to sweat all the time but it felt like it belonged In the rants and raves forum so I deleted it, lol. I guess I really can’t say for sure but I honestly think I would prefer being cold to being hot all the time. Maybe it’s a grass is always greener type thing.

it's pretty common after surgery - I think part of it is loss of "insulation", and part of it might be that our internal thermostat gets screwed up - at least temporarily - since it often happens pretty soon after surgery, when we're still pretty well-insulated. For some people (like me...), it's a temporary phenomenon, for others it's permanent (or at least lasts for a really long time...).

I am so jealous. I am over a year and a half out and pretty sure I have lost all I am going to. I sweat. Alot!! and really hoped this would get better as I lost weight but it hasn’t. At first I typed this big long message to tell you guys how much it suck’s to sweat all the time but it felt like it belonged In the rants and raves forum so I deleted it, lol. I guess I really can’t say for sure but I honestly think I would prefer being cold to being hot all the time. Maybe it’s a grass is always greener type thing.
I definitely prefer being cold to hot ANY day! Now that I'm back to baseline I get hot easily like I always have. I was hoping I'd stay a cold person but it was not to be!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app