Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Month Out, How did you do.

I am at my one month mark, and pretty frustrated. I lost a good amount at first, then a major 2 week stall... and then only a little more.

I feel like this whole first month did not go well.

How did your first month go?

Here is my info month to month. I am a guy tho lol I had surgery on April 18th. So the April section is before surgery. Then May would be 1 month after.

new eigh in.png

Edited by liveaboard15

I only knew the weight at the beginning of the month (day of surgery) and the last day at the 1 month follow-up. I didn't (couldn't) weigh myself at home as I was too large for a home scale.

So, while I have no doubt I went through stalls I didn't actually see (or feel) any of them. No angst. No frustration. Just month after month of weight loss.

When I was finally able to weigh on a home scale I weighed several times a day, it was a hoot seeing the weight go (usually) up and down during the day. Once the novelty wore off I returned to only weighing at follow-ups, and when they ended, only at medical appointments (if they ask, which isn't usual) or at annual physicals.

There are other ways to know how we are doing. Since my primary goal was getting healthier and being able to move around better those are my key measures. They also happened to be my surgeon's key measures, he never once asked about my weight. How clothes fit is another measure. Mental attitude is yet another.

Good luck,

Tek

ETA: I did not include any actual weights because my starting weight was so high that my monthly numbers look wildly high. This and other differences are why comparing numbers only creates more angst.

Edited by The Greater Fool

27 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

I only knew the weight at the beginning of the month (day of surgery) and the last day at the 1 month follow-up. I didn't (couldn't) weigh myself at home as I was too large for a home scale.

So, while I have no doubt I went through stalls I didn't actually see (or feel) any of them. No angst. No frustration. Just month after month of weight loss.

When I was finally able to weigh on a home scale I weighed several times a day, it was a hoot seeing the weight go (usually) up and down during the day. Once the novelty wore off I returned to only weighing at follow-ups, and when they ended, only at medical appointments (if they ask, which isn't usual) or at annual physicals.

There are other ways to know how we are doing. Since my primary goal was getting healthier and being able to move around better those are my key measures. They also happened to be my surgeon's key measures, he never once asked about my weight. How clothes fit is another measure. Mental attitude is yet another.

Good luck,

Tek

ETA: I did not include any actual weights because my starting weight was so high that my monthly numbers look wildly high. This and other differences are why comparing numbers only creates more angst.

I think I need to stop the once a week weigh in and go to once a month.

I think it's human nature (and perhaps in my case just basic nosiness, ha) to want to know how other people got on, even if it does result in some angst. Takes great strength of will not to. Usually you will hear that some people have lost weight more quickly and people have lost weight more slowly than you. Stalls happen to everyone and they can be really rough mentally, but they always break.

In the first 6 weeks after my sleeve I lost 17lbs. I hope this is helpful to the OP. Good luck on your journey all. :99_muscle:

Ok, breath. Sounds a pretty common story so far from what you shared. You’ve lost weight (yay!) & you’ve experienced your first stall. You sound like you’re doing okay really.

You didn’t say how much you’ve lost but while there are average rates of loss, some lose more rapidly, others more slowly. Age, amount you have to lose, starting weight, general health, how your body reacts, etc. will influence your rate of loss. And that’s fine.

Weight loss is never a straight evenly paced downward line. It goes up & down, zigs & zags, plateaus., … As long as your general trend is downwards you’re doing great.

Almost every single person experiences at least one stall. The first usually occurs around week 3 +/-. They usually last one to three weeks. They can be frustrating but are just your body taking a time out to come to terms with the changes (surgery, change of diet, weight loss, etc.) Just like you experience & react to emotional stress (like your current frustration), a stall is a physical reaction to the stress you’re physically experiencing.