Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a bit lost : PCOS, losing slowly...

Hi everyone,

I'm kinda new in here, don't know how it works but I need to share my experience because I don't know where I stand :(

I've done the gastric sleeve at the begining of January with a starting weight of 219 lbs (99,5 kg). I'ts been 8 months since, and I'm now at 187 lbs (85kg). Am I paranoid or is it very very slow ? Only lost 33 lbs (15kg)

I've got PCOS and I'm aware that having hormonal imbalances may affect my weight loss and my starting weight was maybe low compared to someone else but I am starting to feel worried about the surgery. Maybe it did not work out well for me ? Is it normal ? My doctor said I should be at 149 at the end.

Is anyone else is in my situation or know someone in my condition ?

I eat well, eat my veggies and Protein first and I don't have a sweet tooth anymore (rarely rarely eat between meals). I know that my carb intake is still important but I mean I don't eat THAT much. I always eat it at the end of the meal, knowing that I can never finish my plate. Good Water intake too.

Thank you for any testimony and reassurance :)

Hello.

Really everyone is different. Without knowing all of your details it is hard to say. You could talk it over with your Dietician or Nutritionist? They could go over your diet with you, and see if they find something that could be slowing things down. Be open and honest, it will only help you.

I eat carbs (minimal because of how much I can eat), my team and Nutritionist are very "balanced diet" friendly. But again, everyone is different. Some people's body hate carbs and other are fine with eating them.

Like you mentioned, if you have less to loose than you will loose slower. As well as when people starting out bigger get closer to a "normal" weight they slow down substantially. I have a friend who has been trying to loose her last 20 lbs for months now. Just have to keep pushing.

Good luck, loss is still loss no matter how fast or slow you think it is going!

I had the sleeve done 12/22/2021. I've only lost 42 lbs. However, I'm 61 and I think my age has a lot to do with it. I haven't lost anything for about 2 months. Yes very frustrating. My blood pressure is down and I feel really good. One weird thing is that even though I haven't lost weight in 2 months, my clothes are getting bigger and I've gone down a size. I did start back to my gym, I agree, I think you need to see a dietician. Good luck to you.

I have PCOS and that is a factor when it comes to weight loss. It literally holds on to the weight. Also, if you start at a lower bmi, the weight will be slower in coming off. Are you sticking to the diet? Are you exercising several times a week? Are you snacking a lot? I agree, I would talk with your doctor, have your blood work done and hormone levels checked, and see if maybe taking Metformin will help. Also, pay close attention to your non scale victories. When the scale isn't doing what you want, those will be life savers.

I feel for you - it's hard enough going through weight loss surgery even when we lose weight at the rate we want to.

Do you track calories? It might be worth doing so for a few days just to get a feel for where you are at the minute.

Slow but sure can win the race just was well - don't give up, you're averaging a pound a week by the looks of it and that will all add up in the end.

Hi everyone, thank you all for your interest !

My doctor is not very available, I regret sooo much to had it done by him.

I'm at an average of 1200-1300cal a day. Is it too much ? Since the second month I was able to eat more that my fellow surgery buddies who got it at the same time as me but again, we think the doctor did my gastric sleeve a bit larger since I only had 70lbs to loose.

Go to work by walk, but that's it. I'm aware that I should exercise more.

I eat regarding to my pcos and hormonal imbalances. Cutting calories does not work for me, I have insulin resistance. Metformin does not work for me either (stomach pain), I use ovasitol now. As I said, rarely eat between meals, even if I do it's mostly Protein.

I've got an appointment the next month, will see with the nutritionist.

The weird thing is, I've lost like 15 pounds the first month, then nothing for 3 months, then 8 lbs again a month, then nothing for 2 months again and on until a loss of 33lbs. Only lost 2 pounds last months. Very irregular.

I hope to see a change until the end of this year. I don't put a lot of pressure because I know I've got insulin resistance and a lower bmi and I was aware that it would be slower than others, but it's hard as you may all know.

Thank you again :)