Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DID you GAIN OR LOSE WEIGHT POST-OP BEFORE YOUR FIRST FILLS.

DID YOU GAIN OR LOSE POST OP BEFORE FILLS? (MULTI CHOICE)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. DID YOU GAIN OR LOSE POST OP BEFORE FILLS? (MULTI CHOICE)

• Overall I Gained Post-Op (Before fills)
    • Overall I Lost weight Post Op (Before Fills)
    • Overall I stayed the Same (Until Fills started)
    • I Kept Losing weight the whole time, but I was HUNGRY
    • I lost weight at first, then gained during Soft/Real Foods
    • I had good restriction and never gained
    • I lost restriction after 3-4 weeks post-op and got hungry
    • I lost restriction 4-6 weeks post-op and got hungry
    • I lost restriction 7 weeks or more post-op and got hungry
    • I gained 1-5 Pounds Post-Op before fills
    • I gained 6-10 pounds Post-Op before fills
    • I gained more than 10 pounds Post-Op before fills
    • I lost 1-5 Pounds Post-op before fills
    • I lost 6-15 Pounds Post-op before fills
    • I lost 16 Pounds or more Post-op before fills

So many have had questions about gaining or losing during the "healing" period after surgery (for purposes of this, let us say it is about six weeks).

Some gain during the soft food period and after. This is so normal, according to my doctor. It is a time of healing and many of us, after the swelling, experience a return to the same ability to eat as post-surgery - until we start to get fills.

What was TRUE FOR YOU? Post is here and VOTE!

IT'S MULTIPLE CHOICE - CHOOSE ALL THAT APPLY

I had a high Protein low carb / no sugar pre-op diet (1 week)

After surgery I was put on the same - so I had no "liquid stage" or "mushy stage" - my doc told me to eat what I felt comfortable eating.

I was banded on Nov 19 and since then I've lost maybe 7lbs.

I will say this:

I'm starving.

The fact that I haven't gained any weight is ALL willpower.

The fact that I haven't lost any weight is I'm HUNGRY.

SOOOO - I will eat what I want, but I'm doing my best to watch my portions.

Right now I feel very much "in limbo" .. we'll see what happens after my 1st fill (Jan 9) 6 weeks post op.

I lost pretty good before my first fill. I was so nervous about damaging the band that I stayed on a srtict eating plan, got used to it and am still doing it. Seems to work for me. Total lost since surgery on 8/30 is over 80 lbs, so I must be doing it rght...LOL

I was banded 10/08/07 and have had two fills since with my thrid scheduled for 12/26. I am just holding on with willpower at this point - it is tough, but doable.

At my last appt they told me that I have lost 6 inches from my waist so that alone is worth the trouble for me until I get to restriction.

I love my band!

I didn't lose a pound until I got my first fill. I've had 3 fills since being banded and have lost about 8 pounds per month. Not fast but hey I'll get there eventually. I definately feel better by a long shot and with each fill I get better restriction and satiety. I love my band but it took me a long time to feel that way, almost four months!

I've been very fortunate to be a consistant loser from my band date of 9-13-06. At first i think a continuous loss was inevatible just due to the vast change in the quantity of food consumed. Now as more then a year has past and im closing in on ONDERLAND (woohoo) it takes more of a conscience effort on my behalf. I had my 9th fill last week and still am searching for that perfect level of restriction, but i still manage to lose though not nearly as fast.

i was banded, lost 12 lbs, went to solids...gained it all back. i've had one fill, and i have no restriction (i ate 4 pieces of pizza last night). my will power is dead, and i have BIG problems dieting...BUT..i do not drink with my meals, and i do not drink liquid calories. i also do not exercise.

so...now i am as i was prior to surgery..i am the same weight..but now i have a "muffin top"..never had one of those before...and this morning i could not button a pair of pants that i have worn now for over 6 months WTF???? i have a distended...prego looking abdomen..and i'm irritated as hell because my doctor cannot fit me in for a fill.

soo....that is it in a nutshell.

I lost the most weight during this period, but only because I followed my surgeon's advice and did a clear liquid fast for 24 days.

But having said that, I can say that I have never gained weight. I have fluctuated, and I have stalled for 6 months, but never gained any weight.

I love looking at this data... I wish I had understood all the ways this can go before I had my surgery. Very interesting. Thanks to everyone who voted and is to vote in the future. Let's keep this going - I think "pre-surgicals" might find this helpful.

I lost 60 lbs between my banding and my first fill. My inusrance makes you wait 90 days for your first fill...so I was banded in July and had my first fill 10/11... Initially it was relatively easy, but by the beginning of Sept, I was struggling. I just followed a diet and figured I could do that until I got restriction. So, I ate three times a day (4oz protein...2oz vegg...2ozcarb (not ery often))...cut out almost all white carbs...and drank Water or Protein Shakes between meals if I was hungry.

My first fill has done nothing for me and my second fill is scheduled for January 11th. Looking forward to a little more restriction.

My goal is 100lbs by Feb 10th...7 months since banding...

Take care.

Rain

I lost almost 15 pounds. I had to wait 4 weeks for my first fill. I was really too scared to eat because I didn't want to hurt anything. The financial commitment alone was spurring me on to do what I was supposed to do. I couldn't afford a revision or a redo if I screwed it up eating crap that I wasn't supposed to ;)

I lost 27 lbs in the first 5-6 weeks but nothing in the last week. I have been eating more in the last week so I am grateful I haven't gained anything. Looks like I have to get back to basics to start losing again ... second fill in Jan 08.

I was banded November 19th. So yesterday was 4 weeks out. For whatever reason, I seem to have some restriction. Not a lot, but enough for me to notice. If I eat to much or to fast I hurt. I've gotten stuck once. No PBs yet. I'm eating anywhere from 3/4 cup of food to 1 1/2 cups of food, depending on the food. I can eat a lot of Soup, but solids.... 3/4 cup and I'm stuffed. I'm following the rules to the letter and I have lost 21 pounds in 4 weeks. I was not required to do a pre-op liquid diet except for two days prior to surgery, so I only lost 2 pounds. I'm also exercising more than I have in 8 years. That definately helps. I have had NO fills yet, but my doc put in 4 CCs into my 10 cc band while in surgery. I get hungry occasionally. Mostly in the evening before dinner. Past that, my Water seems to control my daytime hunger. So far so good.

Banded April 16th. I lost weight.. then restriction wore off, I was hungry, and I had bad moments (I was working on my wedding), and I still lost an average of 2lbs a month. I never got a fill till Sept. when they fixed my port. My weight loss wasn't constant.. For example, in June I lost 0lbs. I didn't gain a single pound (WOW!) but I didn't lose a single pound. Then in July, I was on my honeymoon, wedding, eating lots of left-over wedding cake and restaurants in Vegas.. and I still lost 8lbs that month. Then 16lbs in August. So for the 3 months, I averaged 2lbs a week.