Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months post sleeve to bypass revision and dealing with DUMPING

I thought I was dealing with reactive hypoglycemia and so did my surgeon's NP. However, my rockstar dietitian took a chunk of time with me to really tease things apart. She wasn't 100% convinced it was hypoglycemia and agreed with my purchase of a cheap glucose meter. Her guess was that it was dumping syndrome, but delayed because I was going to bed after eating the triggering food and waking up due to the symptoms. 2 nights ago I purposefully ate a triggering food without eating any Protein. Sure enough I woke up drenched in sweat and feeling horrible.... blood sugar was 100 so not hypoglycemia. So yeah, dumping syndrome....

Then last night I wasn't thinking and ate some high fat and high carb food right before I headed into work and oh my...... Work was difficult last night and had to sit down quite a bit (I do after hours janitorial work). I'm thinking the symptoms I thought was hypoglycemia is really due to low blood pressure. The pain of the muscle cramps is very real and wore me out. It's 12 hours later and I'm still sore. I really need to change my diet, AGAIN. uggggg.....

On a much more positive note, the reason I had the revision has been fully resolved, no more dangerous reflux and no more esophageal spasms due to the reflux. The reflux was so bad it was starting to create pre-cancerous changes in my esophagus. I'll be having another endoscopy in a month or two to confirm how much healing has taken place. My team and I are absolutely thrilled with the additional 30 pounds of weight loss. If I loose more, great, but I'm 100% happy with where I'm at right now. I'm probably the healthiest I've been in my whole life. It's been close to 30 years since I've been in the low 160s (and I'm only 44). I'm comfortably in size 8 pants and M shirts, my dream sizes when I started this whole journey 8+ years ago.

Hmm, I found myself faint at times and wondered if it could be dumping. Then it happened without eating.

Also, I found out my blood pressure was plummeting.

So far I don't seem to dump, luckily... or maybe not lucky. haha.

Congratulations on your weight loss. Hopefully the fact that you dump, once you learn how to avoid doing it, will be a good thing (to help keep you on track).

I've had delayed dumping syndrome due to too much fat from batter-fried fish. It appeared about 6 months after RNY>RNY revision. I had bloating and belly pain starting 24 hours after that meal. It lasted for several days, gradually improving. I feared bowel torsion but had bowel sounds and a BM so the clinic PA said it was delayed dumping. It happened again 3 weeks later after eating smoked fish.

I had never heard of delayed dumping syndrome--it was much worse than sugar dumping and lasted longer.

I've sworn off sugar so that's not a trigger and I've learned my lesson about eating excessively fatty food!

13 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Congratulations on your weight loss. Hopefully the fact that you dump, once you learn how to avoid doing it, will be a good thing (to help keep you on track).

There is NOTHING good about dumping, zip, zilch, zero, nada.... NOTHING. What I experienced has bee physically very painful and emotionally exhausting. I already know what I need to do to keep myself on track and had been doing so very successfully since my original sleeve 8 years ago. Some of the foods that helped me keep the weight off are no longer safe. I developed pre-cancerous changes in my esophagus due to reflux an converting to bypass was needed to prevent that from occurring.

14 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

Hmm, I found myself faint at times and wondered if it could be dumping. Then it happened without eating.

Also, I found out my blood pressure was plummeting.

So far I don't seem to dump, luckily... or maybe not lucky. haha.

oh, count yourself as very lucky that you don't dump. It's been physically painful and emotionally exhausting.