Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here, 3yrs post op, hoping to connect w others who are struggling nutrionally

Hello all! My name is Anne. I hope I'm in the right forum for this. I'm brand new here so please redirect me if necessary. I'm hoping for an accountability buddy, someone roughly a few years post op hopefully like myself, someone who needs some cheering on for keeping healthy eating habits... I had gastric roux en y back in 2019, lost 141lbs and 3 years out I've successfully kept it off - woo hoo! However, I have one BIG problem...for roughly a year now my diet has been AWFUL. I mean really bad. Lots of junk, lots of carbs, not remotely getting enough Protein, you could say I've just gone off the rails.

This coincides with one of the roughest times in my life with massive life challenges one after the other knocking me down, big ones, and just like life pre-surgery, I self medicate with junk food. Which is what landed me on that operating table in the first place. :(

Believe me, I know how wrong this is. I know that the weight thing is a mind thing, that I should have self-soothing behaviors that are NOT food related. I know. But I'm 52 years old now and old (as in decades long) soothing behaviors seem to just be ingrained. I'm tired of making excuses for myself however.

It's time for me to change that. It does not matter what life challenges I'm dealing with. It can only bring me harm to eat as awfully as I do. It's a miracle I haven't gained any weight back eating the way I do, and for that much I'm grateful. But nevertheless, it's downright wrong for me to treat my body so shabbily by eating this way. I just never feel good anymore, it's taking a toll, I have no energy, and it's my own doing. So I'm ready to turn this ship around. :)

Is there anyone here who can relate to this? Anyone sliding into unhealthy eating habits? I'm hoping to connect with someone who could use an accountability buddy so to speak, so we can inspire each other to honor our bodies by treating it right by eating healthy and the way we were taught to eat following surgery. If anyone is interested, I'm assuming there's a private message feature here (again, I'm brand new, trying to navigate how all this works), shoot me a message.

Regardless, best wishes to all who are in this journey together, no matter where you are on your road! :)

The best advice I can give is to return to your pre-surgery food plan. My clinic uses a "liver reduction" plan which is high Protein, low carb, high vegetables/fiber, and occasional 30g Protein Drinks I am post RNY>RNY revision on 12/21/21 and losing very slowly after losing a lot (70 lbs) pre-surgery). It's frustrating. Because of complications post surgery I have no more consumption restriction than I had pre-surgery, so I have to strictly track my food intake, calories, and protein on the Baritastic app. I'm getting about 1000-1200 kcal per day now. The clinic wants me to eat 800 kcal.

I can stick to the diet for meals, but struggle with craving between meals. I'm like a zombie staggering to the refrigerator at 3pm, 8pm, and bedtime. The cravings are irresistible. I want ANYTHING! While I have been choosing "good" food, like fat-free Greek yogurt or fat-free cottage cheese and fruit, I'm exceeding the calorie count they want me to maintain.

I don't eat sugar, flour, white potatoes, rice, and processed foods because I am a sugar/food addict and these are "trigger foods" for me. I've recently found a few snack foods that are satisfying the craving for these things. For "bread" I've discovered low-cal, low-wheat Ak-Mak Sesame Crackers, WASA Crisp'n Light Crispbread, & WASA Light Rye Crispbread at 20 kcal per cracker. For sweets I like Smucker's sugar-free Jam at 25 kcal per Tbsp. A single cracker with a tablespoon of the sugar-free jam often satisfy the urge to stuff my mouth. If not, two surely will. I'm still not meeting the 800 kcal goal, but getting closer.

Good luck getting back on track with eating healthy. Get exercise, too!

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

Edited by Sunnyway

1 hour ago, Sunnyway said:

I've recently found a few snack foods that are satisfying the craving for these things. For "bread" I've discovered low-cal, low-wheat Ak-Mak Sesame Crackers, WASA Crisp'n Light Crispbread, & WASA Light Rye Crispbread at 20 kcal per cracker. For sweets I like Smucker's sugar-free Jam at 25 kcal per Tbsp. A single cracker with a tablespoon of the sugar-free jam often satisfy the urge to stuff my mouth. If not, two surely will.

I was curious about the Wasa crackers. Thanks for this info!

6 hours ago, Sunnyway said:

Smucker's sugar-free Jam at 25 kcal per Tbsp

I was wrong! Smucker's sugar-free jam is just 10 kcal per Tbsp!

20 hours ago, AnneMc said:

Hello all! My name is Anne. I hope I'm in the right forum for this. I'm brand new here so please redirect me if necessary. I'm hoping for an accountability buddy, someone roughly a few years post op hopefully like myself, someone who needs some cheering on for keeping healthy eating habits... I had gastric roux en y back in 2019, lost 141lbs and 3 years out I've successfully kept it off - woo hoo! However, I have one BIG problem...for roughly a year now my diet has been AWFUL. I mean really bad. Lots of junk, lots of carbs, not remotely getting enough Protein, you could say I've just gone off the rails.

This coincides with one of the roughest times in my life with massive life challenges one after the other knocking me down, big ones, and just like life pre-surgery, I self medicate with junk food. Which is what landed me on that operating table in the first place. :(

Believe me, I know how wrong this is. I know that the weight thing is a mind thing, that I should have self-soothing behaviors that are NOT food related. I know. But I'm 52 years old now and old (as in decades long) soothing behaviors seem to just be ingrained. I'm tired of making excuses for myself however.

It's time for me to change that. It does not matter what life challenges I'm dealing with. It can only bring me harm to eat as awfully as I do. It's a miracle I haven't gained any weight back eating the way I do, and for that much I'm grateful. But nevertheless, it's downright wrong for me to treat my body so shabbily by eating this way. I just never feel good anymore, it's taking a toll, I have no energy, and it's my own doing. So I'm ready to turn this ship around. :)

Is there anyone here who can relate to this? Anyone sliding into unhealthy eating habits? I'm hoping to connect with someone who could use an accountability buddy so to speak, so we can inspire each other to honor our bodies by treating it right by eating healthy and the way we were taught to eat following surgery. If anyone is interested, I'm assuming there's a private message feature here (again, I'm brand new, trying to navigate how all this works), shoot me a message.

Regardless, best wishes to all who are in this journey together, no matter where you are on your road! :)

Welcome to the forums!

Do you exercise and use a tracking app to monitor your macros? For me, I find that when I religiously workout five days a week and track my food, it helps me to make better food choices. In my mind I'm like... "Why kill yourself at the gym everyday only to undo it all with sh*tty food choices that sabotage your efforts" so that's what helps me. Also, does your surgeon have a virtual support group? That's another option. I'm only 7 weeks post op revision, so I'm not in the maintenance stage yet.

I hope you find the help that you're looking for. Best wishes!

I’ve had a bit of regain the past few months. 15lbs I just met with my nutritionist who I haven’t seen since I had the surgery to buckle down and start losing again.

I so hear you!...im in the exact same phase as you are. We both are backsliding due to old problems and just plain old life getting in the way. First of all....give yourself a break. I literally weighed myself this evening after feeling like i was back up to my old weight. But of course that is all in my head...I was at my maintenence weight and doing just fine. We forget that we need to trust the surgery as well.

That said...it's always good to do a mind and body reset. I was thinking about treating myself just like i did after about 3 months after my surgery where i was cautious about everything. Try looking new angles...

Personally, i think im having problems with balancing my exercise with my calories. In other words, im eating too much because my mind thinks i need to eat more after working out so much. So...that needs to get worked on as well...

That said...these forums are gold! ...i havent been here a while myself, but i know that the ppl and information here is THE best in the world!

This coincides with one of the roughest times in my life with massive life challenges one after the other knocking me down, big ones, and just like life pre-surgery, I self medicate with junk food. Which is what landed me on that operating table in the first place. [emoji20]
It's time for me to change that. It does not matter what life challenges I'm dealing with. It can only bring me harm to eat as awfully as I do. It's a miracle I haven't gained any weight back eating the way I do, and for that much I'm grateful. But nevertheless, it's downright wrong for me to treat my body so shabbily by eating this way. I just never feel good anymore, it's taking a toll, I have no energy, and it's my own doing. So I'm ready to turn this ship around. [emoji4]
Regardless, best wishes to all who are in this journey together, no matter where you are on your road! [emoji4]

Hi there! I'm New here and very excited to be here!
Congrats on recognizing your pitfalls. I too am in a similar place, RNY December,2019. Loss 100 lbs, to date I've gained back 30. I've stopped beating myself up and taking myself more seriously about why I had the surgery and looking at my pitfalls, which are potato chips! With that being said I am now eating a little better, I still have trouble getting in a lot of food. So I try to start each morning with my Protein Shake and with that I'm usually full for the day and it gives me anywhere from 65 to 75 grams of Protein. I've been trying to incorporate another protein, which is difficult for me because I'm not hungry, I never hungry. So I try to have a little chicken, turkey, or some other protein. I love now to eat a lot of vegetables, salads, and fruits which I now try to substitute these for the chips!
I'm also getting ready to start exercising on a daily basis. With that being said, this is a journey, lifelong journey, lifestyle change that will greatly improve my life. And because I love living and being with family and exploring new things I feel more determined than ever to embark on this journey! So again congrats to you on recognizing where you are and what you have to do and blessings and success to you on this journey to improve your health, your life!

Sent from my LM-T600 using BariatricPal mobile app