Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here and Planning Surgery in October

My doctor and their office has been fantastic. They supplied me with informational packets, what to expect, everything. I made a calendar to make sure I do not miss any upcoming appointments. I am so ready for my New Beginnings.

Would love to get ya'lls feedback on the 2 week prior diet to surgery. Ideas and any helpful hints would be so appreciated.

My surgeon's office was pretty strict in that I could only have Carnation Instant Bteakfast made with fat free milk and 2 Snacks (sugar free Popsicles, sugar free pudding - not the cups though, a very few grapes, etc.).

I was hungry for 3 days but after that I completely lost my appetite and just struggled along to get through the diet for the remaining time.

Pre-op diets vary from one surgeon to the next, but be prepared for it to suck. There's pretty much no way around it, but you just have to get through it as part of your WLS journey that will be worth it in the end. It feels like an eternity when you're going through it, but eventually, it will be a blip in your memory.

My best tip, both for the pre-op diet and the liquid phase, is that you're going to be drinking a lot of Protein Shakes, so buy samples of different brands and flavors so you can have a variety. Also, you'll learn to appreciate sugar-free popsicles.

Hello New Beginnings! I am planning for an October sleeve, myself. My co-worker got his sleeve in December 2021, and has lost 75 pounds. He looks great and says he feels absolutely fantastic and healthy. He definitely stated the pre-op diet was rough, and admitted to sneaking in a few forbidden foods, here and there. I don't recommend THAT, but if you happen to slip up, I think you'll be okay. I have already started trying out new high Protein Shakes, Soups, Protein Water, and even squeezable pack high protein smoothies, so I'll be ready with what I like/tastes good and so I won't get bored.

PS Where in TX are you? I'm in Austin. 🙂

I start my pre-op diet on Sept 19th. Mine is 11 days of full liquid with a minimum of 120g Protein and 64+ oz of Water throughout the day. Followed by 3 days of clear liquid, nothing red or orange. I will be having the bypass with hernia repair.

Edited by FireWife81

A little late to this thread but I had my sleeve on 10/24 so I am just past the 3 week mark. The pre op diet sucked. The first couple of days wasn’t so bad as I drank a lot of Water, broth, Jello and Protein Shakes. However 48 hours before surgery I was told to stop the Protein shakes. I immediately started feeling weak and had headaches from the lack of nutrition. It was the longest 2 days ever.

After the surgery it was weird. I had some pain and nausea the first day or two but that went away thankfully. The weird part is I don’t really get hungry or thirsty. I’m eating soft foods now and can’t have more than a couple bites before I feel the fullness pressure. But I could absolutely not eat and be fine. I want to eat because I miss food, but physically I’m not getting signals that I need to eat. I’m also struggling with fluids because I can’t drink more than a small sip at a time so it takes a long to drink a single glass of water.

Overall I’m doing well. I haven’t lost as much weight as I thought I would in the first few weeks but I’m not worried. I know my body is going through all the trauma of surgery and lack of calories that it’s got to work itself out. My clothes are fitting better though so I know something is happening.