Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How was the 2 week liquid diet

Hello new to the program! It’s so wonderful to read about the different stories while in work op looking to have a surgery date set in October little nervous about all this talk about the liquid diet 😬

Every surgeon has their own version of the pre-op diet. They change drastically too.

Mine had 2 options you could choose from.

One option was 6 "Bariatric Advantage" and only calorie free drinks. The second option was 4 "Unjury" Protein Drinks and a list of foods and their serving sizes and you were allowed 6 of those servings a day. (SF pudding, yogurt, veggies, etc. No meats or anything like that)

I choose option 2 just so I could chew things, it was a life saver. I am a huge veggie fan so I was very happy with my veggies which is pretty much all I ate from the list.

Point: It was easy for me, I had no problem and was only truly hungry the first day and then I was fine.

But, some peoples are VERY strict. I imagine it is harder without the chewing option.

Just put your mind to it, remember why you are doing it and you will be fine.

It really varies from dr to dr and sometimes patient to patient. Mine was fairly easy. It was just low sugar and carb. I was allowed a small amount of lean meat and veggies each day. I was also allowed yogurt, sugar free Jello and popsicles. I remember being allowed unlimited lettuce and pickles so I had a few pickle salads. Of course it got boring and I was ready to get the surgery over just to be closer to eating normal again but at least I can say I was never starving. I had cravings of course but it was head hunger. I was allowed to eat more than enough. Just not what I wanted.

49 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

It really varies from dr to dr and sometimes patient to patient. Mine was fairly easy. It was just low sugar and carb. I was allowed a small amount of lean meat and veggies each day. I was also allowed yogurt, sugar free Jello and popsicles. I remember being allowed unlimited lettuce and pickles so I had a few pickle salads. Of course it got boring and I was ready to get the surgery over just to be closer to eating normal again but at least I can say I was never starving. I had cravings of course but it was head hunger. I was allowed to eat more than enough. Just not what I wanted.

🤣🤣🤣 Pickle salads. I'm not even gonna lie, that sounds delicious! haha

My clinic didn't require us to do a liquid diet pre op. They only asked me to lose a certain amount of weight before surgery and suggested a low carb diet, but didn't require any special form of diet.

I was on vacation in July and pretty much ate and drank whatever I wanted for three weeks, and still lost two kilos (4.4 pounds). After that, I only had one more kilo (2.2. pounds) to lose before surgery and that was pretty easy. I just didn't eat added sugar and tried to stick to meat and veg.

8 hours ago, ShannyG said:

Hello new to the program! It’s so wonderful to read about the different stories while in work op looking to have a surgery date set in October little nervous about all this talk about the liquid diet 😬

Do you have an idea of what your pre-op diet will look like? It might be helpful to look at the (insert month) buddies groups' initial conversations. I know the Aug. group, we had a long discussion on all the various diets we were all on and how it was handling them. It seemed about day 9 we were all over it but so ready for the new journey to begin that it was worth getting through those last days. You'll get through it, it's all a mental game.

I had a 10 day clear liquid diet. Clear fruit juices, like apple and white grape juice, broth, Jello, lemonade. It was miserable. Early on, I just told myself not even think about food for 10 days. Others in my program, who were much heavier, had to be on it for 3 or 4 weeks. I guess I counted my blessings it was only for 10 days.

Longest.
Days.
Ever.

Edited by Tomo

Do you even need to do anything? Programs vary all over the map from weeks of Clear Liquids to nothing at all other than the usual day before surgery thing. I expect that you have been told by now if your surgery is in October (or is that when they set the date for you?), as they tend to leave such bad news until it's too late to back out. Hopefully you have one of the more benign programs that does a better job of getting you ready for your long term life ahead.

I was on liquids a kind of long time from May 27th until 2 weeks after my June 7th surgery date. I never suffered or was outrageously hungry. I lived off crystal lite Water, Jello and Protein Shakes. My surgeon had a very strict plan compared to some I've heard but I think it was good for me. I've learned I don't NEED food like I did pre-opp. I eat food too function. If I like it a lot that's a plus. I don't eat for entertainment anymore or reward or to fix emotional boo boo's, I eat too feed my body to function. Don't get me wrong when I had my first bite of scrambled egg with Salt my eyes rolled back in my head! It was the best thing I ever tasted but the time on liquids was easy for me. Just acknowledge it as a time that has to be. That helps. It's your first line in the sand for the new way your going to be eating for the rest of your life.

Sent from my SM-F926U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm on day 11 of my liquid diet. I've been having my Protein Shakes, Water, sleepy tea with skim milk and no fat yogurt. I make sure to drink 64 Fluid oz. of water daily----- and I JUST WANT SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want grilled chicken! Hahahahaha!

I have surgery Monday, Jan. 23, 2023. So- I won't eat anything solid, but I am exhausted, feel sick to my stomach, and have a massive head ache. Hopefully, after surgery, the headache will be gone, or someone will give me something for it.

I'm excited to have my surgery!!!! I'm not nervous at all. I know this will be over and done and I will be healthy and happy. So, one day at a time I will get through this! You can too! Just.... ignore your sloshing tummy and try not to stay in the kitchen when your family is eating!

Good luck everyone!

19 hours ago, Mia the Pug said:

I'm on day 11 of my liquid diet. I've been having my Protein Shakes, Water, sleepy tea with skim milk and no fat yogurt. I make sure to drink 64 Fluid oz. of Water daily----- and I JUST WANT SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want grilled chicken! Hahahahaha!

I have surgery Monday, Jan. 23, 2023. So- I won't eat anything solid, but I am exhausted, feel sick to my stomach, and have a massive head ache. Hopefully, after surgery, the headache will be gone, or someone will give me something for it.

I'm excited to have my surgery!!!! I'm not nervous at all. I know this will be over and done and I will be healthy and happy. So, one day at a time I will get through this! You can too! Just.... ignore your sloshing tummy and try not to stay in the kitchen when your family is eating!

Good luck everyone

The liquid diet feels like forever but it's necessary to healing. I promise you will eat grilled chicken again. My first "solid" meal was scrambled eggs and they were heavenly. You'll get there.

All programs are different, in mine I had to have 3 or 4 approved shakes and eat from a list of food. So I had shakes during the day and chicken and veggies at night or scrambled eggs in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

The day after tomorrow is my surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait. I'm so happy, one more day of full size stomach liquid diet! It did go by pretty fast, looking back on it. It was gross, but its nearly over! Yay!

12 hours ago, Mia the Pug said:

The day after tomorrow is my surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait. I'm so happy, one more day of full size stomach liquid diet! It did go by pretty fast, looking back on it. It was gross, but its nearly over! Yay!

Not to be a party pooper but don't you have to be full liquid when you first come out of surgery? I had it for 2 weeks post, then pureed, then soft, then solid that I introduced very slowly.

Just checking... I don't want you going to heavy too soon and hurting yourself. Every doctor is different so follow what your doctor says.

No party pooping taken! 😉 Yes, I do have to have a liquid phase after surgery, but my stomach won't be a massive quart size hollow anymore, so I'm thinking I'll be able to deal with liquids after b/c I'll want to take care of my small baby sized stomach! Having my large sad stomach, growling and sloshing has not been easy... but, I did it! Yay!

Thank you for your concern!