Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm three weeks post op, and I never really feel comfortable. I use myfitnesspal and measure my food in order to eat appropriate amounts. I do feel better now that I can eat actual food and not just Soups or Protein Drinks, which I frankly found revolting.

Now, I mostly eat white fish and chicken, hummus, refried Beans, mashed baked beans, eggs etc. But even though I eat small amounts and try to eat slow, I usually feel nauseous after I eat, and also between meals.

So many things disgust me now. I bought sugar free juice drinks, in order to drink something other than Water, but they make me nauseous. Is this normal? Does everyone feel like this? Does it get better? Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get rid of nausea?

I was feeling rough after eating, so I decided to eat 1/2 the amount. If I was still gingery after that I ate more. I eat between 3 and 6 small meals a day - still eating the same amounts … I just eat less more. That made me feel better. Even though I was eating within what my diet said … I don’t think my stomach my stomach could handle as much as I was eating - despite the fact I wasn’t eating that much.

It’s finding that right balance. Some days I do well - others, I don’t feel well. I’m working on it.

I finally figured out the morning nausea - if I take my PPI right away and then I drink about 1/2 a Protein Shake - then work on my water… then my tummy is happy. But I try to lay still while my meds get started working.

My dr also gave me some meds to take if it got to bad.

16 minutes ago, LookingForward22 said:

I was feeling rough after eating, so I decided to eat 1/2 the amount. If I was still gingery after that I ate more. I eat between 3 and 6 small meals a day - still eating the same amounts … I just eat less more. That made me feel better. Even though I was eating within what my diet said … I don’t think my stomach my stomach could handle as much as I was eating - despite the fact I wasn’t eating that much.

It’s finding that right balance. Some days I do well - others, I don’t feel well. I’m working on it.

I finally figured out the morning nausea - if I take my PPI right away and then I drink about 1/2 a Protein Shake - then work on my water… then my tummy is happy. But I try to lay still while my meds get started working.

My dr also gave me some meds to take if it got to bad.

I can't stomach Protein Shakes at all, and no Protein puddings either.

You got meds for nausea? Do they work?

On 08/31/2022 at 19:50, Sunnyer said:

I can't stomach Protein Shakes at all, and no Protein puddings either.

You got meds for nausea? Do they work?

I had a patch from the surgery for three days, that seemed to work really well.

I had an Rx from before the surgery and I was told I could take if needed after. If I take it early enough it helps. If I wait to long nothing seems to help.

Also if I get even slightly dehydrated I feel nauseous.

I was getting sick from my Protein Shakes (too many) so I cut back to no more than 1 fairlife a day and break it up (only a few ounces at a time) then I seem to be ok.

I’ve been doing pretty well with chicken salad and high Protein foods - I just have to eat 5 or 6 smaller meals… if I try to eat 3 I don’t feel well. It’s to much at one time.

RealGood brand frozen dinners are a higher protein and I’ve tolerated those well puréed. Texture is a little weird - but I got used to it. (One more week until no more purées - I’m hoping that makes it even easier)

Maybe check with your team and see if they are willing to prescribe something or if they are ok with you pcp prescribing something.

Remember you’re still healing & recovering. Your tummy has been through a lot & can be rather sensitive & fussy for a while. Certain foods, flavours or tastes can be difficult to tolerate or make you feel unwell like nauseous. It does pass.

I agree with the suggestions to try some anti nausea meds for a while. It takes time but you will feel a lot better & it will get easier to eat a variety of foods.

I had terrible problems with nausea and vomiting for months until they increased my ppi to 2 x 30mgs a day. That solved all my problems

I think I may have just said this in another thread but not certain. Nausea is not at all uncommon but it’s not the norm either. I would definitely contact your team to get a nausea Med. They should be able to just call one in for you if you call them.