Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was my surgery successful?

I know this isn’t a new topic but I’m in a lot of distress about this. I woke up from surgery on July 28, 2022 literally with my stomach growling. I started out weighing 203lbs, had taken the online classes a year prior and gotten a call from the surgeon on a Monday asking me if I’d like to have surgery that Thursday. He had an opening. I was not prepared at all but decided to do it. I wonder if not having done the liquid diet ahead of time contributed to my hunger? Regardless, I eat about 500 calories a day and small meals every 3 hours or so to kill the constant hunger I do take the PPi and even Prilosec as recommended on here. Does the hunger go away? I’m in the 3 week stall as well :/. I’ve only lost 16 pounds. My spirits are low right now. I don’t get that full feeling I just portion out 1/4-1/2 cup or small oz servings to know how much to eat. food never feels trapped in my throat or anything. I hear that people have to force themselves to eat I read that the key to success with the gastric sleeve is loss of hunger and satiety and I have neither. Has my surgery been unsuccessful?

Edited by Missfreespeech

The loss of hunger is HIGHLY variable. The premise is that the portion of your stomach that gets removed is generally responsible for producing ghrelin, which is the "hunger hormone." But this is a bit of a misconception because there are several hormones that contribute to hunger, and the level each persons body produces is highly individual, amongst other factors. So the short answer is, no your surgery was not inherently unsuccessful, but you may be one of those who does not experience a loss of hunger.

As for never feeling full, what stage of the post-op diet are you on? Are you all the way back to "regular" foods? Some folks don't experience fullness until their diet has progressed back to normal. Others are simply are able to tolerate more right from the start. This isn't a bad thing, it just means you will have to monitor your intake more closely. Maybe try adding some fruits & veggies to your meals to help bulk them up and add Fiber, which will help you feel fuller longer? And if you have persistent concerns, for sure reach out to your team!

I *only* lost 16 lbs the first month, and I started out at almost 400 lbs. At your low starting weight (compared to most WLS patients), 16 lbs is on the high end of what I would expect. Most of us (unless we're the size of people on "My 600 lb Life) seem to lose somewhere in the 15-25 lb range the first month. Of course, you'll find people who lose above or below that range, but most of us fall somewhere in the range. And with your low starting weight, I would expect you'd be on the lower end of that.

did you say you're taking "the PPI" AND Prilosec? Prilosec IS a PPI - it's generic name is omeprazole. If your surgeon prescribed a PPI as well, then you don't need to take store-bought Prilosec.

P.S. don't chase the full feeling - for one thing, most people don't feel restriction to around the time they start up on solid foods - or until the nerves that were cut during the surgery regenerate (which also tends to be around the time we move to solid foods). Plus the "full" cue is often different after surgery. I don't feel full the way I did pre-surgery. Now, it's more like a discomfort in my chest. when I feel that, I know it's time to stop, or I"m going to be sorry. Others have reported weirder things like runny noses when they're full. For now, you're better off measuring out what you're supposed to eat and just eating that.

and no - your surgery is not unsuccessful. You're losing weight at a normal clip. And you'll continue to as long as you stick to your program.

I never lost the hunger at all whatsoever. It's miserable, having to limit what you eat when you're still hungry. BUT, eventually you ARE able to train your brain and stomach that you've eaten enough and you're not starving. It's important not to overeat because not only can you hurt your new stomach, you'll slide right back into the habits that got you here in the first place. Also, I learned the hard way that just because you CAN eat more doesn't mean you SHOULD. The head hunger is the absolute worst. That's the hardest to learn to ignore. But I promise you, it really can be done. Just stick with it.

You have all been so very helpful. I don’t know what I would do without this forum. My surgeon is not very supportive. He said that I’m only the second patient he’s had that’s gotten this hunger and he’s been practicing for 25 years. He noted that I had a history of depression and anxiety ( long since resolved) and suggested that I keep my therapist notified for when I experienced these “episodes”. I believe in his arrogance he simply didn’t like me questioning his work, which I did. There was no sympathy, no alternative explanation as has been given here by my peers. The distress I’ve gone through is something that no person going through this should have to go through. All VSG patients should be told that they MAY experience hunger, right away. This notion that’s in all our preparation and classes or books that ghrelin is removed is false for too many people. If I hadn’t found this on the web I’d have been in really bad shape. Thank you all! Please continue to share with me your experiences with hunger and if it resolved. It is helping!

I was pretty hungry during the liquid diet phase and was initially pretty disappointed, like you, that I hadn't "lost" the hunger like many people report. Like, you, I didn't do a pre-op liquid diet, because my surgeon doesn't require or recommend it.

Now I'm on pureed food and doing better. I do still get hungry if I eat too little. Like yesterday, I had one scrambled egg for Breakfast and felt fine, but today I had only half a boiled egg, mashed (leftover from the previous day's lunch) and felt hungry afterwards.

You are losing weight, even if it may not be as fast as you wish, but still at a healthy rate and that's the important part. It's understandable that you will lose weight slower than someone who is closer to 300 pounds or more.

The best way to avoid hunger is to focus on Protein, since it makes you feel full longer. Also, fibrous vegetables may fill you up, too. I guess for both of us we just have to keep measuring and hoping our bodies will get used to smaller portions. I weigh or measure everything I eat and enter all my meals into myfitnesspal, in order to make sure I don't go overboard and get enough protein.

I hear a lot about people being so hungry, no one knows if it is head hunger or real hunger but them. Each person has to figure that out on their own.

I am so grateful and lucky to not be hungry EVER. I am 5 months post op and I have yet to feel hungry. I just eat my 3 meals because I need to.

My Dietician warned me it would definitely come back at some point and to use this time to maintain better eating habits. Eating 3 spaced out meals a day and a snack if needed. Then when hunger comes back, my mind and body are on the same page.

Edited by kcuster83

I never lost my hunger either. Only the first 2 weeks or so because of the recovery. I always got hunger signals after 2 weeks or so. And I am actually grateful for the signals since I usually eat only when I get those signals. It felt natural and appropriate for me to follow my physical hunger cues than otherwise.

One should definitely not rely on not being hungry to lose weight. Yes it helps many who don't get those cues. But many of us will have physical hunger. Long term success is training your head around the new life style. Trust me, being diligent will help you stay on track in the long run.

I wish you all the best.