Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon didn't prescribe a ppi?

Hey! I had a final appointment with my surgeon last week, just really going over the same stuff, that I did all the requirements and that I'm starting the recommended Vitamins. He said he was sending a few prescriptions to my pharmacy, and I was like okay cool, expecting like pain meds and a ppi, because I seen so many people here saying they're on them. What he prescribed was docusate sodium (for constipation), ondansetron odt (for nausea), and hydrocodone (for pain). Should I be worried that he didn't put in for a ppi? I was under the impression that even without a history of reflux, it's needed to protect the healing tummy.

No, I didn’t get any preventative PPI and I never needed one either.

all surgeons are different. If it becomes an issue you can get prescribed it after surgery. I dont know what surgery you are having but one other medication i was prescribed after surgery was a medication called Ursodiol for 1 year after surgery. It dissolves gall stones which many (not all) get after rapid weight loss. other than that i got hydrocodone in liquid form, The PPI medication for 1 month (they refused to renew it but i didnt need it anymore) Anti nausea medication that was a green liquid, Constipation medication (only needed that for a week or so) and that was it.

2 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

all surgeons are different. If it becomes an issue you can get prescribed it after surgery. I dont know what surgery you are having but one other medication i was prescribed after surgery was a medication called Ursodiol for 1 year after surgery. It dissolves gall stones which many (not all) get after rapid weight loss. other than that i got hydrocodone in liquid form, The PPI medication for 1 month (they refused to renew it but i didnt need it anymore) Anti nausea medication that was a green liquid, constipation medication (only needed that for a week or so) and that was it.

Wow. Your doctor hooked you up, lol. I only got pain rx and a list of over the counter meds to take for Constipation. Of course if I had any nausea or heart burn I was to call and they would’ve prescribed those other things right away but I didn’t get anything preventative for gall stones either.

2 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Wow. Your doctor hooked you up, lol. I only got pain rx and a list of over the counter meds to take for constipation. Of course if I had any nausea or heart burn I was to call and they would’ve prescribed those other things right away but I didn’t get anything preventative for gall stones either.

Yea when my mom went to the pharmacy to pick up my medication she was like WTF is all this? LMAO

Edited by liveaboard15

Thank you everyone!

13 hours ago, loli_lotus said:

Hey! I had a final appointment with my surgeon last week, just really going over the same stuff, that I did all the requirements and that I'm starting the recommended Vitamins. He said he was sending a few prescriptions to my pharmacy, and I was like okay cool, expecting like pain meds and a ppi, because I seen so many people here saying they're on them. What he prescribed was docusate sodium (for constipation), ondansetron odt (for nausea), and hydrocodone (for pain). Should I be worried that he didn't put in for a ppi? I was under the impression that even without a history of reflux, it's needed to protect the healing tummy.

I got a PPI, Blood Thinner & Pain Meds. I didn't bother filling the pain meds though.

Every surgeons regiments are different. A lot of people are prescribed blood thinners, I was not.

I was given Pepcid (which I guess is a PPI) but only had to take it for 30 days. I honestly don't know if that is the surgeons normal or because of my extensive history with GERD.

Otherwise, I was only given Ursodiol for helping to prevent Gallstones which I am on for 6 months.

10 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

A lot of people are prescribed blood thinners, I was not.

Wow. Surgical regimes are so different.

I had to inject blood thinners for a month even if I was running miles by then (I wasn't!) because of the serious risk of clots after bariatric surgery.

I was prescribed a PPI for 4 weeks. I took it although I knew I was done with reflux within a few weeks of my sleeve, because my weight loss reduced my reflux symptoms so soon.

I just have to say that I'm jealous of anyone who got any kind of pain medication. My surgeon told me OTC Tylenol would suffice for my pain....it did not. I was in a lot of pain for my first week and couldn't get any relief.

25 minutes ago, St77 said:

I just have to say that I'm jealous of anyone who got any kind of pain medication. My surgeon told me OTC Tylenol would suffice for my pain....it did not. I was in a lot of pain for my first week and couldn't get any relief.

That is absolutely wild!!!!

12 hours ago, St77 said:

That really irritates me to hear. Your surgeon should know that everyone is different.

Maybe he expected you to call in with pain of OTC Tylenol did not work? I have found that a lot of doctors are opioid-shy nowadays, right or wrong. But I have found they have been willing to prescribe them if you push (I recently had kidney stones, and I *pushed*!)

Oh no, she was very clear that she wouldn't prescribe anything for the pain as she felt the "discomfort" would be manageable with Tylenol.

I understand the wanting to avoid overprescribe opioids, but that was just torture.