Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in the pre-op stage (October 10) and am wondering what kitchen equipment or tools people find most helpful in the general diet stage. Do you keep it simple (good ol pots and pans) or do you use an air fryer or instant pot, ect…?

The only thing I bought was a immersion blender with a food processor attachment. I wanted the immersion blender for be able to blend thicker or chunky Soups for the pureed phase. I bought one with the food processor because I ran into a few times when I needed one before surgery and it was a good deal.

Turns out, I didn't use the immersion blender at all and blended my food in the processor. I used the processor 2 times and haven't used any of it since.

Long story short, probably didn't need it. Probably didn't/don't need anything extra than normal kitchen accessories.

Small Medicine cups (bulk from Amazon) to measure out 2 ounces of liquid post surgery. Also a cheap digital food scale to weigh food once I got to solids.

I also bought bariatric food containers (like tupperware measured for Protein, veggies, etc,), but NEVER ended up using them.

I have a mini fridge I used, and still do, to keep my Protein Shakes upstairs so I don’t have to run down. Nice, but not necessary,

Pre-surgery I had a snow cone/shaved ice machine and 0 calorie sugar free Syrup. I thought I was going to die from so much drinking and not chewing. The 0 calorie snow cones were a g-dsend and saved my sanity. I called the dietitian freaking out about a day in when I was starving pre-op (only clear liquids). She told me to chew on ice cubes and after I told her off I asked about snow cones and was back in love with her when she said yes.

I second the immersion blender. I love mine and how easy it is to blend things. smoothies, homemade Protein Shakes, Soups especially for the soft and puree stage.

My current favorites:
1. Air fryer. Crispy yumminess without a lot of oil. I love air frying all kinds of veggies.
2. Denzin mini electric hot pot 1.5L sauté pan because it is tiny and easy to clean, make eggs, steak, Soup, everything in it.
3. Hotlogic mini portable oven. Keeps food warm up to 12 hr. It also cooks many things, like salmon perfectly.

I just used my exisiting pots & pans. I did eventually buy an air fryer but in maintenance. I already had a stick blender & an ordinary blender. I did buy a small thermos to keep Soup warm on my desk at work & at home. Some swear by those thermal cups too. Makes sure you have a good set of kitchen scales with small weight increments, measuring cups, spoons & jugs.

Other useful, but not necessary things: I found using splades/cocktail sporks helpful - small bites & the combination of fork, spoon & knife was useful. Some buy a set of children's cutlery but a teaspoon works equally well. Small containers to refrigerate or freeze single serves or leftovers though I tend to use zip lock bags if freezing. Small bowls & plates are handy too: psychological effect of a full small plate vs an near empty large plate. Children sized or tapas size are best as are the cup sized soufflé dishes. I still use side plates & small bowls.

I bought a thermos cup. I was so fed up of my coffee going cold before I had more than a few sips of it. Now its summer I just drink cold coffee.

I needed a step to get in my bed the early days after surgery. We had a bed wedge already and I still use it.

If I could have afforded it, I would have bought a recliner chair for the first few weeks after surgery. I would have slept in it. I had terrible nausea and GERD

Another thing to consider - I had my surgery in very cold weather, end of November. I very quickly found as I lost weight that I was freezing cold all the time. 100lbs + later, I am ready for this winter. I have lots of fluffy blankets for the sofa and fluffy slippers. My husband spent the winter in his underwear, he couldn't stand the house so warm.

I got a stronger Stick Frother. Its great for quickly blending in the Protein powders, especially the Isopure into Soup and stuff. It was $5.... That is all I have needed,

On 08/23/2022 at 13:03, kcuster83 said:

The only thing I bought was a immersion blender with a food processor attachment. I wanted the immersion blender for be able to blend thicker or chunky Soups for the pureed phase. I bought one with the food processor because I ran into a few times when I needed one before surgery and it was a good deal.

Turns out, I didn't use the immersion blender at all and blended my food in the processor. I used the processor 2 times and haven't used any of it since.

Long story short, probably didn't need it. Probably didn't/don't need anything extra than normal kitchen accessories.

Do you have to have a fancy food scale?

On 08/23/2022 at 13:03, kcuster83 said:

I am getting a 64 oz insulated water bottle

8 hours ago, Giginc said:

Do you have to have a fancy food scale?

Any scale that goes to small increments (0.1ounce) works well. You can get them for less than $20 on Amazon.

My most used item was a small handheld strainer. I strained Soups for weeks for every dinner. I think it cost me like $2.

5 hours ago, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

My most used item was a small handheld strainer. I strained Soups for weeks for every dinner. I think it cost me like $2.

Me too. I used a fine mesh tea strainer.

On 8/23/2022 at 6:09 PM, HeatherE said:

Small Medicine cups (bulk from Amazon) to measure out 2 ounces of liquid post surgery. Also a cheap digital food scale to weigh food once I got to solids.

I also bought bariatric food containers (like tupperware measured for Protein, veggies, etc,), but NEVER ended up using them.

I have a mini fridge I used, and still do, to keep my Protein Shakes upstairs so I don’t have to run down. Nice, but not necessary,

Pre-surgery I had a snow cone/shaved ice machine and 0 calorie sugar free Syrup. I thought I was going to die from so much drinking and not chewing. The 0 calorie snow cones were a g-dsend and saved my sanity. I called the dietitian freaking out about a day in when I was starving pre-op (only clear liquids). She told me to chew on ice cubes and after I told her off I asked about snow cones and was back in love with her when she said yes.

You inspired me. I just bought a snow cone machine. LOL!

11 hours ago, Jeanniebug said:

You inspired me. I just bought a snow cone machine. LOL!

You’ll be so glad you have it!!! With the sugar free Syrup it almost makes you feel guilty indulging, even though it’s NO calories. My go to dessert!!!