Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Gastric Sleeve - Did they take anything out?

Hello everyone! First-time poster here. I had Gastric Sleeve surgery on Monday 8/15. I went in hungry and woke up hungry. The day of and days following I haven't experienced any nausea or vomiting. I have been drinking Water non stop, eating Liquicel Protein packs, and sugar free popsicles like crazy. I'm worried because I've not had anything come back up. My stomach should hold around 4ounces so if I'm consuming more than 4oz, where is the rest going? Does liquid just move extremely quickly through your stomach? I'm starting to think the doctor just made some incisions but didn't take anything out, Hah! I know, unlikely. I just don't feel as restricted as I was hoping for and I am having more hunger pains than I thought I would. Is anyone experiencing the same thing? Please share your experiences with me!

Yes, liquids basically go right through - the pyloric valve at the base of the stomach that closes to keep food in for processing remains open as there is nothing for your stomach to do when you drink. Some people will have a lot of inflammation in their stomach after surgery, so drinking is like pouring through a pinched soda straw, but many will not have that problem. So, measuring a portion size for liquids relative to our new nominal stomach size (maybe 2 oz or so for a typical VSG) is meaningless. Once you get to more solid foods it will make a big difference.

My wife, when she went through this, could barely fit her nominal stomach size of Protein Drink through in one sitting, while I was virtually unrestricted. Both were within the expected result when I questioned our surgeon about it.

I haven’t experienced real hunger since starting the pre-op liquid diet (mine was 8 days), though head hunger has popped up a few times.

I was sleeved on 8/16 and haven’t noticed any restriction either. I’m still on liquids until Wednesday, but it’s been unsettling being able to have a cup of Tomato Soup and not experience any “fullness” or even drinking Water without any issues.

While I am grateful I can make my goals with no issues, but have stressed over the lack of restriction.

I was told as I progress to purées it should be more noticeable, so for the time being I’m just working to hit my calorie, Protein and water goals and trying to keep my servings to 1 cup or less to get used to seeing those serving sizes.

I honestly really questioned it the first week. It wasn't for a couple of days of pureed foods till I started to notice the restriction. Now I almost get frustrated because I feel like I have so little and get full so quickly.

When your stomach heals and you get onto real foods, you will begin to get full signals. In the beginning my nose would run or I would get sneezes. It takes a while to get used to these signals. Now if I get really cold and get goose bumps on my shins, then I know I have missed my cues and overdone it.

Yes I know it sounds bizarre but its true, goose bumps on my shins.

I never lost my hunger, and I don't feel any restriction unless I eat certain foods. I had to train my stomach and my brain to know I ate enough and I wasn't starving with my smaller portions. I never had problems getting my fluids in at all. Now, at 3 1/2 months out, my body "knows" I eat up to a certain amount and that's it. No more, no less. And now it's fine. If I tried to eat more, my body now thinks it's over-full and then I'm uncomfortable. The head hunger can be the worst, especially on top of real hunger. And I was MISERABLE the first 2 months or so. Now it's fine. Just stick with it, be persistent, and you'll get there.

This is all great info! Thank you all!

My clear liquid diet is 8 days. It's getting quite hard. ....I cheated yesterday. I chewed up a sausage to savor the flavor and then spit it out.

I typically hate hot liquids so the broths aren't going over well and the smell of the LiquiCel packs are making me sick to my stomach. I don't know how you all did this! I cannot wait until I can have cottage cheese haha.

On 08/19/2022 at 18:32, Boarderamanda said:

This is all great info! Thank you all!

My clear liquid diet is 8 days. It's getting quite hard. ....I cheated yesterday. I chewed up a sausage to savor the flavor and then spit it out.

I typically hate hot liquids so the broths aren't going over well and the smell of the LiquiCel packs are making me sick to my stomach. I don't know how you all did this! I cannot wait until I can have cottage cheese haha.

You can do it! Mine was 8 days and despite that my “friend” came full force out of nowhere (impeding my weight loss) my liver was “fantastic” according to my surgeon … so in the end it was all worth it.

I’m four days away from purée and every time I think about straying from the plan, and believe me today was the hardest…. I think about my surgeon telling me how much of a difference it made for my liver staying on task and that keeping my dedication to the post op plan would pay off in the end keeps me motivated.

Keep up the great job - you got this!!

Going to puree was awesome. I added seasonings into my diet. I pureed meatloaf with a little Water and ketchup, Jimmy Dean egg bacon fritatata, curry chicken salad, and later General taos chicken... I tried one spice and food, one of 5 meals a day. Proud that I just got to regular food and no dumping. Trialed some higher fat but everything has been sugarfree. Measuring most everything but getting easier to eyeball.