Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Life after 168 pounds down.....

I'm at a sort of midway point after the 168 pounds weight loss and still have more to go.

I'm at a point were i'm making my way back into society starting a new job, I feel human again. I can do so much more than i ever use to be able to do. Just to feel the wind on my face and the grass under my feet. Being able to stand on my feet for hours at a time without the need to sit down or feel the burning sensation under my feet. I feel in a sense "normal". Planning vacations and know i'm going to be able to travel and fit in a plane seat that now i dont have limitations it's a good and also a strange feeling. That might sound strange but for me it means everything and i know it's only going to get better and better.

For those who started out as large as i did, how do you feel now or really anyone whos gone through a huge weight loss but still has more to go.

How do you feel in public situations now? Still being over weight there are still people who look and look away. I can handle that now because i honestly don't care i think to myself how far i've come and nobody can take that feeling away from me.

Your loss is really impressive and you should be incredibly proud of yourself. I started at 385, though my highest weight ever was at least 400 lbs (my scale didn't go higher) and am now at the same weight as you (not losing nearly as fast as you have - and really slowly now).

On the one hand, I feel so amazing. Physically, I feel so much lighter than 271. I feel spry. Things are so much easier and I don't automatically feel limited. I am enjoying physical activity and exercise. I have SO MUCH ENERGY and have been so productive in my personal life. Medically lots of things are better. But, even with that, I know I am still fat and that's how everyone around me sees me - as the fat lady. It's tough because on the one hand, I am so proud of what I have done and how hard I am working, but on the other, I still have SO MUCH FURTHER to go and I know society as a whole still sees me the same way as it did before. It's like being in mile 13 of a marathon... so proud of managing 13 miles but dreading and a bit depressed about having 13 more to go (and worried I won't make it).

I'm not sure that I feel significantly differently in public situations, since I am still obese. But, I feel more "normally obese" if that makes sense. I don't always feel like I am automatically the biggest person in the room. I am not paranoid about sitting on chairs (will they hold me? can I get on the stool?) like I used to be. I'm less worried about what my butt is running into (I have a booty, it is/was a real concern). But, I am still obese and I know judgement abounds.

Not sure I am helping in any way, but it is a weird place to be in.

OMg that is one thing i am looking forward to is the plane seats. So before surgery i would always fly first class because coach seats are so small and i could not fit in them. and first class is so expensive so its going to be nice to be able to pay a few hundred dollars for a plane ticket vs thousands. A month or so after surgery i applied for a 2nd job a job where i would be standing for 8-10 hours a day. before surgery i could not stand for more than a few minutes or walk more than a few minutes without being exhausted and in pain. Now i stand 10 hours a day without issue at all.

I did not have quite as much to lose but I did reach a point where I felt that people were not looking at me and judging me any more. Then, after another 30 or so pounds I found that people, especially women were looking at me because I actually looked good. I also get looks because I really stepped up my wardrobe now that I am comfortable enough to wear clothes that are not baggy and hide my body size. There is a point where you will stop being self conscious..hang in there it is coming.

4 hours ago, Queen ApisM said:

Your loss is really impressive and you should be incredibly proud of yourself. I started at 385, though my highest weight ever was at least 400 lbs (my scale didn't go higher) and am now at the same weight as you (not losing nearly as fast as you have - and really slowly now).

On the one hand, I feel so amazing. Physically, I feel so much lighter than 271. I feel spry. Things are so much easier and I don't automatically feel limited. I am enjoying physical activity and exercise. I have SO MUCH ENERGY and have been so productive in my personal life. Medically lots of things are better. But, even with that, I know I am still fat and that's how everyone around me sees me - as the fat lady. It's tough because on the one hand, I am so proud of what I have done and how hard I am working, but on the other, I still have SO MUCH FURTHER to go and I know society as a whole still sees me the same way as it did before. It's like being in mile 13 of a marathon... so proud of managing 13 miles but dreading and a bit depressed about having 13 more to go (and worried I won't make it).

I'm not sure that I feel significantly differently in public situations, since I am still obese. But, I feel more "normally obese" if that makes sense. I don't always feel like I am automatically the biggest person in the room. I am not paranoid about sitting on chairs (will they hold me? can I get on the stool?) like I used to be. I'm less worried about what my butt is running into (I have a booty, it is/was a real concern). But, I am still obese and I know judgement abounds.

Not sure I am helping in any way, but it is a weird place to be in.

You've done amazingly well.... You most definitly will get to where you want to be. My weight loss has also slowed down there's odd weeks where i will loose 2 KG and then maybe nothig the week after then i will loose another KG. Just keep up the good work and the results will follow. :))

4 hours ago, Queen ApisM said:

2 hours ago, Tony B - NJ said:

I did not have quite as much to lose but I did reach a point where I felt that people were not looking at me and judging me any more. Then, after another 30 or so pounds I found that people, especially women were looking at me because I actually looked good. I also get looks because I really stepped up my wardrobe now that I am comfortable enough to wear clothes that are not baggy and hide my body size. There is a point where you will stop being self conscious..hang in there it is coming.

Thanks for the confidence booster! I'm not so self conscious anymore but i carry a lot of my weight lower body more so my legs and that's always been something that made me self conscious. It's becoming less and less now i'm at a point where i want to get married we put it off because of surgery my parter told me just to say the word and we will do it. I'm really starting to look forward to the future.

@Rachael101 you are doing a great job! When I see stats like yours it give me hope that i am headed in the right direction! My surgery is next week, I know that everyone's path is diffrent but seeing people succeed is very motivating and gives those of us following a similar path a glimps of what could be.

My highest was 382 about a year ago - but I have been over weight all of my adult life (I am 48). Occasionally I feel others judgement (oddly enough more when I meet a new doctor - more so than new people). But mostly I am self conciouse when I bump into things, squeeze into places or choose not to participate because I am worried I wont fit. So really, I am a bigger problem than others... except those darn doctors who want to blame everything that happens on my weight (well, loose some weight, if that doesn't resolve then we will see what we can do.... <sigh> as if I haven't thought of that). Thankfully I have a great regualr team who have been working with me on health issues who can see past the weight and as a result, I've managed to loose 62 pounds in the last year (10 of that on the pre-op diet, 5 more days to go).

I am looking forward to not worrying about bumping into things as I walk past or fitting into places (or exceeding weight limits)... I have already seen a little progress in some of those areas with the weight I have lost so far. I am also looking forward to not being as tired, being more social and getting some relief with some of my other medical issues.

Keep up the great work!

17 hours ago, LookingForward22 said:

@Rachael101 you are doing a great job! When I see stats like yours it give me hope that i am headed in the right direction! My surgery is next week, I know that everyone's path is diffrent but seeing people succeed is very motivating and gives those of us following a similar path a glimps of what could be.

My highest was 382 about a year ago - but I have been over weight all of my adult life (I am 48). Occasionally I feel others judgement (oddly enough more when I meet a new doctor - more so than new people). But mostly I am self conciouse when I bump into things, squeeze into places or choose not to participate because I am worried I wont fit. So really, I am a bigger problem than others... except those darn doctors who want to blame everything that happens on my weight (well, loose some weight, if that doesn't resolve then we will see what we can do.... <sigh> as if I haven't thought of that). Thankfully I have a great regualr team who have been working with me on health issues who can see past the weight and as a result, I've managed to loose 62 pounds in the last year (10 of that on the pre-op diet, 5 more days to go).

I am looking forward to not worrying about bumping into things as I walk past or fitting into places (or exceeding weight limits)... I have already seen a little progress in some of those areas with the weight I have lost so far. I am also looking forward to not being as tired, being more social and getting some relief with some of my other medical issues.

Keep up the great work!

To loose all that weight by yourself is amazing! I have every confidence that your going to do very well after surgery. Best of luck :)

On 08/11/2022 at 10:12, Rachael101 said:

To loose all that weight by yourself is amazing! I have every confidence that your going to do very well after surgery. Best of luck :)

Thank you… I’ve struggled during that loss (putting weight back on, resetting - going back to what I know works to get it off again). I’m hopeful that will help me do the same after surgery if I slip up.

On 8/10/2022 at 3:21 PM, Rachael101 said:

Thanks for the confidence booster! I'm not so self conscious anymore but i carry a lot of my weight lower body more so my legs and that's always been something that made me self conscious. It's becoming less and less now i'm at a point where i want to get married we put it off because of surgery my parter told me just to say the word and we will do it. I'm really starting to look forward to the future.

If I were you I would start planning that wedding asap. Sounds like you have an amazing partner. Most of us put life on hold far too long because of our weight. You have come so far already and truly deserve to start living your best life again right NOW!! Congratulations on your loss so far and on your engagement.