Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone I was wondering when did everyone start eating chips post op? I’m really interested in trying the Quest chips but nervous. Also when did you guys start cooking with butter and oil?

I don't know exactly when but I know for a fact it was after 6 weeks.

At 6 weeks is when I was easing back into a normal diet.

I made nachos with them, ground taco meat, cheese and hot sauce. I ate 3 and was full. haha

PS: I don't like them. The after taste is weird. Popcorners flex Protein chips are way better. (IMO)

I never really cooked with butter and oil. I might buy butter once a year and have had the same bottle of olive oil forever. Like a few years.

I think I used butter/oil for the first time after 6 weeks too, just because that was when I started cooking "normal" foods again.

I can’t remember when but probably when I started soft foods for butter and oils. I use different ones daily for different things- baking, sautéing, dressings, marinades, etc.

As for the chips, I was probably several months out. The Quest chips aren’t for me though but everyone is different.

I didn't really do chips or anything snacky till 6+ months out. One, I didn't have room for them - after my Protein and veggies, I just didn't have stomach space for anything else, and two, I was terrified that I would slip back into old habits. I have a really hard time with moderation and I knew that knowing I could eat that stuff would lead me to eating it, so I held off a good long time. That being said, nowadays (10+ months) I do occasionally have a few of the Flex protein chips and they are pretty good. I've never had the Quest chips, so I can't really compare, but even a few regular chips won't break the bank if you can do them in moderation.

As for butter/oil, I never stopped using them. If I was sautéing veggies, I would use oil, or if I made Soup, I used butter, etc. I've always used them judiciously so the tiny bit included in my portion really wasn't a big deal.

I started cooking with this type of butter and olive oil probably 4 weeks after surgery. as for chips. I had some Protein style chips/puffs a month or so after surgery. I am currently almost 4 months post surgery and i have had zero issues with any foods i have eaten.

b7b927d3da3394cfa8dd951197d3b486_large.png

Still don’t do chips after 3 years but that’s a personal choice. I do have the occasional baked fava Beans or chick peas as a snack which I discovered last year (once a month maybe). I don’t rally fry anything but sometimes use a little oil depending on what I’m cooking. (I love crumbed lamb cutlets & you need a little oil to get a crunchy crumb. Doesn’t work at all in an air fryer. But actually bake them now cause the fat in the lamb is enough to crisp the crumb.) I usually just use a spray olive oil &/or a non stick pan. As for butter I put a little on my green vegetables (microwave them in butter & water) & that’s it. I only just finished a 500g tub of butter I started using at the end of November last year. But again these are choices I’ve made.

Edited by Arabesque

It was the first day of week 4 for me. I ordered some of the Quest chips a few days ago and they came yesterday. The Cheddar and Sour Cream flavored Protein chips were pretty good. You can say they are expensive for a 1.1 oz bag, of chips, but good for the reason I got them for. And I wasn't planning to eat them every day.

4 minutes ago, KevinS62 said:

It was the first day of week 4 for me. I ordered some of the Quest chips a few days ago and they came yesterday. The Cheddar and Sour Cream flavored Protein chips were pretty good. You can say they are expensive for a 1.1 oz bag, of chips, but good for the reason I got them for. And I wasn't planning to eat them every day.

Glad you like them after that commitment. hehe