Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I'm just starting on this journey and have mete with my surgeon who mentioned SIPS surgery (Stomach Intestinal Pylorus Sparing). From what I understand it's somewhat of a combination of gastric bypass and duodenal switch surgery. I am not finding much research on it at all, which makes me wonder if it's a good choice. My surgeon advised he will do either surgery ( I'm pretty well set in mind with GP, but am open to options). He described the effects of increased weight loss, lowered rate of ulcers, strictures, & bowel obstructions, increased absorption of nutrients, lowered risk of diarrhea, increased hormonal changes.

Has anyone ever had this done or seen much information about it? I still have more than enough time to decide, so I'm in no rush to make a decision. I'd love to hear your experiences with this!

You may find some relevant postsin this forum https://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/1018-duodenal-switch-surgery-forum/, and some people who have posted there may respond to a private message.

I googled and I can see that SIPS is also know as duodenal switch.

https://www.nycbariatrics.com/weight-loss-surgery-options/sips-procedure

"Also known as the Single-Anastomosis Duodenal Switch, this duodenal switch surgery (SIPS) delivers both stomach restriction and decreased absorption. "

I had never heard of this but if it is the same as DS surgery it’s been around a while and seems to be a good surgery. It’s a little more drastic than the bypass or sleeve but it is said to produce more weight loss. If your doctor thinks it’s warranted I would consider it. The main thing I have heard that is really different is that you may need to take some extra Vitamins post surgery. We all have to take them in the beginning and most people have to take some for life but DS usually have to take a few more. As long as you are someone who will comply with taking vitamins probably 3 or 4 times a day for life it should be an option. I would check out Hop Scotch’s suggestion though and see what others who have had the surgery have to offer.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I think SIPS is a modified version of the DS (duodenal switch). I've heard of it but don't know anyone who's had it. IIRC, the traditional DS has a double anastomosis rather than a single (the SIPS has a single)

Edited by catwoman7

"Also known as the Single-Anastomosis Duodenal Switch,”
Yes! That’s the other description I’ve seen. Shopgirl- that is essentially exactly what my doctor said as well.
Thank you for your response was!

I had it 2 years ago and I could not be happier I chose it. It was a gamble, but so worth it. My husband just had it done in May and he's doing fantastic.
I lose 205 pounds with it, and I am healthy and all my blood work is great. If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app