Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PMS causing issues?

Hi ladies! So here’s my situation, I had RNY surgery July 6th and everything has gone as expected and what was explained to me. Smooth sailing until yesterday and today.
I’ve been expecting aunt flow and she’s coming slowly but surely.
I woke up yesterday feeling great. I had a Protein Shake and went for a short walk. Shortly after returning I started to feel so sick. Like what dumping syndrome feels like. All the symptoms to a “T”. I couldn’t understand why and thought that maybe I drank my shake too fast? There was literally no explanation. I laid down and laid low for the rest of the day. My stomach was angry so I just had popsicles, broth, Water and 2 bites of plain Greek yogurt at the end of the day because “live and active cultures”. Most of it felt ok going down but not for HOURS after the possible dumping episode.
Skip to today,
I woke up feeling ok. My stomach mostly just felt a little tender but I decided to try and power through a Protein water at least. It took me 3hrs to finish it and now I feel just awful again. Not as bad as yesterday’s episode but generally not well.
My first thoughts were maybe it’s the whey or lactose. Yesterday’s shake was a fairlife which has no lactose but I believe does contain whey. Today’s protein water (Protein2o) contained whey isolate. But then I started thinking maybe it’s my PMS symptoms just wreaking havoc on my insides and because I’m still healing maybe it feels more severe?
I purchased some vegan protein to try tomorrow.

But does anyone have any input? Should I call my doctor?
Let me know if I’m missing any information that might help this all make more sense.

Ugh just feel terrible and need relief.

Always call your doctor. People here know a lot of things, but the doctors do these operations on thousands of people. They and their staff are (usually) the best resource if your body is doing something and you aren't sure why. Good luck! Feel better!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using BariatricPal mobile app

If anything seems strange, unusual or not as you would expect or were advised, give your medical team a call. Always better to be safe.

Developing a lactose sensitivity isn’t uncommon & for most it’s just temporary. So it’s a good idea to try some lactose free products to rule it out. Some whey products still contain lactose so you do need to ensure the whey products are lactose free as well. My lactose sensitivity used to cause stomach cramping then a diarrhoea attack which would occur usually an hour or two later. I didn’t have heart palpitations, cold sweats or exhaustion like dumping does so I would doubt it was that. Plus you didn’t eat anything that was high sugar or high fat.

While the hormonal flush you get as oestrogen is released into your blood stream from the fat you’re losing (oestrogen is stored in fat), can cause crazy pms symptoms & periods I don’t think that was the cause but then you never know. We all react differently.

I spoke with my doctor that day and he said it just happens and he wanted me to switch to vegan Protein. Problem solved!! I became intolerant to whey/milk based Proteins. I love my fairlife but we must part ways for some time. I found some AMAZING vegan protein though. So I’m not terribly bummed. Thanks for the input!

My PMS has gotten much worse since my surgery. I bloat a LOT no matter how little salt I eat, and I turn into a raging psychopath for about 24 hours a couple days before I start. It's miserable, and I'm very reluctant to go back on birth control because I don't want it to make me gain the weight back (and I don't need it for contraception.)

Ugh.