Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG to RNY: please give me your stats

Hi everyone,

I have a revision scheduled for 8/8 which is almost exactly 4 years after my VSG. I have had acid reflux the whole time and it’s been way worse the past year. As far as weight loss is concerned I only ended up losing about 40 pounds at my lowest and I’ve gained back about 15 of them.
I am hoping for no more reflux and some additional weight loss. I know it’s slower the second time around but I’d love to hear your stats. Things like your gender, weight loss amount with revision, duration it took you to lose, reflux situation….

Me: Female, 43, 5’4” start of VSG: 255, lowest: 214 start of RNY: 228 (hoping to be at 220 by surgery date)

Hello,

I didn't have a revision but I choose Bypass due to already having severe GERD. My surgeon explained that it was very likely my GERD would remain the same if not worsen and that bypass would likely reduce or completely cure it.

Almost 4 months out it seems to have CURED IT! I have had no signs of anything acid reflux/GERD related.

I was on 2 prescriptions plus eating tums daily. I am off of ALL GERD medications and have not eaten a single tums since surgery. I am so pleased about that because it was miserable!

As far as weight loss, I have lost 73 lbs since surgery in a little over 2.5 months. I am 6ft tall. Stats are on the side panel too if people set them up.

Good luck- I hope your acid issues are resolved!

5 minutes ago, Heather0811 said:

No reflux sounds like a dream!
Congratulations on your amazing progress, that’s awesome!
Have you had issues with food like dumping or food that make you sick?

No reflux is WONDERFUL! Mine was so bad, sometimes my voice would be hoarse for days after a bad episode.

My food issues have been VERY minimal, honestly I had a very smooth recovery and adjustment. I was sick once when I went on to soft foods, some pit beef meat hit me wrong and I was sick for the day.

Otherwise the only other thing I found is cold chicken, I cannot tolerate at all. I can eat any type of chicken, cooked any way you can imagine but if I eat it cold it makes me sick. I guess it is too dry or something, I don't know I just don't do it anymore. haha

Never dumped, WOOHOOO!

I have had fried chicken a few times. Like 1 chicken tender in a pinch or something just to get some Protein in.

I also eat real sugar because artificial is not for me. I don't eat much anyway though. Always been an unsweetend beverage person. Diet soda (I know it has artificial sweetener, but I meant more to cook with or sugar free treats), not a juice person, unsweet teas..etc. I have had some treats, a few bites of ice cream. A few starburst here and there. Never had a problem but haven't pounded a pint of icecream like I used to. haha

For the most part my diet is lean meats and veggies, a little fruits and carbs.

I’m so glad you have had an awesome journey.
After my sleeve, there were things that I couldn’t do either. One of them being Water. Plain water just doesn’t sit well with me. I drink zero calories propel.
I can’t do soda because the carbonation gets “stuck” in my chest…frankly, I’m glad. It has kept me away from coke for 4 years! Lol

Good luck to you!

I was sleeved in Dec. 2016 and did very very well at first - dropped about 120 lbs total in about 6 months or so. Then had some personal and professional problems and stopped taking care of myself, and slowly started gaining weight. I ended up gaining almost all of it back and I had the revision to bypass in Nov. 2021. Doctor told me I could be re-sleeved if I wanted, but I had GERD both before and after sleeve so he strongly recommended bypass which I agreed with. It's going very well again, albeit a little slower than with the sleeve. I'm down nearly 100 lbs and very pleased with the results.

On 07/14/2022 at 23:49, Heather0811 said:

Hi everyone,

I have a revision scheduled for 8/8 which is almost exactly 4 years after my VSG. I have had acid reflux the whole time and it’s been way worse the past year. As far as weight loss is concerned I only ended up losing about 40 pounds at my lowest and I’ve gained back about 15 of them.

I am hoping for no more reflux and some additional weight loss. I know it’s slower the second time around but I’d love to hear your stats. Things like your gender, weight loss amount with revision, duration it took you to lose, reflux situation….

Me: Female, 43, 5’4” start of VSG: 255, lowest: 214 start of RNY: 228 (hoping to be at 220 by surgery date)

Hello! I’m scheduled for a revision on 8/8 as well! I had a VSG 18 months ago and have had terrible acid reflux and developed a hiatal hernia. I only lost about 40 lbs after my sleeve, too. I’m hoping the revision will not only take care of the acid reflux but that I’ll lose 50 more lbs! I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I hear that weight loss is much slower after a revision so I’m hoping I don’t get really frustrated. Maybe we can be surgery buddies and keep in touch! Keep us all posted on how things are going. I start my liquid diet on Monday. Good luck with everything!😊

Hey!!! I got my sleeve done in 2018, and had severe GERD and weight regain. I lost 60 pounds with the sleeve and maintained for about a year and a half. I regained all that weight back and went back to the weight I was day of the surgery. During my pre-op endoscopy and barium test they found I did have acid reflux and found a twist in my stomach!! Which causes mild obstruction which explains the casual vomiting and GERD. I am so happy I went with a different Bariatric program. I am scheduled for my revision August 29th!

Good luck with your surgery in the AM. I got revised 4/15. Highest weight 311, Surgery weight 288, Current weight 243. I did good with my sleeve till the I fractured my spine. I developed a hernia and my GERD was rediculous. Then I got a pregnant a year later and only continued the weight gain with post partum depression. Doing great mentally and physically now, steady weight loss but I am right on par considering the meds I have to take slow it down.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello, I had the sleeve in 2019 - I weighed 255 day of surgery and got down to 195....after several months below 200 lbs I slowly regained until I had got back to my original weight prior to surgery, which was less than two years time.

I am scheduled for gastric bypass in late September due to acid reflux, but also to revive my weight loss again. I am over fifty so I realize I will most likely to hit a stall or two....does anyone keep the weight off when they do a revision? Especially if they didnt have a lot to lose (ie less than one hundred pounds)? I am excited but also keeping cautious optimism for a long term success