Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2022 Surgery Buddies

5 hours ago, JB_ said:

Hello. New on here. My date is on 11/23. 5'1 starting weight 220 now between 212-215. I'm very nervous. I start my 2 week liquid diet on 11/9. For those doing it already any tips!

i bought the fruity pebble Protein Powder and one scoop in the morning that made me feel like i had a naughty bowl of fruity pebbles in the morning without the sugar or high calories… satisfied me greatly.

9 hours ago, JB_ said:

Hello. New on here. My date is on 11/23. 5'1 starting weight 220 now between 212-215. I'm very nervous. I start my 2 week liquid diet on 11/9. For those doing it already any tips!

Welcome - I'm pretty new also. I'm right in the middle of my 2 week liquid diet and it's been ok - I thought it was going to be the absolute worst, but it hasn't been... I think I was finally fed up enough to do whatever it takes. The tools that saved me are an immersion blender, a little bullet blender, and a stir tool (it's a milk frother for coffee, but I don't froth things :) ) My food staples have been Fairlife 0% fat milk, Protein powers (mostly chocolate and vanilla), PB2 powdered Peanut Butter, blended Soup so no chunks (Bean with bacon, cream of chicken, and I made some butternut squash soup), Bare Bones Bone Broth, sugar free popsicles, Premier clear protein. Most you can order on Amazon. You can do it!

On 11/2/2022 at 7:41 AM, KimA-GA said:

one more day!!!!! scared out of my wits but as ready as i am going to be!

How are you doing so far??

22 minutes ago, CFRS said:

How are you doing so far??

so far good.. pain low and tolerable - gas not bad because i walk or move my shoulders every time i feel it starting… sipping away well.. hurts each time i sip but it’s only for a second.. i burp every single sip

hospitalist and surgeon cleared me to go home - yay!

So glad to hear you are doing well! Congratulations

2 hours ago, CFRS said:

Welcome - I'm pretty new also. I'm right in the middle of my 2 week liquid diet and it's been ok - I thought it was going to be the absolute worst, but it hasn't been... I think I was finally fed up enough to do whatever it takes. The tools that saved me are an immersion blender, a little bullet blender, and a stir tool (it's a milk frother for coffee, but I don't froth things :) ) My food staples have been Fairlife 0% fat milk, Protein powers (mostly chocolate and vanilla), PB2 powdered Peanut Butter, blended Soup so no chunks (Bean with bacon, cream of chicken, and I made some butternut squash soup), Bare Bones Bone Broth, sugar free popsicles, Premier clear Protein. Most you can order on Amazon. You can do it!

I start my 2 week liquid diet on 11-14. I am so glad to hear that it hasn't been as bad as imagined. I really think that I am also at the point of doing whatever I need to do, I am fed as well. I am so grateful to have found this site for support. It seems like the days are dragging to get my surgery date of 11-28.

On 11/03/2022 at 22:54, Fellbunny said:

Happy its going good for you.

I just reached the point in my preop diet that i have to drink the special drink they provided and cut one of my Snacks. I am struggling. Those of you on pure liquid preop are my new heros.

4 more days.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how everything goes!

On 11/04/2022 at 04:46, KimA-GA said:

glad you are doing great!!!!!!!!!

mine went great too. i hurt but tolerable. walking is helping big time.

are you burping with every sip???

Yes, nearly every sip for sure. I’m headed home here in an hour or so. Excited to get out of here.

Hey guys! I’m new here, just got my date of 11/15! Super excited and nervous all at the same time. Starting my liquid diet 11/09. Haven’t went shopping yet, any suggestions on Protein powders? Thanks!

Hello! I'm glad to have found this forum. I'm scheduled for surgery Nov. 10th. Can't believe it's less than a week away - I'm nervous, excited, and ready to be done with the pre-op diet! Good luck to everyone, I'm looking forward to going through this journey together.

Edited by Scorpio77

I am scheduled for surgery on November 22, 2022! I am having a sleeve to RNY revision, so I am a bit nervous.

2 hours ago, Scorpio77 said:

Hello! I'm glad to have found this forum. I'm scheduled for surgery Nov. 10th. Can't believe it's less than a week away - I'm nervous, excited, and ready to be done with the pre-op diet! Good luck to everyone, I'm looking forward to going through this journey together.

I am the 8th and I am also over the pre-op diet. Almost there!!!

1 hour ago, deardraya said:

I am scheduled for surgery on November 22, 2022! I am having a sleeve to RNY revision, so I am a bit nervous.

Good luck!!!! Hopefully round 2 isn't impeded by a pandemic an your Gerd is cured.

Post op gas sucks. Sipping has helped because it can make me burp. Have felt it move to my shoulder and neck. The moment that I feel that I start gently moving that area and it usually disappears quickly if I start on it right away. If I wait to move the area it turns into more pain and I don’t want that at all. Lots of gas bubbles that feel like they are under my sternum and those are tougher to deal with until they move somewhere else. Walking in general helps those some.

It hurts to sip some still. Not as bad as day 1, but I have also learned how freaking tiny the sips have to be. Using the one ounce cups from hospital (30 ml) I can only sip about 5 ml at a time comfortably. If I did over ten ml it huuurts ! I am sure that will be better with time but keeping it very small and frequent.

getting up and down sucks, but walking hasn’t been bad for me. Just slow and deliberate. I walked around my yard with my pecan gatherer (weighs about two pounds) and used it like a walking stick that picked up pecans yesterday. No bending, nope nope - not going to happen. Dumped it every ten or so nuts (I just turn it and dump into a box.. does not strain any bit of me).. sat on my outside swing frequently too. Enjoying the sunshine and resting between nut walks. The swing movement was helping with the gas too.

my big incision hurts, the others I can’t really even feel. The big one I have to hold my hand against going up or down and will ache at rest. All of my incisions have big bruises around them, the big one is the worst. Dr apparently told my husband and mom that he could tell inside that I had already lost weight because the fat in my internal areas were already looking good for someone my size.

husband made me an enriched beef broth for me last night (he pressure cooked meat and veg in beef stock and strained it through my fine mesh strainer). Tasted good, and warm things soothe and don’t hurt as bad going down (but sips need to stay the same..)

And in the TMI category - be aware that this surgery can also trigger your period to come early. Another joy of womanhood. At least I don’t usually get cramps, just more to do when I go to the bathroom to pee.. (last month it came early when I got terribly sick with the flu too)

other than that.. I am down 2 lbs already from surgery weight. I was expecting to be heavier because of all of the fluids and other liquids they put into me in the hospital. 149.5 lbs to go to get to ONEderland lol

time to go do some more nut walks !