Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stall out and depressed

14 hours ago, fourmonthspreop said:

I have been doing pretty heavy exercise, running again and lifting weights at the gym in fact this weight loss stall seemed to have started when I started the heavy exercise.

It’s great you’re getting back into exercising. Remember muscle weighs more than fat. So you may still be losing some fat but it’s equalising a little on the scales due to muscle growth.

First of all, you have done amazing in your weight loss, and you're only 29 lbs. away from goal. The closer the goal, the longer the "stalls". As long as you're eating at a calorie deficit, be assured that you are losing weight, it just isn't showing up on your scale yet. You are 6 ft. tall, and I don't believe 1300 calories is even close to your maintenance required calories so your stall will break and you'll get a big drop. For some reason, my body is somewhat like this. For myself, I don't lose for 3 weeks almost every month but then I get a big drop. One of the ways that I get comfort is looking over my food log, the amount of calories I had day by day, week to week... Etc. and I have to remind myself that there is no way that I could stay the same or gain weight on the amount of calories I'm consuming. Our minds love playing those games on us.

First of all, you have done amazing in your weight loss, and you're only 29 lbs. away from goal. The closer the goal, the longer the "stalls". As long as you're eating at a calorie deficit, be assured that you are losing weight, it just isn't showing up on your scale yet. You are 6 ft. tall, and I don't believe 1300 calories is even close to your maintenance required calories so your stall will break and you'll get a big drop. For some reason, my body is somewhat like this. For myself, I don't lose for 3 weeks almost every month but then I get a big drop. One of the ways that I get comfort is looking over my food log, the amount of calories I had day by day, week to week... Etc. and I have to remind myself that there is no way that I could stay the same or gain weight on the amount of calories I'm consuming. Our minds love playing those games on us.

Hopefully that's it! I've been so active and barely eating but I am not getting on that scale because it has so much control over my mood. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and maybe in a couple of weeks I'll check but I'm slowly realizing how much power the number has over me and how I need that to not be a thing because I am sick of hating myself.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Just wanted to update here, I broke my stall. Stepped on the scale today since writing the first post here. Am at 243 now. I feel okay about it. I am going to stay off the scale until next month because mentally, I am having a hard time facing the numbers and feeling okay with my progress and the way my body looks. There's a lot of self-hatred I need to undo and the scale is not helping me with that. Thanks for all your kind wishes and praise. I know we're all on different stages of this journey and it's never easy. I truly get so much from posting on this form and it's definitely changed my surgery journey for the better. Hope everyone is well xx

30 minutes ago, fourmonthspreop said:

Just wanted to update here, I broke my stall. Stepped on the scale today since writing the first post here. Am at 243 now. I feel okay about it. I am going to stay off the scale until next month because mentally, I am having a hard time facing the numbers and feeling okay with my progress and the way my body looks. There's a lot of self-hatred I need to undo and the scale is not helping me with that. Thanks for all your kind wishes and praise. I know we're all on different stages of this journey and it's never easy. I truly get so much from posting on this form and it's definitely changed my surgery journey for the better. Hope everyone is well xx

Yay. Glad the stall broke. And great idea to stay off the scale. It really does just mess with your head.

I did the same. I started walking, I went back to the basic and threw in some exercise. I went from 258 to 154. I want to get to 140. I get frustrated, be I keep going back to the basics,increasing my walking and exercise. I want to reach my goal by August 18th which will be 1 year out from surgery. So I want to remind you that you got this!

15 minutes ago, mfinney6615 said:

I did the same. I started walking, I went back to the basic and threw in some exercise. I went from 258 to 154. I want to get to 140. I get frustrated, be I keep going back to the basics,increasing my walking and exercise. I want to reach my goal by August 18th which will be 1 year out from surgery. So I want to remind you that you got this!

Great success! Congratulations!

On 6/27/2022 at 8:45 PM, fourmonthspreop said:

I know this is posted on here time and time again but I'm so frustrated. I'm getting ready for a cross country move. I really imagined that by this time I'd be in the 230s. I have stalled out for the last 3 or 4 weeks and am so frustrated about it. I keep going in between 248 and 251. I don't know if this is maintenance because im only a bit over 4 months post op from gastric bypass. I have definitely increased my calories but am eating in a deficit. My BMR is around 1900 and I'm eating in between 1000 and 1300 a day plus exercise. I have been slacking in Water and have not been having Protein Shakes at all because I'm getting a decent amount through solid food and don't want the extra cals.

How do I get past this? I'm going to stay off the scale until the end of next week but I'm still feeling really down and bad about myself. I feel like a disgusting fat mess honestly. I haven't had these feelings since pre op and I just need to vent about it. I was experiencing a period of mania a week ago for a good 2 weeks straight (I'm bipolar) and missed some of my meds. I think I might be crashing and going through a depressive state. It's not super bad but the weight loss stall is making me have a lot of negative self image and feelings of failure.

Should I just get back on liquids for a week or something? I'm losing my mind and getting depressed as hell. I'm taking my meds regularly again. I really only missed like 3 or 4 days and I take a small dosage. So I'm hoping to even back out soon but the stall is messing with my brain and confidence.

What do you do?

Plateaus are a normal part of this journey. Protein is definitely your number one priority and should be the bulk of what you are eating, especially 4 months post op. You did not specify the diet stage you are on at 4 months out or how much you are eating. Don't be too hard on yourself. Slow down and take a breath and start keeping a food diary of all you eat, and I bet you figure it out. It's a process and it definitely does not happy overnight.

I am experiencing my first stall and heading into week 3 of it. Very frustrating! As a fellow Bipolar I can't emphasize enough how important your meds are especially with the stress of a stall AND moving. Do you have a therapist you can vent this all out to that can help you gain some perspective and air out your fears? I don't know where I would be without mine.

I hope this helped!

Melly

I am experiencing my first stall and heading into week 3 of it. Very frustrating! As a fellow Bipolar I can't emphasize enough how important your meds are especially with the stress of a stall AND moving. Do you have a therapist you can vent this all out to that can help you gain some perspective and air out your fears? I don't know where I would be without mine.
I hope this helped!
Melly

Definitely! I've been really good about keeping on track with my meds lately. Taking it day by day. Really just making sure I cross off my Protein and Water for the day and workout. I broke my stall as of the last time I checked. I've actually dropped about 8 more lbs since moving. I am trying to have faith and confidence in myself that as long as I'm doing things right, the weight comes off.