Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m just wondering how my fellow foodies have navigated things since surgery and how are things going weeks, months, years out.

I went to school for culinary arts and though I no longer work in the food industry I still looooooove cheffing up some gourmet meals for my family. It’s truly my passion.

I just need reassurance that I’ll still be able to indulge in my passion even if I am only able to take a bite or two of my filet mignon or scallops. I just love having dinner parties and cooking for my people. If that makes sense.

I still enjoy cooking BIG special meals for the family at holidays, which is about the only time everyone shows up. If it's something I like I can eat my small quantities of it and be satisfied. If not, I'll do something else on my own. We also do the gourmet outings occasionally and I'll eat a couple bites of the courses that appeal and talk during those that don't.

One of my daughters loves cooking and like you went to culinary school. I spent a lot of time with her honing her skills and I pickup up a lot of techniques that I still employ when I cook. During this period she and I did a lot of cooking for the family together. Good times.

Now the kids are gone and my spouse can't really do much physically so I do all the cooking and house duties. She did it for our first 25 years so I'm taking care of it from about 15 years ago on out. I so enjoy cooking for her that it's not a chore and get to employ the skills I learned with our youngest.

I find I enjoy good food every bit as much as I did when binging was the order of the day. If I feel compelled to binge on something wonderful, I do it over the course of several meals, and still follow my rules.

TL;DR: Yes, you can still enjoy cooking and enjoy eating.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

the food restrictions and only being able to handle a couple of tablespoons of food at a sitting is temporary - a few months at best. Once you're about six months out, all food restrictions are lifted - it'll be more a matter of moderation, plus what your sleeve or pouch will tolerate.

at seven years out (and actually, for quite a long time), no one would be able to tell I had bariatric surgery by the way I eat. I'd probably be considered a "light eater" - and I really don't eat any differently than many of my never-been-obese women friends. When I go out - I'll order an appetizer. Or order an entree and take half of it home.

so yes - after the initial few months, you should be able to indulge in your passion again. You'll just have to do it in moderation and watch your portion sizes.

On 06/27/2022 at 10:21, The Greater Fool said:

I still enjoy cooking BIG special meals for the family at holidays, which is about the only time everyone shows up. If it's something I like I can eat my small quantities of it and be satisfied. If not, I'll do something else on my own. We also do the gourmet outings occasionally and I'll eat a couple bites of the courses that appeal and talk during those that don't.

One of my daughters loves cooking and like you went to culinary school. I spent a lot of time with her honing her skills and I pickup up a lot of techniques that I still employ when I cook. During this period she and I did a lot of cooking for the family together. Good times.

Now the kids are gone and my spouse can't really do much physically so I do all the cooking and house duties. She did it for our first 25 years so I'm taking care of it from about 15 years ago on out. I so enjoy cooking for her that it's not a chore and get to employ the skills I learned with our youngest.

I find I enjoy good food every bit as much as I did when binging was the order of the day. If I feel compelled to binge on something wonderful, I do it over the course of several meals, and still follow my rules.

TL;DR: Yes, you can still enjoy cooking and enjoy eating.

Good luck,

Tek

Tek, this was great to read! Thank you for being so informative! I appreciate your response it’s so reassuring!

On 06/27/2022 at 10:33, catwoman7 said:

the food restrictions and only being able to handle a couple of tablespoons of food at a sitting is temporary - a few months at best. Once you're about six months out, all food restrictions are lifted - it'll be more a matter of moderation, plus what your sleeve or pouch will tolerate.

at seven years out (and actually, for quite a long time), no one would be able to tell I had bariatric surgery by the way I eat. I'd probably be considered a "light eater" - and I really don't eat any differently than many of my never-been-obese women friends. When I go out - I'll order an appetizer. Or order an entree and take half of it home.

so yes - after the initial few months, you should be able to indulge in your passion again. You'll just have to do it in moderation and watch your portion sizes.

Thanks so much for this! This is very reassuring! My worries have been settled.

Of course you can still enjoy cooking anything but why not challenge yourself to make healthier versions of things that still taste great. I for one would love to hear of any recipes you come up with

On 07/11/2022 at 12:11, ShoppGirl said:

Of course you can still enjoy cooking anything but why not challenge yourself to make healthier versions of things that still taste great. I for one would love to hear of any recipes you come up with

The challenge has been accepted for sure. I used to work at a spa resort where I had to cook healthy versions of everything so I’m very familiar with cooking healthier cuisine.
I just really hope I can still enjoy some grilled filet mignon 🤤 I know it can sit heavy in some peoples pouches.

30 minutes ago, Edmira said:

The challenge has been accepted for sure. I used to work at a spa resort where I had to cook healthy versions of everything so I’m very familiar with cooking healthier cuisine.
I just really hope I can still enjoy some grilled filet mignon 🤤 I know it can sit heavy in some peoples pouches.

Ooh I absolutely have filet mignon with no issues. My hubby makes it on the grill with yummy grilled onions. One of my favorites. I just have to eat it again because he doesn’t really like steak and of course I have leftovers. I usually have it on a salad or make fajitas or quesadillas the next day with low carb wraps.