Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My taste buds are weird now LOL

Ya'll wanna hear something weird? Since I had my sleeve surgery on May 3rd, I've noticed my tastes are different. I used to be OBSESSED with bacon. Now I'm kinda meh about it. I could honestly take it or leave it. Don't really care either way. It just doesn't taste the same to me anymore.

I rarely use salt anymore because it tastes REALLY strong to me now (I used to salt everything). I also used to be completely head over heels for pickles. And while I still like them, the taste is SO strong now that I can only nurse one every once in a great while (when I used to be able to eat like half a jar in 1 sitting).

Sour and tarte flavors used to be my absolute FAVORITE, and now I can only tolerate them in very small amounts every once in a great while. I still don't have a sweet tooth (never really did) so I'm glad that didn't change.

Now I'm LOVING pineapple, watermelon (OMG sooooo gooood), grapes, etc... Gimme some hummus with sliced cucumbers and bell peppers and I'm in Heaven. Still love mild guacamole and mild chunky salsa but not a big fan of something that also used to be a huge favorite of mine, AVOCADO. I mean, I'm still ok with it, but I can kinda take it or leave it now.

So, so weird the things this surgery has changed lol Cool, but weird.

The change in your taste buds can be really weird. Things you loved suddenly taste disgusting. I was eating smoked salmon for a couple of weeks then one day it was like🤮. And I couldn’t face the vegetables I always ate. Thankfully the tummy turning aspect it is only temporary. Enjoy embracing new flavours cause that new enjoyment will last.

Oh & be glad your sense of smell hasn’t gone crazy either. That can make walking through malls, eating out & cooking at home miserable.

Your lucky. My only real change wasn’t a good one. While not literally a taste change, I crave sweets more.i used to like salty more than sweet. Luckily it can be satisfied with sugar free stuff but even still it’s empty calories. That was my only real change though. Ooh that and I like fish more than i used to. It is weird.

Edited by ShoppGirl

To me hummus and cooked salmon taste like they have been in the dustbin in the sun for 10 day eeeuw. My sense of smell was just like when I was pregnant, certain aromas like foods frying would make me wretch. Now that has calmed and I am so happy about it

my taste didn't change in that I liked some things that I didn't like before, and vice versa, but it DID become more intense. Sweet things tasted sweeter; spicy things tasted spicier. I don't notice it anymore and haven't since I was a few months out. Not sure if it went back to normal, or if I just got used to it.

at any rate, yes - changes in taste are pretty common after surgery.

My senses of smell and taste went haywire for a while. It evened out over time, but still aren't quite the same.

Smell was the worst, drove me and my husband nuts.

So I've some time to taste more stuff. pineapple is super sweet and not tart anymore lol I just don't care for bacon, but I like sausage. I don't like ham, but I like porkchops. I don't care for avocado but love guacamole. Used to love steak, now it's just ok. Still like chicken (dark meat, now white). Can't do lettuce at all. Used to love cottage cheese and sour cream but they taste sour and almost rotten now. Have almost no tolerance at all for salt and sugar. I figured this kind of stuff happened with bypass, not the sleeve. It's really weird.

And then there's my sense of smell. What is going on?? I smell things like stuff burning, poop, rotten stuff, etc. And of course, there's nothing there. And my sense of smell is so much more sensitive to the stuff that's actually there. My husband was changing the cat litter and the smell of the urine had me literally gagging (and it gets scooped twice a week and changed every Sunday. So it's not like it was horrible and nasty). The smell of my daughter's paints had me gagging. And the smell of house cleaning supplies just does me in. UGH. I hope this passes soon. It's horrible!!!!!!