Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my Band placed in 2007. My questions are about having it removed and getting gastric bypass. The band was curative of my heartburn and I've heard going bypass can cause heartburn, at least no citrus, Tomato juice, etc. Experience with that? How about no ibuprofen? (I use Celebrex) I've heard people say docs give them tramadol for pain. Experience? Is dumping syndrome common, (to the point of "expect it". I started at #325 and after a year was #250. I stabilized for years at #260-270. October 2021 was#266. My weight loss wasn't easy. It was a lot of meal planning, and strict diet. I've had zero complications. I haven't had the "foamies" for years and maybe get a bad "stuck", (spitting for an hour). I really need to lose 70 more pounds. Have those that switched from Band to Bypass found the weight loss to be "easier"? Is there general advice for me? Last time on the forum was maybe 15 years ago. I read an entry that someone had a doc that wanted the band out, wait 3 months, then do bypass. Is that common?

I've had some bad stuff going on for the past 4 years and have been having therapy and on meds and doing a lot better. In the last year I've been looking closely at bypass. I say this because I feel like I'm now in the right frame of mind to make the decision and willing to listen to advice. thanks, fobit 6-06-2022

Thank you.

I love your name Fobit. I wonder if it means the same as in my part of the UK ? To Fob it off means to put it off for another day. It could be school, work or just chores.

I have a sleeve and drink Tomato juice regularly. I take 4 co-codomol ever day. I hope you get the answers you need, good luck with the research

I never had the band or anything else. I’ve had bypass and it has helped with GERD issues for the most part. Only a small portion of us get dumping, like 10% or so? Anyone can correct me, please. I still have to plan meals, weigh and measure everything to keep myself on track. I work it as hard as any time before surgery only the surgery reinforces Portion Control and increases my odds for loosing and keeping it off. You will need to meet medical criteria to getting bypass or mini bypass. It sounds like you’ve done a lot of work to get to where you are now physically and emotionally! Congratulations:) There’s a thread on here or two about band to sleeve/bypass. You might find better info on there.

Welcome back. Gerd can develop after sleeve surgery not bypass. Bypass is usually the solution to gerd. Dumping isn’t very common & it can be controlled by dietary choices. Avoid high sugar & high fat & you’ll be fine. I have a sleeve & have the odd case of foamies though sometimes just the first stages when I accidentally eat something too dry or coarse or eat too quickly. When I do it doesn’t last long certainly not an hour. I think it is a more common side effect of the band.

It will be a no to NSAIDS with sleeve or bypass. They’re too harsh in your much smaller tummy. Post surgery you will likely be prescribed an opiate like tramadol. You may not need them or only need them for less than a week. You will need to discuss with your surgeon & other doctors alternatives to NSAIDs if you took celebrex for joint, back or other long term regular pain management.

As to juice, it may be an individual thing as to whether you can tolerate the acid content of certain juices. Juices are often on the list of things to avoid because of their high calorie content. Remember a single glass of juice contains a number of serves of fruit - more than you would eat as whole fruit. Better to eat the whole fruit & get a broader range of nutrients & fewer calories than from juice alone. Plus the whole fruit is more filling.

All the best.

You've gotten some incorrect information. Just to clear things up:

bypass usually improves if not outright cures GERD. In fact, it's the usual recommended weight loss surgery for people who've suffered from GERD.

No NSAIDs (this includes ibuprofen) after bypass - and a lot of surgeons are recommending no NSAIDs after sleeve, either.

about 30% of bypass patients have dumping syndrome. I've never had it - and most of us don't. It's caused by eating too much sugar or fat at one sitting, so if you're one of the 30% of patients who have it, you can control it by limiting or avoiding eating a lot of sugar or fat at one sitting.