Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any tall (6+ feet) FEMALE, bypassers and sleevers given a goal weight?

As I'm getting closer to my "goal zone" (in between 220-190) I'm wondering if anyone else who is female and six feet or taller was given a goal weight and what that should be. I distinctly remember my doctor showing me a chart during my initial consultation that put my sex and height at a desirable weight of 160 lbs but then my surgeon quickly said, that's not realistic for my frame/body and that these charts were outdated and inaccurate. He instead said I don't have a goal weight but told me he typically likes to see his patients under a BMI of 30 to reduce co-morbidities with being obese.

Since 220 puts me in the "overweight" range, I'm sticking to that as a realistic goal until I achieve it and will assess the situation from there (how I feel, look etc). I'm wondering if any females who have big frames, broad shoulders, and are tall, like 6 feet and above, were given goal weights. What do you think about it? Is/was it achievable? Are you happy with how you look?

So I stand by my claim that I'm 5'11"; however, I have a large frame and broad shoulders/back. I'm still in pre-op, but several years ago, I lost a lot of weight and made it down to about 215. I was satisfied with my size at that time. I was wearing 12/14 in pants.

2017.jpg

Hi, I'm 5'11 (close to 6')

MY team gave me a weight that is not accurate. Even one of the providers said that her previous patient was given the exact same number as goal weight (214). When I plugged in my info into the same tracker she should have been using, it said like 190lbs.

I have previously weighed and maintained 160lbs for 10 years - and for me, that is my goal weight. I like 160lbs.

image-0.0050067901611328125.jpg

Thanks for sharing! I feel like I couldn't even imagine being under 200 lbs but I think I just haven't weighed less than 200 since I was a little kid. I once lost a lot of weight too and got to 235. I don't have many pics from those days but I hve this one. I remember being able to feel my ribs and hip bones at that weight. I had a lot of loose skin on my lower stomach (apron stomach). My hips are really wide too. The side by side was me at like 300 lbs and the one next to it in the denim coat is about now at 255. 20180524_223637.jpg IMG_20220527_230945.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi, I'm 5'11 (close to 6')
MY team gave me a weight that is not accurate. Even one of the providers said that her previous patient was given the exact same number as goal weight (214). When I plugged in my info into the same tracker she should have been using, it said like 190lbs.
I have previously weighed and maintained 160lbs for 10 years - and for me, that is my goal weight. I like 160lbs.

image-0.0050067901611328125.thumb.jpg.af46c1e32b5348ac77486287cb371123.jpg
Nice! Did you get any excess skin removed? That can also affect weight. I'm also thinking doctors give u a goal factoring in excess skin.

I have several friends who've had this surgery who are 5'11" and are doing well around 175. But the weight you can sustain while still enjoying your life is much more important than the lowest weight you can get to.

Thats true. I feel like if I give myself a goal like 175 I'm never going to get there. I need to chunk things to make them mentally scalable lol I guess I'll see how 220 looks on me first.

Honestly, no matter what you set your goal weight at, your body is going to decide where it lands. That may be higher or lower than what you expect.

Honestly, no matter what you set your goal weight at, your body is going to decide where it lands. That may be higher or lower than what you expect.

Yeah have to keep that in mind. It'd be so nice to be under 200 though

I am 6ft tall. My surgeon's team did NOT give me a "goal" weight they only made sure my expectations on how much weight I would loose (based on averages) were within reason.

Years ago I lost a bunch of weight and was 245 and looked fantastic! Size 10/12 pants, large shirts.( I will have to find an old pic)

According to medical charts 6ft woman should weigh 140-177lbs. I am sorry if I offend anyone but that is disgustingly skinny. My brother is 6'2" and weighs about 190 and looks sick and starved.

I could never imagine myself under 200, although I would like to see 199 just to say I saw "100's" as an adult.

My ultimate long term goal is to maintain 200-225lbs.

I am 6ft tall. My surgeon's team did NOT give me a "goal" weight they only made sure my expectations on how much weight I would loose (based on averages) were within reason.
Years ago I lost a bunch of weight and was 245 and looked fantastic! Size 10/12 pants, large shirts.( I will have to find an old pic)
According to medical charts 6ft woman should weigh 140-177lbs. I am sorry if I offend anyone but that is disgustingly skinny. My brother is 6'2" and weighs about 190 and looks sick and starved.
I could never imagine myself under 200, although I would like to see 199 just to say I saw "100's" as an adult.
My ultimate long term goal is to maintain 200-225lbs.

I think it just goes to show weights look different on everyone because I know some tall girls who weigh around 160 and look great. I also know that at 235 I was looking decent, wore size 14 and L shirts and felt really good physically. I don't know though. I just hope I can make it to 220.

1 hour ago, fourmonthspreop said:

Nice! Did you get any excess skin removed? That can also affect weight. I'm also thinking doctors give u a goal factoring in excess skin.

Yes, I lost 180lbs with diet and exercise that I maintained since 2004 - until 2020. I have had a Tummy Tuck. I do not have excess skin like majority of people on this site (likely) as a result of my previous success and subsequent procedures.

8 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

According to medical charts 6ft woman should weigh 140-177lbs. I am sorry if I offend anyone but that is disgustingly skinny.

Hi.

I don’t normally reply to these, but there is a first time for everything I guess.

Let me first say that I believe you when you say your intention is not to offend.

But i do ask you to consider it could be challenging for someone NOT to be offended or hurt to be called “disgusting”, no?

(I mean, someone just posted a couple posts above yours who is 5’11” and 160 lbs…and she’s gorgeous!)

Just like when we were heavier it may have stung to be called “disgustingly FAT”, the sting is just as bad when we are on the lower end of the scale.

Just some food for thought ❤️

10 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Hi.

I don’t normally reply to these, but there is a first time for everything I guess.

Let me first say that I believe you when you say your intention is not to offend.

But i do ask you to consider it could be challenging for someone NOT to be offended or hurt to be called “disgusting”, no?

(I mean, someone just posted a couple posts above yours who is 5’11” and 160 lbs…and she’s gorgeous!)

Just like when we were heavier it may have stung to be called “disgustingly FAT”, the sting is just as bad when we are on the lower end of the scale.

Just some food for thought ❤️

Fair enough, maybe my choice of wording wasn't the best. Everyone has an opinion.