Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today is my three month anniversary. I can now eat solids! Doing ok, still rare occasional foamies, to avoid it I now watch the second hand on the clock and time each bite. Lost 52 pounds, mostly everywhere but my stubborn tummy. What I’m looking forward to is being to eat salad. Anyone out there have any problems with lettuce? I’m a little nervous about it as it seems like it might be hard to digest. Also every time I try something new I get nauseous after the first bite, then after a few minutes it goes away. Then after that if I eat the new thing again it doesn’t happen. It’s almost like my stomach is deciding if it wants to accept or reject a new food. Any one experience that? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Edited by eclarke

Happy 3 months! I’m looking forward to being there!

Try iceberg lettuce first as it has a softer leaf (avoid the darker outer leaves at first). I found others were too coarse for a while. Lettuce has a very high Water content which makes it easier to eat too. Chop it into small bite sizes pieces.

Just a thought, I wonder if some of the initial nausea after the first bite of a new food is more to you worrying & being tense about whether your tummy will like it?? We all have things we worry about in the first months of this process & the stress may be causing your tummy to react. Then, when you realise it’s ok the nausea goes. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I was able to eat salads again at some point, but I think it was later - maybe five or six months out.

Today is my three month anniversary. I can now eat solids! Doing ok, still rare occasional foamies, to avoid it I now watch the second hand on the clock and time each bite. Lost 52 pounds, mostly everywhere but my stubborn tummy. What I’m looking forward to is being to eat salad. Anyone out there have any problems with lettuce? I’m a little nervous about it as it seems like it might be hard to digest. Also every time I try something new I get nauseous after the first bite, then after a few minutes it goes away. Then after that if I eat the new thing again it doesn’t happen. It’s almost like my stomach is deciding if it wants to accept or reject a new food. Any one experience that? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hey I'm a bit over 3 months post op. Same thing with me. I miss salads dearly and I get random nausea. My doctor said that's normal. Everyday is different. Sometimes what worked before won't work tomorrow. I will probably try salad soon since I'm tolerating everything really well. Will start out with iceberg. I'm already allowed to eat all other raw vegetables. But yeah, I think it's just part of the experience. I get nauseous for no reason, still need zofran from time to time. I think it'll get better by month 6.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was able to tolerate everything pretty easily and ate salad as soon as I returned to normal foods but everyone is different. I was told that chopped lettuce was easier to digest. They sell it that way in bags at the grocery.

On 5/29/2022 at 9:48 PM, eclarke said:

I am a few weeks away from my 3 month anniversary and still struggle with an upset stomach when I eat. I also have the "foamies" and wondered if anyone has found anything that helps with that? I no longer take Tums or Pepto. Should I start with them again? I do take Prilosec daily though. Protein seems to upset my stomach the most. Question: How are you all doing with eating cooked vegetables with skins on them? Should I peel first? I haven't tried any yet and am worried about how my tummy will respond to peelings even though they are cooked. I love me some grilled succinic!

Hey I’m a teacher too! Middle School. Regarding peels, I ate cherries successfully but I would be cautious, it’s seems to a day by day thing. Some days are better than others. Yesterday my stomach hated everything and I could barely eat. I hope this goes away eventually.

On 6/1/2022 at 12:02 AM, TeacherT said:

I am a few weeks away from my 3 month anniversary and still struggle with an upset stomach when I eat. I also have the "foamies" and wondered if anyone has found anything that helps with that? I no longer take Tums or Pepto. Should I start with them again? I do take Prilosec daily though. Protein seems to upset my stomach the most. Question: How are you all doing with eating cooked vegetables with skins on them? Should I peel first? I haven't tried any yet and am worried about how my tummy will respond to peelings even though they are cooked.

Foamies usually occur, for me anyway, if I eat too quickly or too much, take too big of a swallow, or eat something that is too dry or coarse which results in the food sort of being stuck. It rarely happens now but every so often that too dry issue can catch me. I started eating vegetables from the soft food stage just made sure they were soft vegetables or I cooked them really well in Soups, stew/casserole style dishes. Then I just cooked them as I wanted. I did find cauliflower, cabbage, green Beans easiest to eat as a side at first. Would probably avoid skins on any fruit or vegetables to begin especially as coarseness may be a n issue for you still. Zucchini may be a challenge as without the skin it can be just mush when cooked. Wonder how you would go grating it & making like a fritter or as a base for a mini frittata or in a quiche??

Talk to your surgeon & dietician about the Protein issue for causes & alternatives.

I didn't have problems with lettuce but the skin on grapes, apples, even cherries gave me the foamies in the beginning. I rarely get foamies now but if I eat anything without chewing it properly, I will still get them. I had ribeye recently, it was so good but I must've eaten too fast cause an hour later, my chest and throat hurt from pressure until I got rid of the excess saliva. I use a tongue cleaner and it makes me gag just enough to release the excess saliva.

Foamies are the worst! Last night I ate some meat it didn’t chew well enough and I guess it got stuck, because I threw up foam for 6 hours and even Water wouldn’t go down. Finally it cleared, terrible experience! I read some people saying that papaya enzyme will help. I hope it doesn’t happen again, but I’m definitely going chew better from now on!!!

On 5/31/2022 at 9:02 AM, TeacherT said:

Question: How are you all doing with eating cooked vegetables with skins on them? Should I peel first? I haven't tried any yet and am worried about how my tummy will respond to peelings even though they are cooked.

My food plan recommends no fruit or vegetables with skin. It has to be peeled. Otherwise, it will sit in your stomach for a long time.