Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3+ month post op and eating in the morning

Hey!

I was curious if anyone is experiencing this or has experienced this in the past. I'm a little over 3 months post op and as I transition more into regular eating, I find that I CANNOT eat in the mornings to early afternoon. Like my body can't physically handle food until around 2pm. If I eat something before then it gets "stuck" or I get the slimeee and need to puke. Doesn't matter what it is, I try eggs, Protein yogurt, Beans, cheese, veggies, fruit, all of it gets stuck and I get nauseous for an hour or so. This has been a recent development...maybe the past month this has started. It's not a stricture because past 2 I have no issues regardless of what the food is and don't feel my restriction at night but I do get nauseous if I overdo it.

So far I just drink a Protein Shake in the morning or just a coffee or Water and then two meals past 2pm to get my calories and protein in. Idk it's so weird. Wondering why the restriction is so extreme in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m not near that far out, 16 days. But I don’t eat “real food” until about 2 either. But like you I do a Protein Shake in the morning/late morning. Sometimes it’s just the one small meal and sometimes I can do two. I don’t mind it personally. My surgeon says it’s fine.

1 hour ago, fourmonthspreop said:

Hey!

I was curious if anyone is experiencing this or has experienced this in the past. I'm a little over 3 months post op and as I transition more into regular eating, I find that I CANNOT eat in the mornings to early afternoon. Like my body can't physically handle food until around 2pm. If I eat something before then it gets "stuck" or I get the slimeee and need to puke. Doesn't matter what it is, I try eggs, Protein yogurt, Beans, cheese, veggies, fruit, all of it gets stuck and I get nauseous for an hour or so. This has been a recent development...maybe the past month this has started. It's not a stricture because past 2 I have no issues regardless of what the food is and don't feel my restriction at night but I do get nauseous if I overdo it.

So far I just drink a Protein Shake in the morning or just a coffee or Water and then two meals past 2pm to get my calories and Protein in. Idk it's so weird. Wondering why the restriction is so extreme in the morning.

I dealt with this when I had my lap band. (I can't speak to RNY because I'm still pre op for that) but this issue was notorious with lap banders. My surgeon said it was due to normal swelling. Fluid retention. Fluid settles upwards towards the stomach when we lay down to sleep. When we wake up and move around, the fluid starts shifting. Hence as the hours pass, it becomes easier to eat solid foods. Also with lap band, a lot of ladies noticed the swelling persisted all day long during the entirety of their cycles. So a lot of female banders ended up getting IUD's (Mirena) so they didn't have periods.

So now even a year after having my lap band removed, I still am not able to eat in the mornings very much. I've become a natural intermittent faster due to the band.

It's interesting that you bring this up as an RNY'er because I didn't think it was an issue for anyone except Banders. But the science is the same (the fluid retention). I'm curious if more RNY'ers notice this issue that you're having as well. I hope it gets easier for you!

Best wishes!

Edited by BypassingMyPhatAss♡

I know other people who can't handle food in the morning (actually, even some people who HAVEN'T had weight loss surgery can't handle food in the morning!). My dietitian tells them it's fine to have a Protein Shake for Breakfast.

Interesting! I have never in my adult life wanted to eat breakfast but after my sleeve it's more like I can't. My dietician was so persistent that breakfast kick-starts your metabolism, and that I was going to be fat forever if I didn't get myself around to breakfast, blah blah blah, that I did torture myself into it a bit. But on the few occasions that I have tried it just sits there after a few spoons. I just took it as a sign to wait longer. I'm not sure I understand the Fluid thing described above but it's definitely a thing for me.

33 minutes ago, Spinoza said:

Interesting! I have never in my adult life wanted to eat Breakfast but after my sleeve it's more like I can't. My dietician was so persistent that breakfast kick-starts your metabolism, and that I was going to be fat forever if I didn't get myself around to breakfast, blah blah blah, that I did torture myself into it a bit. But on the few occasions that I have tried it just sits there after a few spoons. I just took it as a sign to wait longer. I'm not sure I understand the Fluid thing described above but it's definitely a thing for me.

This explains about the Fluid retention and how it affects the stomach with lap band. It's plausible that it could affect the pouch of other wls's as well, perhaps?

https://www.laparosurgery.com/blog/my-band-feels-tighter-in-the-morning-is-this-normal/#:~:text=That is why it may,becomes less swollen and thinner.

I think we all find the way of eating that works best for us. It sounds like your body is leading you to eat like intermittent fasting (which a lot of people swear by).

I eat almost every meal later than I ever did before (not as late as you though 😉) but then before when I ate was dictated by things like work. Now I breakfast around 9 because I’m not really hungry before then. I snack at 12, lunch at around 3:30 (sometimes later) & dinner around 6:30pm.

If it works for you & you’re getting in your Protein, other nutrients & fluids it shouldn’t be an issue what time you eat.

I use to intermittent fast, the first time I lost a significant amount of weight I did OMAD but it lead to binge eating after a while and was hard to maintain. It helps now with the bypass that I don't feel hunger as intensely and can't physically binge anyway. I usually just do a shake and coffee. Sometimes though it's awkward, I've bee invited to brunch/breakfast and can't eat but usually I just get an egg a la carte and push it around to keep up appearances.
I've never heard of the Fluid thing but it would explain the extreme discomfort in the morning and virtually nothing in the afternoon lol. I will ask my doc. I'm personally not concerned. I don't mind not eating breakfast and have never been a breakfast person. I was just curious if this is a normal part of wls, i.e., restrictions going strong in the morning. Interesting perspectives tho!

I'm way "tighter" in the morning. When I mentioned it to my surgeon on my 3 month check up (I'm 10 months now), he suggested drinking hot tea or coffee first to relax the throat, muscles... Etc.

On 5/22/2022 at 4:59 PM, catwoman7 said:

I know other people who can't handle food in the morning (actually, even some people who HAVEN'T had weight loss surgery can't handle food in the morning!). My dietitian tells them it's fine to have a Protein Shake for Breakfast.

*raises hand*

im one of those people who can’t/won’t eat until after noon. Both before and after surgery.

pre-op, if i ate early im the day i would feel sluggish all morning…so i didn’t.

post-op, I guess it was just a lifetime habit continuing, and i too became a natural intermittent faster because i also implemented not eating past 7-8pm to avoid any food regurgitation during sleep (it happened once in the early days and it was horrible enough for me to make sure it never happened again!)

P.S. its not to say I NEVER eat before noon, but it is a very, very rare event. Its almost always just coffee for me until i have my first meal of the day.

Edited by ms.sss