Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery was April 4th of this year. I can't keep anything down. I'm not getting enough Protein or fluids. Water, Protein Shakes, protein waters, Jello, pudding, etc all comes back up. The only thing I can eat are sugar free Popsicles. I also suck on sugar free hard candy to help with dry mouth. It's frustrating. The hard part is I cook for my family and it's difficult because I can't eat any of it. I have an appetite but everything makes me throw up (I cant move past full liquids until I reach my protein goals). I'm back at work also and at lunch everyone goes out to eat and bring their food back to the office. The smells make me want to throw up but I miss eating. I feel like I might have a mental break because I really want to cry when I think about not being able to eat and constantly throwing up. Is anyone else experiencing this? Not being able to keep anything down? Just to clarify I only take in about an ounce or 2 of liquid before I feel nauseous and usually with an hour or two it's coming back up.

What does your surgeon say? You may have a stricture which can be quite easily repaired. Symptoms can include vomiting, nausea, inability to eat solid foods, difficulty swallowing, food intolerances.

Contact your medical team as soon as you can. Even if it isn’t a stricture, they need to work out why you are experiencing these issues so something can be done to help you.

28 minutes ago, Bell82 said:

My surgery was April 4th of this year. I can't keep anything down. I'm not getting enough Protein or fluids. Water, Protein Shakes, Protein waters, Jello, pudding, etc all comes back up. The only thing I can eat are sugar free Popsicles. I also suck on sugar free hard candy to help with dry mouth. It's frustrating. The hard part is I cook for my family and it's difficult because I can't eat any of it. I have an appetite but everything makes me throw up (I cant move past full liquids until I reach my protein goals). I'm back at work also and at lunch everyone goes out to eat and bring their food back to the office. The smells make me want to throw up but I miss eating. I feel like I might have a mental break because I really want to cry when I think about not being able to eat and constantly throwing up. Is anyone else experiencing this? Not being able to keep anything down? Just to clarify I only take in about an ounce or 2 of liquid before I feel nauseous and usually with an hour or two it's coming back up.

You are 43 days post op. This is not good and not normal at all. You need to call your surgeon's office asap to get to the bottom of this. What surgery did you have?

Its very unpleasant to have to go through this, its like you cant get on like everyone else. I didn't have a stricture but I did suffer this for 3 months. I never met my goals either, It has not had a adverse effect on my health. I haven't had a episode for a couple of weeks now but I feel nauseous when I smell some foods, just like when I was pregnant. At the moment my diet is limited but I am trying to expand it. If I vomit on a food it puts me off it for a a few weeks. I would contact your team and make sure you do not have a stricture or need some some better nausea tablets. Good luck going forward.

which surgery did you have? If gastric bypass, I'd suspect a stricture - happens to about 5% of RNY patients, and it's an easy fix. Plus you're in the right time frame for one. In any event, you need to contact your clinic. This isn't normal and they need to figure out what's going on.

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

which surgery did you have? If gastric bypass, I'd suspect a stricture - happens to about 5% of RNY patients, and it's an easy fix. Plus you're in the right time frame for one. In any event, you need to contact your clinic. This isn't normal and they need to figure out what's going on.

I had the gastric sleeve done.

9 hours ago, Arabesque said:

What does your surgeon say? You may have a stricture which can be quite easily repaired. Symptoms can include vomiting, nausea, inability to eat solid foods, difficulty swallowing, food intolerances.

Contact your medical team as soon as you can. Even if it isn’t a stricture, they need to work out why you are experiencing these issues so something can be done to help you.

I went in a few weeks ago and told them my symptoms and was just told it was because I wasn't getting enough Protein and not healing quick enough. I was told to meet my protein goals and it would get better.

45 minutes ago, Bell82 said:

I went in a few weeks ago and told them my symptoms and was just told it was because I wasn't getting enough Protein and not healing quick enough. I was told to meet my Protein goals and it would get better.

If I were you and I still felt like that three weeks later I would contact them again. If nothing else they need to be aware that you are still not holding anything down. If you really are vomiting everything up, You may need supplemental nutrition.

Search the keyword nausea for these forums. There are a lot of people (Like me) who are on anti-nausea meds. He said it's a hormone that does that. I am on TWO different drugs-one was suppositories 😳-and I made him change THAT. Without the meds, it is a constant state of nausea. He said it would get better--BUT there is no reason to SUFFER til you do! BE vocal! If he won't help, go back to your primary, or a gastrointestinal doctor. THEY work for YOU.

21 hours ago, Bell82 said:

My surgery was April 4th of this year. I can't keep anything down. I'm not getting enough Protein or fluids. Water, Protein Shakes, Protein waters, Jello, pudding, etc all comes back up. The only thing I can eat are sugar free Popsicles. I also suck on sugar free hard candy to help with dry mouth. It's frustrating. The hard part is I cook for my family and it's difficult because I can't eat any of it. I have an appetite but everything makes me throw up (I cant move past full liquids until I reach my protein goals). I'm back at work also and at lunch everyone goes out to eat and bring their food back to the office. The smells make me want to throw up but I miss eating. I feel like I might have a mental break because I really want to cry when I think about not being able to eat and constantly throwing up. Is anyone else experiencing this? Not being able to keep anything down? Just to clarify I only take in about an ounce or 2 of liquid before I feel nauseous and usually with an hour or two it's coming back up.

Did you call your surgeon's office? If so, what did they say?

13 hours ago, Bell82 said:

I had the gastric sleeve done.

You can develop a stricture with a sleeve too. I’d really start demanding they investigate why you are struggling so much. You’ll never get in the Protein you need if you are vomiting.

On 5/17/2022 at 9:41 PM, Bell82 said:

Thank you all for your advice. I reached out to my Dr and he ordered all these tests and blood work because this was not normal. He started me on new medication and hopefully soon things will get better. Thank you all again! Your support and advice was greatly appreciated and it really helped!!