Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Outpatient surgery?



Recommended Posts

Hi, I wanted to ask about those who have had their wls done at a surgery center, rather than a hospital? My RNY is scheduled for Monday and I’ll be released that same day so I was just curious if you felt comfortable enough going home the same day, or if you had any other concerns with it? Thanks for your help! I’ve been learning so much from this forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ooof. I would never want to be released same day. That first day right after surgery was rough, very rough. I am glad i was in a hospital where i was monitored overnight. Also they give you fluids until you are discharged the next day which was great because drinking right after surgery first was not allowed for a few hours then you can only take tiny sips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you close to the hospital? Will you have someone to care for you? My surgeon does an overnight stay but advised he would keep me for two days as I lived alone - he wanted to make sure I was stable, had pain under control, able to swallow, sipping, moving easily, etc. ended up staying three days as my back went into spasm on day 2.

Are they willing to let you stay overnight if you want to? Will your insurance cover it? Would you feel more comfortable with an overnight stay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

Are you close to the hospital? Will you have someone to care for you? My surgeon does an overnight stay but advised he would keep me for two days as I lived alone - he wanted to make sure I was stable, had pain under control, able to swallow, sipping, moving easily, etc. ended up staying three days as my back went into spasm on day 2.

Are they willing to let you stay overnight if you want to? Will your insurance cover it? Would you feel more comfortable with an overnight stay?

I’m self-pay, which is why it’s an outpatient procedure. I live about an hour and a half from the surgery center so I’m staying in a hotel close by. I have to go the next day (Tuesday) for a swallow study, and then a follow up with the surgeon on Wednesday so I’ll be there for a few days. My best friend will be with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Dani1491 said:

I’m self-pay, which is why it’s an outpatient procedure. I live about an hour and a half from the surgery center so I’m staying in a hotel close by. I have to go the next day (Tuesday) for a swallow study, and then a follow up with the surgeon on Wednesday so I’ll be there for a few days. My best friend will be with me.

Curious. how much is your procedure? I was self pay as well. Wonder what the cost difference is between a hospital stay and outpatient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also had to pay for it myself. I was lucky they offered a all inclusive package, Stay as long as was necessary and with 2 years dietician and weigh ins. I had to stay 6 days, 5 days for being unable to drink and nausea and 1 day because we had a power outage and had no heating at home. You are close by and have assistance so you will be fine. You will know if you need to stay longer in the hotel. Lots of people have day surgery and have said it was easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, liveaboard15 said:

Curious. how much is your procedure? I was self pay as well. Wonder what the cost difference is between a hospital stay and outpatient.

It was $14,500. It was much less expensive than the other self-pay places I found. The sleeve is around $12,000 I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dani1491 said:

It was $14,500. It was much less expensive than the other self-pay places I found. The sleeve is around $12,000 I think.

Ok yea a bit cheaper. I am self pay. My sleeve was $18K and for bypass the self pay rate at my location would have been $23K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, summerseeker said:

I also had to pay for it myself. I was lucky they offered a all inclusive package, Stay as long as was necessary and with 2 years dietician and weigh ins. I had to stay 6 days, 5 days for being unable to drink and nausea and 1 day because we had a power outage and had no heating at home. You are close by and have assistance so you will be fine. You will know if you need to stay longer in the hotel. Lots of people have day surgery and have said it was easy.

Ugh, that sounds like such a rough start to your recovery, I’m sorry you had to deal with that. I’m hoping there aren’t any complications, but I know everyone’s experience is different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s difficult to say how I would have done without the fluids I got at the hospital but aside from that I would’ve been able to go home same day. I was up and about at the hospital without any issues. I had very little pain post op. They already took me off all the pain meds and sent me home the next day when I was supposed to stay two nights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im sure i would have been fine if i went home same day, but staying a night was better for ME just peace-of-mind wise.

And while im sure i would have managed getting to the bathroom myself and administering my own pain meds same day, it was just a nice-to-have for someone there to help.

But If i was self-pay and going to pay to stay in hotel nearby anyway, i’d probably just use the money to pay for the hospital stay.

But that’s me…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see the allure of comfort being in charge of yourself, but I would not have been able to go out the same day. In the evening of the surgery I got up to go to the bathroom and was suddenly overwhelmed with both dizziness and nausea. The nurse with me hurried me back to bed and spent (what felt like forever but was probably 45 minutes) getting anti-nausea meds. Then it took a while for the meds to work.

If I had fallen I knew at least a team of people could have been there to get me up. I’m not sure I would have the wherewithal to tough it out in a hotel room, or that my friend would either.

Well, I do see the financial difference of just getting it done while you can. And truthfully, I had a difficult hiatal hernia repair that made my whole surgery time 6-8 hours. All I remember was going down in the morning and waking up at night. No one plans on extra difficulties. I’m hearing you on the financials/health and wishing you the best of recoveries! I’ve never regretted my RNY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hospitalized for three days with my RNY, and I spent every one of those 72 hours being profoundly grateful for my nurses. I don't even want to think about how horrendous those days would have been without their help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had VSG at a hospital, was self-pay ($25K - ouch). It included one night at the hospital but, honestly, I could have easily gone home the same day. No real pain for me, just minimal discomfort, controlled by Tylenol. Folks’ experiences vary greatly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Elidh said:

I had VSG at a hospital, was self-pay ($25K - ouch). It included one night at the hospital but, honestly, I could have easily gone home the same day. No real pain for me, just minimal discomfort, controlled by Tylenol. Folks’ experiences vary greatly.

Holy crap. Thats the most i have seen so far for sleeve surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • lizardskelter

      done
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • heyitsdilly

      I've officially surpassed 80lbs of weight loss! Working on that 100lbs!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Songbyrd420

      Kind of nervous, as expected. One month out from surgery!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • lauren.g

      😫 Hi, I’m new to bariatricpal! I am 8 days post op VSG. I am struggling very badly. I’ve been so emotional because I feel like I’m doing wrong. I’m afraid I’ll eat or drink to fast or eat the wrong thing. I’ve been on Pinterest and YouTube constantly for help. I have followed all of my surgeons and dieticians instructions. I just don’t know if my body is getting enough. Today, I am weak, sore, and just exhausted. 
      · 2 replies
      1. Tara A

        It passes!! Everyone goes though it! It is a short term emotion! I'm almost five years post op! You made the right decision! Don't focus on the change right now. Try to entertain your mind. What your feeling only last about a week. It's related to your body adjusting and you mind adjusting. You got this!!

      2. SleeverSk

        I agree with Tara it's hard right now but it gets better do t forget your hormones will be all over the place you may even feel depressed. Be kind to yourself reach out and talk to people how you are feeling .

    • Reluctantsleever

      Scheduled for VSG and hernia repair surgery 5/18/22
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×