Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hitting Post Op Protein & 64 ozs Fluids

How long did it take you to reach Protein 60g and 64 ozs Fluids post op?? I am on day 4 post op and feel miserable trying to hit those goals. I feel bloated and over full. I pretty much feel like I could puke all day long, not from nausea issues but having too much fluids in me....ugh 😣

Protein was relatively easy, I drink a Premier Protein every day, it's just 11 oz but 30 grams of protein, and I get the rest of my protein in through meals. Immediately after my surgery I ate 2 scrambled eggs with 1 oz of shredded cheese for Breakfast (still do every day), and for the rest of my meals the first month it was chicken salad, egg salad, tuna salad, turkey salad, etc. so no problem with protein.

Fluid intake was always my biggest problem and it was a long time before I hit 64 oz, a day, and I still rarely hit it even several months later.

I wouldn’t worry yet. I didn’t meet my goals for a little while but my surgeon was happy I was making an effort & close to where I needed to be. It got easier on purées because I was eating g three times a day During the liquid stage I wasn’t hungry or interested in eating & was only managing two meals a day: a shake & some soup/broth. Was probably only meeting about 2/3 to 3/4 of my goals at first.

3 hours ago, Crisscat said:

How long did it take you to reach Protein 60g and 64 ozs Fluids post op?? I am on day 4 post op and feel miserable trying to hit those goals. I feel bloated and over full. I pretty much feel like I could puke all day long, not from nausea issues but having too much fluids in me....ugh 😣

I get 50g of Protein per day with a Fairlife shake (30g) and a protein Water (20g). That's the best I can do right now. As for fluids, I get 44oz a day. 11oz from the shake, 16oz from the water, and I can drink half of a 28oz gatorade zero each day (so 14oz). I can't get any more in. I'm 10g short on protein and 20oz short on fluids each day, and I can't let myself get worked up about it because right now, at 4 days post op, I'm doing the best I can. As long as you're doing your best, that's all that can be reasonably expected of you.

Edited by SleeveDiva2022

I drank a lot of Bone Broth - it is another way to get in Protein in liquid form, and I loved it during liquid stage and throughout all the early stages. It has more protein (9-10g) per cup than typical broth. There are many different brands out there, some flavored. My tummy liked warm liquids best, so it went down a lot easier than other protein items.

11 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I can't let myself get worked up about it because right now, at 4 days post op, I'm doing the best I can. As long as you're doing your best, that's all that can be reasonably expected of you.

I am doing better today I think. Still feel full all the time but at the moment I dont feel like puking from being so full lol. Ive got to change my mindset to yours.....not going to worry about it just do what I can.

I am so ready to be off liquids but have another week to go.

5 hours ago, Queen ApisM said:

My tummy liked warm liquids best, so it went down a lot easier than other Protein items.

I was able to get some warm ramen beef seasoning down 8ozs worth, easier than other beef broths surprisingly. Alot of sodium but I think at the minute I need it. I look pale and feel weakly. I dont think Im dehydrating I think my body is trying to figure out what the hell is going on lol. I started my bariatric multi Vitamin and Calcium today hoping that will help as well. I feel good, no swelling or inflammation at all. I dont feel tired but I am still taking it easy as not alot of calories going in and I dont want to expel the small amount I have to quickly.

10 minutes ago, Crisscat said:

I am so ready to be off liquids but have another week to go.

OMG SAAAAAME!!!!!!!!!!!

I was able to meet my fluid goals (2 litres/day) around 2 months post op.

I was hitting Protein goals (70g/day) consistently by around 4 months post. Where “consistently” == 75-85% of the time. Some days i had way more, so I figure it al evened out. 😉

I struggle with the liquid intake too. Try to supplement with Soups and 2 Protein Shakes if I can instead of just one (so let's call it 1 1/2 a day) but it is still very hard for me.

I was able to get mine pretty easily from day 2 by having fluids like Soup, pudding and cream of wheat (if that's permitted for you) mixed with the best invention ever - Isopure Protein Powder, which tastes like nothing and gives you 25g of Protein per scoop. As soon as I discovered it, I said goodbye to Protein Shakes. Gets me towards my 64oz of Fluid and 60g of protein.

44 minutes ago, samulls01 said:

Where do get/buy the Isopure Protein powde

I get mine on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SCO8AA8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00