Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Single anastomosis duodeno-ileal switch with sleeve gastrectomy

Hello everyone! New to this site. I have done a lot of research and I am pretty positive I want to have the SADI-S surgical procedure done for weight loss. Has anyone else had this done? If so, can you please tell me about your experience with it? I want the good and bad parts of your experience to know as much as possible. I went to one of the major hospital bariatric surgeon groups in my area that said they accept self pay since my insurance doesn’t cover anything dealing with weight loss and after 5+ hours of classes and meetings with the team the surgeon came in and said no to any surgery because my insurance will not cover it and she doesn’t want to do it in case of a complication and me being 100% financially responsible for the cost. So I have another appointment with a different major hospital bariatric surgeon in 2 weeks and I explained what happened and they said they will deal with the insurance company and will accept self pay, they said this is a common thing they deal with.

Thanks for any information and help you give!

Hi there. From everything I read your first was sleeve w\ Sadi is going to be wonderful. I’m a revision surgery, so unfortunately I can’t tell you much. My experience is slow, BMS are bad with a lot of simple carbs, but I’m thankful for the opportunity

I had the SADI-S on July 23, 2020, so I'm getting close to 2 years out. It was definitely the best thing I ever did. I was self pay because our insurance at the time didn't cover any wls. I have lost 200 pounds. I started at 393 (I'm 5'3") and I'm currently 193. I'm hoping to lose more. I'm losing very slowly now, but it's still coming off.
The surgery was not bad, except for the first few days I had a lot of nausea.
Lo and behold, our insurance now covers wls, including this one, so my husband is having it done on May 13th.
They are giving him nausea meds pre-op, so I'm guessing quite a few people have had nausea with it like it did. There weren't very many people having it done when I did so they didn't know as much.
I am so happy I chose the SADI-S. I feel amazing, and I have tolerated most foods. I do notice alcohol just doesn't seem to sit right in my stomach, but I've only had it a few times since surgery and I'm not a big drinker so it doesn't matter too much to me anyway.
My life has changed completely in so many ways!
It is late and I'm tired so I can't think of what else to write at the moment but I'll be glad to answer any questions you have!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for the information!

It is great to hear that nearly two years out you are happy with the results and that you are healthy. SADI is the surgery I hope to have done soon. Thanks for posting about your success.

It is great to hear that nearly two years out you are happy with the results and that you are healthy. SADI is the surgery I hope to have done soon. Thanks for posting about your success.

I'm glad I could help and if you have any questions I'd love to answer them!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app

23 hours ago, HelenR said:

On 4/23/2022 at 6:27 AM, Changenprogress said:

Hello everyone! New to this site. I have done a lot of research and I am pretty positive I want to have the SADI-S surgical procedure done for weight loss. Has anyone else had this done? If so, can you please tell me about your experience with it? I want the good and bad parts of your experience to know as much as possible. I went to one of the major hospital bariatric surgeon groups in my area that said they accept self pay since my insurance doesn’t cover anything dealing with weight loss and after 5+ hours of classes and meetings with the team the surgeon came in and said no to any surgery because my insurance will not cover it and she doesn’t want to do it in case of a complication and me being 100% financially responsible for the cost. So I have another appointment with a different major hospital bariatric surgeon in 2 weeks and I explained what happened and they said they will deal with the insurance company and will accept self pay, they said this is a common thing they deal with.

Thanks for any information and help you give!

I'm scheduled for Sadi surgery on May 31st. So I will be glad to let you anyone know how my personal journey goes also! :) I wasn't able to find a lot of info on it either. Due to Type 2 and other medical problems Sadi was the best option for me

I had the loop DS / SADI-S in November 2021 (~6 months ago). I have a 300cm common channel (the part of my intestine that can still digest food and absorb nutrients). Since my surgery date I have lost 82 lbs and am still losing about 6lbs a month.

I had some complications post surgery that I've had to deal with. Turns out my gallbladder was bad going into the surgery but no one realized it (since I had sludge and not stones). So they didn't take my gallblader out during the surgery and had to go back in to remove it 3 months later. I really wish they had proactively removed it because I was sick for months waiting for the gallbladder surgery and recovering from a second surgery so soon sucked.

I still have a hiatal hernia because for reasons, it didn't get repaired. Again, I'd totally recommend making sure that they fix EVERYTHING while they have you open...

I also have bad liver function test results that I'm waiting to hear back on, so I can't really comment much on why it's off. I feel fine though.

I take Vitamins 6 times a day for the rest of my life: 3 calciums and 2 Multi Vitamins. So far my Vitamin levels look good.

I eat about 500 calories a day still at 6 months out because I'm not hungry still. I realize some programs want more calories, but my surgeon has stressed that I shouldn't eat unless actually hungry. I don't have problems with any foods really, and my digestion is just fine (though I guess more gassy than before).

I had a lot of health problems before surgery, none of which were resolved by the weight loss (total: 133 lbs). My a1c is better, though I still spike super high (200-300) if I have carbs (or surgery!) and even a small amount elevates my blood sugar all day. In my opinion, my a1c looks good because I'm eating so few calories, and zero carbs. In reality I will have diabetes for life and will need to watch that. I am still on blood pressure medication, still have Migraines, still have intercranial hypertension, still take statins for my cholesterol, still take heartburn medication, etc. I am off of my diabetes medication for the time being.

I did the weight loss surgery to resolve my health problems. So far I am very happy with the results, mostly because it's nice to be able to move around without getting hot and tired, and have people see me as a person and not immediately judge me for my weight. But it hasn't really made me healthier yet. Maybe it will eventually but either way it feels worth it.