Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pouch/Jejunum stretched - Barium Swallow

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had a barium swallow test done after gastric bypass surgery to check if their pouch has stretched or for any other reason? I had a barium swallow done as I suffer from LPR (silent reflux) where I aspirate non-acidic reflux into my throat and lungs. The results show that my Jejunum (small intestine) has stretched to the same size as my pouch.

Would love to hear from anyone that has had a barium swallow which has shown that not only has their pouch stretched, but the jenumum (small intestine) has stretched also after the join between the stomach pouch and jejunum. I have attached a photo from my barium swallow scan for your reference which shows that after the narrow join where the arrows are, my jejunum has stretched.

Untitled.png

Wow! That’s crazy! I had a barium swallow done last week but I don’t know the results of it. Yesterday I had am EDG. They did these because I’m nauseous all the time and they want to look at my stomach.
The doctor mentioned yesterday that I might need a the one where they put that small thing through your nose and it goes down into your stomach and you have to drink when they get it down there to see if how you swallow is OK. That test was just awful! I think I’d rather have a colonoscopy🙃

4 hours ago, yesno789 said:

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had a barium swallow test done after gastric bypass surgery to check if their pouch has stretched or for any other reason? I had a barium swallow done as I suffer from LPR (silent reflux) where I aspirate non-acidic reflux into my throat and lungs. The results show that my Jejunum (small intestine) has stretched to the same size as my pouch.

Would love to hear from anyone that has had a barium swallow which has shown that not only has their pouch stretched, but the jenumum (small intestine) has stretched also after the join between the stomach pouch and jejunum. I have attached a photo from my barium swallow scan for your reference which shows that after the narrow join where the arrows are, my jejunum has stretched.

I'm sorry to read about your LPR diagnosis. It's a serious issue for sure.

I'm not really sure how to reply to you about this, because I looked back at your previous posts and see that you had VSG and lost weight, then regained and then revised to RNY and then made a thread about how much fast food you could still eat and subsequent weight regain with RNY due to fast food choices. So obviously there was an issue two years ago (and probably prior to that) when you were still eating copious amounts of KFC etc... so I'm wondering if you reached out to your bariatric team when you realized how much you could eat. If not, why not? Perhaps they would've directed you to a therapist then. Please consider therapy. There's quite a bit of wls patients on this site that have sought therapy and are now thriving and overcame their food issues. Therapy is yet another tool just like weight loss surgery is that some patients need to be successful.

Best wishes.

Edited by BypassingMyPhatAss

2 hours ago, toodlerue said:

Wow! That’s crazy! I had a barium swallow done last week but I don’t know the results of it. Yesterday I had am EDG. They did these because I’m nauseous all the time and they want to look at my stomach.
The doctor mentioned yesterday that I might need a the one where they put that small thing through your nose and it goes down into your stomach and you have to drink when they get it down there to see if how you swallow is OK. That test was just awful! I think I’d rather have a colonoscopy🙃

I see your surgery was in 2018? Have you been nauseous all that time?

No I’d say it’s just been getting progressively worse for about six months. I actually puked in the Gastrologist office last week when she was talking to me!
but I did make it up to the garbage can in time. 🤦‍♀️

LOL, I know the feeling. I've been nauseous since the surgery, but I've found a way to cope with it--sort of, and pray that it is temporary...