Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

Before I begin if you are male you can exit the post.

Soooooo ladies I was sleeved 12/16 I began taking low birth control about a month before. Periods have been pretty normal until this month. I've literally been on my cycle for about a month now and my OBGYN doesn't seem concerned saying it's the birth control regulating......what from 5 months ago?!?!? So my aunt brought up that it could be the surgery so has anyone experienced anything like this before???? I'm just a little nervous because I've never experienced this before? sorry this is tmi but someone give me some online insight.... I've been to the Dr already

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

a lot of women have screwed up menstrual cycles for the first few months after surgery. Your hormones kind of go haywire with the rapid weight loss. It eventually stabilizes and you'll be back to normal. If it's been five months for you, you're likely near the end of it.

EDITED to add that this craziness usually starts pretty quickly after surgery - so I"m a little surprised yours started so late.

Edited by catwoman7

Estrogen gets stored in fat cells, so losing weight releases it, and losing a lot of weight dumps a lot of it into your system at once. Fun ensues. Having said that, mine started almost immediately, including me getting a cycle one month after surgery when I had been incredibly irregular prior. It's continued since - I'm more regular than I have been literally a decade.

I'm curious what the BCP is. Some of them can cause extended cycles or spotting, so you may want to investigate that. Between the pill side effects and the hormone dumps in your body, it might be taking some time to sort itself.

I had similar problem. Thinking surgery has something to do with it. I had super heavy 3 to 4 days then light 3 to 4 and it kept going round in circles. Took almost a month, but mine finally stopped and it's been about 8 days. I keep worrying it's gonna come back, but so far no. I have a mirena iud, so haven't had regular cycle in like 10 years so it was super scary to me. Saw my gyn couple days ago and she wasn't too worried. She said if it keeps going for 3 months then call her. One thing they did tell me was to try 3-4 advil every 6-8hrs. Said it helps contract the vessels. I only took it once, not sure if it helped but mine stopped shortly after. Hope that helps...

When I was 32 I lost 50 lbs in 6 months and I stopped ovulating. The actual reaction was one long weak bloody leak that never stopped. See your ob/Gyn to get to the heart of the matter. You may need a different or stronger birth control. I had thin inner walls that made intimacy uncomfortable without lots of lube. There’s all sorts of solutions for this, and yes it’s probably related to the weightloss, but there’s no need to suffer.