Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Net carbs and Starchy vegetable

Does anyone know when they say 15 carbs is it net carbs or actual carbs? I ask because I want to eat lentils and other foods that have a high normal carb let's say 15grams but then 25 grams of Fiber? Also what constitutes as starchy vegetables?

Thanks

potatoes are starchy

I'd ask your program, assuming you have nutrition support... post-surgery, my program didn't care about carbs. I lived off lentils and Beans early on.

Just now, Queen ApisM said:

I'd ask your program, assuming you have nutrition support... post-surgery, my program didn't care about carbs. I lived off lentils and Beans early on.

I agree. Check with your clinic, since not all programs limit carbs.

starchy vegetables: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, lima Beans, corn - those are all starchy

Starchy vegetables are generally those with higher carb content with lower fiber - potatoes, peas, corn, etc. Whereas something like broccoli has more fiber and fewer carbs per serving than a more starchy veggie. Generally, food labels and dietary information will always list TOTAL CARBS. Fiber is a carbohydrate, so it will always be counted there. NET CARBS is calculated as: total carbs - fiber - sugar alcohol = net carbs (thus in your example 15g of carbs, 25g of fiber would be impossible).

As others have said, if you have specific questions about how to incorporate them into your daily life, what impact they may have to your personal health, etc., its best to reach out to your program or with with a bariatric RD.

I eat starchy veggies like corn, potatoes and sweet potatoes, lots of Beans, butternut squash, etc. I didn't get to be fat because of those foods.

I try to avoid simple carbs like rice, Pasta, chocolate, chips, bread, etc.

I still try to mostly eat Protein first, then veggies, fruits, then when I have room left, I eat other things

Starchy vegetables are usually root vegetables (formed under the ground like potatoes, turnips, carrots, etc.) & vegetables that naturally taste sweet like green peas & corn.

My program didn’t set carb requirements either but I was told to avoid all high processed carbs & limit carbs to low or no processed fruit & vegetables (including legumes like lentils) for the fibre content. I was not allowed starchy vegetables. I was able to introduce nuts, seeds & whole or multi grain low processed carbs in maintenance (2 serves). Though I could have rolled oats from purée (instant during purée then traditional or cut oats after).

But definitely check with your dietician for clarification.