Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yes, you can eat out after surgery

So, I see a lot of people and nutritionists and surgeons saying you must cook all your food at home and restaurant meals are terrible etc. Well, sure, in an ideal world you would be a gourmet health cook and have an extra three hours a day for meal prep and exercise, but that's just not reality.

I travel 4-7 days a week for work, so I eat out almost every meal. I'm down 110 lbs total and 60 since surgery. Here are some suggestions for traveling/eating out:

1. Get a Protein Drink for Breakfast, like Core Power, which can be bought at drug stores, supermarkets, convenience stores, and even some airports. This gets you a good chunk of your Protein for not too many calories

2. Go to the grocery store when you can to buy things like deli meat, sugar free Greek yogurt, washed/chopped veggies and fruit, etc.

3. Watch those coffee drinks! I love me some Starbucks/Dunkin' but I limit it to just iced coffee with milk (2% if possible) and Splenda. No Syrup, whipped cream, sugar, etc. I actually find that coffee and hot tea help keep me full.

4. Protein first: I've heard from lots of bariatric people that even years after surgery, if they start with low fat protein, their restriction kicks in and they can't eat too much. I try to order a protein forward meal, like grilled fish or shrimp. Sometimes I eat other kinds of meat, but I find I can't eat as much and I am more likely to get hungry later

5. Fill up on veggies. I have been hungry since right after surgery, but even if you lost your hunger, it will come back. Then, eat veggies with your protein. The Fiber will keep you full. salad is hard for me, but I still eat it because it just tastes so darn good

6. Figure out what your go-to restaurant meals are. These are things that you can get easily, like at chain restaurants. I like Chipotle bowls (no rice, Beans, barbacoa, cheese, sour cream, and lettuce, with a bit of hot sauce), chili from just about anywhere, cheese burgers with no bun (I don't like the lettuce wraps; I just eat them with a fork and knife), etc. Ask for what you need. Want double veggies/no rice? Ask for it. You might get charged a dollar. If you feel like you will eat the carb if it's put on your plate, ask for them not to bring it. You're the customer. Be nice, but you're allowed to have the meal work for you. And tip well!

7. Don't try to be perfect. Just aim for doing a good job 80-90% of the time. I eat occasional sweets, but small amounts and not every day. The other day I ate a biscuit with JAM!!!

My doc told me the same thing. Don't eat out, cook at home. I think so I could control what goes in it?? How cute. I am alone, I work 40 hours a week, and do NOT feel like cooking and cleanup after. And often I get nauseous at smells, so the crock pot does not cut it. I do the best I can and right now, I am in a stall.....

1 hour ago, lizonaplane said:

The other day I ate a biscuit with JAM!!!

You rebel, you! LOL

Great post.

22 minutes ago, oldandtired said:

My doc told me the same thing. Don't eat out, cook at home. I think so I could control what goes in it?? How cute. I am alone, I work 40 hours a week, and do NOT feel like cooking and cleanup after. And often I get nauseous at smells, so the crock pot does not cut it. I do the best I can and right now, I am in a stall.....

Yes, you can't control what goes in your food when you eat in restaurants, but you can still GUESTIMATE your calories and track them in MyFitnessPal. No, it won't be as accurate as if you cook at home, but this has to be for the rest of our lives! It's not reasonable to expect us to never go out with friends, on dates, travel, etc.

Stalls are a b***h. Drink your Water, count calories so you know you're getting enough/not too much, and be patient!

I concur with @lizonaplane. You can eat out, if you do it smart.

1. If you know where you are going to be eating (i.e. a friend is having a birthday party at Restaurant X on Friday), then study the menu in advance. Find the right meal for you.

2. If you are just coming off surgery and don't have a ton of stomach space, order something ala carte. About a month after my surgery, my wife and I went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. I ordered a single scrambled egg and a small side dish of grits. Also, don't be afraid to order off the kids menu, especially if it is a restaurant that offers healthy kids options (like grilled chicken).

3. Always eat your Protein first, followed by veggies.

4. Again, lizonaplane is right: make the substitutions work for you. If they charge extra for it, Tim Ferriss says that you should consider those charges as your Six Pack Tax (the tax you willingly pay to develop a six pack).

We eat out lunch at least 5 days a week. I just make good choices.

I “eat out” (or take out) all the time…maybe 3-4 times a week (and almost always when its NOT my turn to cook, lol)

I don’t actually eat much (compared to others) when i do, and sometimes i wont even eat, i’ll just drink.

Im not losing any more weight, but im not gaining any either.

Yeah, same here Take out, delivery, eat out. All the above. Many fast food chains and restaurants have decent choices. If they don't, Portion Control ftw.

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app