Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am brand new here and i would like to do as im told ,my PCP put in a consult for me on wednesday , i went through pre screening procces and passed , is there anything you can reccomendwhile i go through this long proccesi would truly appreciate it

Some people like to try to start some of the things you will need to do post op now like making sure you get in 64 oz of Water, no water 30 minutes before or after food, Protein first (measure your protein your doctor will tell you how much you will need), eat much slower, and smaller bites. Also, it’s easier for some people if you wean yourself off caffeine, sugar and carbs before the pre op diet. Caffeine is depending of if you have to go off of it (doctors vary on this) a great deal. You don’t have to do any of this if you don’t want to and you have plenty of time to do it if you do but some like to and many have lost a pretty big chunk of weight while waiting on surgery that is just less you have to lose afterwards.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Welcome!

Definitely use the search function for some of the questions you have if people aren't responding right away; there's a ton of info, because we're many thousands who've been just where you are now.

You'll do great, get ready for a wild ride!

Welcome to the group!

Have you decided which surgery you're going to have?

Besides reading these forums, there's a lot of informative videos on YouTube that you might want to check out.

Someone asked me in this post what surgery will i be getting and honestly i have no idea as i mentioned my PCP put in the consult a few days ago thats about all i know at this point , i have a virtual interview April 1st. My wife as a matter of fact had gastric bypass 17 years ago and she tries to help me with what i could possibly be up against but it has been so long she does not want to mislead me or give me wrong information , anyway i am pretty scared because even though i have had both my hips replaced about 10 years ago i was told this surgery is more invasive i honestly do not know who to believe , i just know that i am uncomfortable in my clothes and if they fit they are extremely tight ( by the way i am 284 lbs and i am 5'7 } i am so obsessed with losing weight that i take all the weight loss pills and they do not work , i go on the cleanse juices, they do not work, i can not work out because i have a bad back, i am at my wits end it is so frustrating being heavy i am so self conscious of my weight i try on my clothes all the time, i apologize for rambling i am so tired of living like this , can anyone relate , thank you for listening , it helps.

Coop

You can do this. Your frustration with your current situation will propel you forward!

Your provider will take your medical history into account and suggest which surgery is best for you, or they might tell you any of them will work for you and let you choose. So for now just familiarize yourself with the surgeries available.

Whether or not weight loss surgery is more invasive than a hip transplant? I can't really say. I think most weight loss surgery nowadays are done robotically, so the recovery is easier because robotic surgery is more precise and there's less tissue disturbed, unlike open surgeries. Along with TAP blocks and other modern techniques, pain is much better managed now than probably even ten years ago.

And yes, I think all of us on this site can relate to you, it's the same reason we all began our journeys.

Best wishes to you!

Many of us feel exactly the way you do about our weights and that’s what landed us here. I think you will be just fine as soon as you get some information about what you are up against from the doctor as well as on this site. You do not have to know which surgery you want right yet. In fact I went through all the months of the medically supervised diet not knowing for certain which surgery I wanted (the surgeon did have a recommendation for me though and I ended up trusting his judgement but they allowed me the time to make up my mind). Ooh and maybe someone who has had both a hip transplant and WLS can respond but I don’t think WLS is more invasive. I was up walking (with a nurse) soon after I woke up from surgery (in recovery).

Edited by ShoppGirl