Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling kind of devastated…

Last week I had breast reduction and panniculectomy surgery, which all seems to have gone well. However… I was a 42H and my surgeon promised me a DD cup. I know that I can’t really see where I’m going to end up because it’s so soon, but I look like a B or C cup, and I think it looks ridiculous on my still heavy figure. (My daughter took one look and joked that I’ll need implants!) I have hated my breasts since the day they grew in looking down at my feet, and I was SO excited to have breasts I would finally feel good about. I primarily did it because of neck and back pain, but I just can’t believe how bad I look. Added to that, now that the belly is gone my thighs look hideously misshapen. They’re floppy. I’m just so depressed. I’m trying hard to not complain to others and to also accept what can’t be changed. But I just had to share with someone. I’m never going to look “normal.”

You are very early post op so don’t worry, yet.

The main focus at this stage is to watch for signs of infection, seroma, hematoma, embolism and to make sure your wounds heal properly.

Definitely have a conversation with your surgeon and ask him about your current cup size and what are the next steps if you want “more”.

BTW, Congratulations

6 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

You are very early post op so don’t worry, yet.

The main focus at this stage is to watch for signs of infection, seroma, hematoma, embolism and to make sure your wounds heal properly.

Definitely have a conversation with your surgeon and ask him about your current cup size and what are the next steps if you want “more”.

BTW, Congratulations

You are so very right! That’s where my head needs to be right now! Thanks for the reminder!

You probably have never had reason to wear one before but you would be amazed the difference a good push up bra will make. I got tiny implants many moons ago when I was thin and I still wore push up bras. Hopefully that will make enough of a difference but if it doesn’t then I would talk to the doctor and let him know you are unhappy for certain.

5 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

You probably have never had reason to wear one before but you would be amazed the difference a good push up bra will make. I got tiny implants many moons ago when I was thin and I still wore push up bras. Hopefully that will make enough of a difference but if it doesn’t then I would talk to the doctor and let him know you are unhappy for certain.

I’ll admit to being completely inexperienced when it comes to any kind of bra shopping that doesn’t involve searching for the largest size available! So now you have me kind of excited! Thank you!

I had my plastic surgeries (body ones, anyway - I had my face done later) three and four years ago. Things change as time goes on - my breasts, especially, look different than they did right after surgery. They dropped and look a lot more natural now. I was shocked after surgery - but now they look great and I'm so glad I did this.

you need to give it a lot more time because they're going to look a lot different six months from now than they do now. If you're still unhappy with them at that point, they can do implants. But you may be surprised and turn out to be really happy with them...

(P.S. of course, your thighs won't change since there was no surgery on them. I never had mine done because mine were never that bad, but still, they have a little hanging skin on them whereas I don't have that anywhere else - so I suppose it looks weird - but I'm in my 60s so my mini skirt and short shorts days are long behind me. If it mattered, I'd have those done, too.

Edited by catwoman7

On 3/8/2022 at 8:24 AM, catwoman7 said:

I had my plastic surgeries (body ones, anyway - I had my face done later) three and four years ago. Things change as time goes on - my breasts, especially, look different than they did right after surgery. They dropped and look a lot more natural now. I was shocked after surgery - but now they look great and I'm so glad I did this.

you need to give it a lot more time because they're going to look a lot different six months from now than they do now. If you're still unhappy with them at that point, they can do implants. But you may be surprised and turn out to be really happy with them...

(P.S. of course, your thighs won't change since there was no surgery on them. I never had mine done because mine were never that bad, but still, they have a little hanging skin on them whereas I don't have that anywhere else - so I suppose it looks weird - but I'm in my 60s so my mini skirt and short shorts days are long behind me. If it mattered, I'd have those done, too.

Thanks for the reassurance. I know I just have to give it time. I can’t even stand up straight yet because of the panniculectomy, so it’s hard to tell. I did a bra fitting, though, and came in at barely a C, while still swollen. My body shape has changed so drastically, from a lifelong hourglass shape to something that looks like R2D2. I feel like I want to hide when I go out. I imagine this is how women feel after mastectomies, and I’m ashamed to liken my experience to the terror they must go through. However, there are support groups for that! I chose this!! I’m trying to adjust to the new normal, but it’s going to take a long time. I said before surgery that it’s one thing to look bad, but it’s another to look weird. I wasintending to not tell people I had this done because I thought at a DD I’d just look like I lost weight. Every single person I have ever met is going to know instantly that I did this. I just want to crawl into a bag. BTW, I’m in my 60s, too! I should just let it go!

4 hours ago, Toesinthewater said:

I just had PS (tummy tuck) and the most valuable thing my surgeon said was to expect some level of depression/regret and most importantly to be patient. It's takes months to fully recover and see the final results. Hang in there.

Thank you!

I was just thinking. I have a larger bust as well. I looked into reduction but part of mine is an implant from when I was thin and had much smaller boobs so the doctor said to take enough tissue out for insurance to cover it that I would not be happy with the size. Anyways, I remember thinking that my breasts were huge post implant surgery and after a while I started wearing push up bras because I still wanted them to look bigger. I bet after some time and the initial shock wears off you will be happier (at least a little).

14 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I was just thinking. I have a larger bust as well. I looked into reduction but part of mine is an implant from when I was thin and had much smaller boobs so the doctor said to take enough tissue out for insurance to cover it that I would not be happy with the size. Anyways, I remember thinking that my breasts were huge post implant surgery and after a while I started wearing push up bras because I still wanted them to look bigger. I bet after some time and the initial shock wears off you will be happier (at least a little).

So, are you saying yours looked smaller after your breasts calmed down from the surgery? I’m really afraid of that!

24 minutes ago, Writergirl said:

So, are you saying yours looked smaller after your breasts calmed down from the surgery? I’m really afraid of that!

No. I thought they were too big from the day of surgery. And after they healed And I got used to them they were the same size but they looked okay with my body. Enough that I eventually even went to push up bras. I think it was just the initial shock from the change that took some time for me to get used to. To my mom and my best friend who were very interested cause they wanted implants too, they looked the same, but to me they looked huge at first.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I am 4 weeks today from my breast reduction and panniculectomy surgery after a 105 weight loss and maintenance for more than a year. coming up on 62 y/o. Surgeon removed 6+ lbs.

I was a DDD and told my surgeon I wanted to go as small as possible without increasing any risk. He thought a large B or small C. My focus was on my quality of life 5-10-15-20 yrs from now. I could feel the difference in my neck and back within just a few days.

I have not shared w many that I was doing this. vast majority don't know what I had to do to manage the excess skin and boobs. don't expect most to really even notice. but if they do, they do. what is important is how I feel and I feel great!

I am grateful for each step of this journey and thankful for the improved quality of life it has given me.

On 3/14/2022 at 7:56 PM, MSStoney said:

I am 4 weeks today from my breast reduction and panniculectomy surgery after a 105 weight loss and maintenance for more than a year. coming up on 62 y/o. Surgeon removed 6+ lbs.

I was a DDD and told my surgeon I wanted to go as small as possible without increasing any risk. He thought a large B or small C. My focus was on my quality of life 5-10-15-20 yrs from now. I could feel the difference in my neck and back within just a few days.

I have not shared w many that I was doing this. vast majority don't know what I had to do to manage the excess skin and boobs. don't expect most to really even notice. but if they do, they do. what is important is how I feel and I feel great!

I am grateful for each step of this journey and thankful for the improved quality of life it has given me.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think you’re a lot smaller than me, so a smaller bust would look more appropriate. I would love to hear about your recovery. The breast recovery has been very easy physically. The panniculectomy is absolutely miserable. At what points did you stop draining and could walk standing straight?

On 3/20/2022 at 8:17 AM, Writergirl said:

Thanks for your thoughts. I think you’re a lot smaller than me, so a smaller bust would look more appropriate. I would love to hear about your recovery. The breast recovery has been very easy physically. The panniculectomy is absolutely miserable. At what points did you stop draining and could walk standing straight?

So how are you doing? It's been almost a month since your first post. Are you liking your look any better? Are you still in a lot of pain?