Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you start eating fruits? (Carbs content)



Recommended Posts

On 1/23/2022 at 7:06 PM, ms.sss said:

I went ultra-low carb (20g net carbs a day), but I’m not vegetarian so it would’ve been easier for me.

This was not my prescribed program, i chose to do this on my own (and fully disclosed it to my NUT).

I didn’t eat any fruit during weight loss phase save for the occasional berry (least amount of sugar in the fruit family). But i do now at 3+ years post op.

You can try google-ing Vegetarian Keto for some food/recipe ideas, but i think that so soon after surgery you may not reach your bariatric Protein requirements and stay below your maintenance calories to be true Keto. So maybe a modified version of it?

I usually can have some fruits per day. And fruits and veggies are great with Fiber, helps relieve constipation. So no issue there. I was just curious how everyone did their thing.

And yeh I am aware of your ultra low carb intake, we had this discussion on another thread. Just not sure how you did it 😂 I mean how did you manage to get your Protein in 400 to 500 calories? Mostly Protein Shakes?

I can't do Keto. I remember trying it few years before surgery, but I ahve hard time limiting carbs. As in I can't eliminate fruits completely from my diet for a true blue Keto diet (under 20 grams). I don't find Keto as sustainable for me personally. Hence I opted for surgery since it doesn't ask you to restrict any food group per se!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2022 at 11:18 AM, canadianpopcycle said:

Hello!

My program has been getting patients up to/over 1200 cals asap. I have been on solid foods since week 4. My program focuses more on texture, and what to have more often vs less often (ie Protein vs say candy).

I have grapes usually everyday, and a small banana. My carbs per day is between 120-150 usually, with 80-107g of Protein.< br />
Weight loss is slower now, as I am at 10 months post op...but I have lost 120 lbs thus far, with that amount of carbs and calories pretty much the entire time. I eat potatoes, Pasta and rice, and bread....just significantly less and less often than I used to.

Hope that helps!

Congrats on the weight loss 👏🏼

My program sounds quite similar to yours - As in we can have almost anything we can tolerate including rice, Pasta, bread etc. I just don't eat them much right now. May incorporate them later on. We just don't have much focus on calories. Focus is more on serving sizes and protein/fluid intake. Don't have any numbers for carbs or fat intake either.

Only thing is how did you manage to eat 1200 calories post week 4? I am almost week 9 but I still can't manage to eat more than 750-850 calorie range. Either that or I need to figure out how to incorporate foods high in calories 😂

Only calorie rich food group in my diet would be cheeses I suppose. But I also don't wanna overshoot fat intake. How was your fat intake first few months?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/27/2022 at 7:57 AM, DaisyAndSunshine said:

Congrats on the weight loss 👏🏼

My program sounds quite similar to yours - As in we can have almost anything we can tolerate including rice, Pasta, bread etc. I just don't eat them much right now. May incorporate them later on. We just don't have much focus on calories. Focus is more on serving sizes and protein/fluid intake. Don't have any numbers for carbs or fat intake either.

Only thing is how did you manage to eat 1200 calories post week 4? I am almost week 9 but I still can't manage to eat more than 750-850 calorie range. Either that or I need to figure out how to incorporate foods high in calories 😂

Only calorie rich food group in my diet would be cheeses I suppose. But I also don't wanna overshoot fat intake. How was your fat intake first few months?

Thanks so much!!

I gave up coffee, and I didn't even really intend to. I start my day now with an earl grey latte, so the 1 cup of milk in that is an auto 110 calories...so that probably helps getting to 1200 lol.

Here is a sample day from 2 months after surgery. It was about 1125 calories:

1) Decaf Earl Grey Latte with 1% milk, sugar free Syrup = 110 calories

2) Peanut Butter Oatmeal: 1/3 cup quick oats, 2/3 cup Fairlife Milk, 15g of Powdered Peanut butter, 1/2 scoop unflvaoured Protein Powder, 4g brown sugar = 312 Calories

3) Whole Grain Pita, 2 tbsp Hummus, 2.5 oz chicken = 291 Calories

4) 1/2 cup Rice, Slow Cooker Jambalaya = 308 calories

5) Apple = 95 Calories

This day was 80g Protein, 150 carbs, 23g fat

One thing that bothered me for quite awhile was bread. It would go down fine and such but it sat weird in my stomach and I always felt burpy/gassy after. I didn't have the problem with the pita, likely because it's not nearly as dense/fluffy etc as bread.

I have a sensitivity to oils/fats even before surgery. I have had 2 things since surgery that I will never have again, because the bathroom issues after was AWFUL lol. I had a beyond sausage that shot through me...and at Christmas I had a meatball...not all beef....but thought it might be okay. It was not lol. To be fair though, those would have probably ruined me before surgery too.

I hope that helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to my surgeon, I was allowed to eat fruits from the beginning but avoid the skins till month 3 or when easily tolerated. The first couple of months, I ate green apple sauce and smoothies with blended fruit.< br>
Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, canadianpopcycle said:

3) Whole Grain Pita, 2 tbsp Hummus, 2.5 oz chicken = 291 Calories

4) 1/2 cup Rice, Slow Cooker Jambalaya = 308 calories

Ahhh Pita and rice may work up the calories. I have been avoiding grains cuz they seem too heavy. But now that I am almost done with month 2, I may give it a shot.

BTW, brown rice or white rice?

Can't do chicken and all cuz vegetarian but would love a falafel in a pita (ofc bariatric version of falafel) 😂

Your carb content isn't almost double your Protein. So seems like I shouldn't be worried getting more carbs in. With Beans and lentils, carbs do overshoot, but without them there won't be much variation in my diet.

My fats are around similar number, usually less than 30gram.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m 7monthsout still can’t eat salads as I don’t tolerate them very well but just was able to eat banana with Peanut Butter on them before I was adding bananas to my Protein Shake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

On 1/23/2022 at 6:31 AM, DaisyAndSunshine said:

how did y'all carry your carbs during the weight loss phase?

Didn't give a flying f' about carbs or not. I only tracked Protein and calories. No need for Keto, trust me, I'm living proof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2022 at 3:03 PM, DaisyAndSunshine said:

Ahhh Pita and rice may work up the calories. I have been avoiding grains cuz they seem too heavy. But now that I am almost done with month 2, I may give it a shot.

BTW, brown rice or white rice?

Can't do chicken and all cuz vegetarian but would love a falafel in a pita (ofc bariatric version of falafel) 😂

Your carb content isn't almost double your Protein. So seems like I shouldn't be worried getting more carbs in. With Beans and lentils, carbs do overshoot, but without them there won't be much variation in my diet.

My fats are around similar number, usually less than 30gram.

I usually use brown...but every now and again it's white, depends on the dish :)

You could also slap some re fried Beans and avocado on a pita...that would be delish!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, canadianpopcycle said:

I usually use brown...but every now and again it's white, depends on the dish :)

You could also slap some re fried Beans and avocado on a pita...that would be delish!

Currently at my stage, I use refried bean for a taco bowl of a type - Refried Beans with some taco spice, cheese, salsa and skyr yogurt (which replaces sour cream and is high in protein). My favorite meal of the day 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

Didn't give a flying f' about carbs or not. I only tracked Protein and calories. No need for Keto, trust me, I'm living proof.

Yeh I personally can't do Keto even if I try 😂

I talked about it above. I had tried Keto in the past and it makes me miserable having to limit carbs. Keto expects you to restrict even good carbs like fruits and complex grains, which isn't sustainable in a long run. Not to mention heavy load of fat content in the diet, which truly freaks me out even when I did Keto. Hence here I am with the surgery since weight loss journey has to be sustainable otherwise the cycle of yo yo dieting continues.

I feel Keto can be good for the weight loss but not sure if it's sustainable for a lifelong commitment. Plus Keto is usually combined with intermittent fasting, which again isn't sustainable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • ChristinaA424

      Hey everyone!  It has been a while since I was on here.  I had a lap-band placed in 2014 but now I would like it revised to a gastric sleeve.  There are no drs here in Tallahassee (Florida) that do that and I need to go the self-pay route (my insurance will not cover it!)  Any recommendations on nearby doctors that do self-pay revision surgeries?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • summerset

      Going in tomorrow. Will be back sometime next week.
      · 1 reply
      1. GreenTealael

        Safe Surgery! See you on the flat side ❤️

    • summerset

      Going in on Tuesday. Things are arranged (need to order a cab to the station because it's too early for a bus going there) and I'm getting more nervous by the hour.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Debbie Nichols

      No plans for surgery 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • amazingmimi

      I feel like I've finally gotten past the biggest hurdle. Surgery date is September 6th, the day after Labor Day, and yesterday I got my insurance approval letter. I've followed everything they've told me to do, and I've even lost 30 lbs on my own since hubby had to change his diet for diabetes. No worries now about having to do 4 weeks of the liver shrinking diet instead of 2. On my initial visit, if I had gained just 5lbs I would have had to do 4 weeks. It's getting closer. Just 2 more months to wait.
      · 1 reply
      1. NmMd

        Although the prep work took energy, I found the biggest hurdle was post-operative. The first 48 hrs were extremely uncomfortable. I did an overnight and trying to down the liquids, Tylenol, and especially the barium was rough. Thankfully though, I got away with only having to have 1 belly injection after surgery. Needless are not my thing.

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×