Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2022 Surgery Buddies



Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, noladawn said:

I have Ankylosing Spondylitis, we take a lot of the same meds as PA peeps. I’m curious as to what they’ve had you stop taking. My meds have all been okayed.

Taltz. So, originally they estimated my surgery to happen in Nov/Dec. They wanted me off of it for 2 months beforehand, since it effects my immune system, therefore effects healing. However, I was struggling to get over a virus, so I went off of it slightly early - in August. Then they said they weren't sure if they surgery would be before or after they holidays, because the hospital closed over a nursing shortage. When they called to schedule it... It was 2 months out, I'm assuming because of all of the rescheduling they had to do. So, I'm not supposed to start it back up until 2 months after the surgery, once healed up. But my skin is a mess, my scalp is peeling and hurting so badly, among other sensitive areas. I'm getting joint and nerve issues. I just never expected to be off of it this long. They said I might not need to go back on it after, but I can't see that happening. These issues were around when I was skinny, I have had it since I was 12, though not diagnosed until around 21. Sorry for the novel. 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 01/15/2022 at 19:51, Hot Mess Bypass said:






Taltz. So, originally they estimated my surgery to happen in Nov/Dec. They wanted me off of it for 2 months beforehand, since it effects my immune system, therefore effects healing. However, I was struggling to get over a virus, so I went off of it slightly early - in August. Then they said they weren't sure if they surgery would be before or after they holidays, because the hospital closed over a nursing shortage. When they called to schedule it... It was 2 months out, I'm assuming because of all of the rescheduling they had to do. So, I'm not supposed to start it back up until 2 months after the surgery, once healed up. But my skin is a mess, my scalp is peeling and hurting so badly, among other sensitive areas. I'm getting joint and nerve issues. I just never expected to be off of it this long. They said I might not need to go back on it after, but I can't see that happening. These issues were around when I was skinny, I have had it since I was 12, though not diagnosed until around 21. Sorry for the novel. 😬


Ugh. I’m sorry. I hope they stick to your new date. I’m on Remicade and they scheduled the surgery exactly in the middle of my infusions so they said it shouldn’t be a problem. 🤞
Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI Everyone - I'm scheduled for Gastric Bypass in Mexico on Feb 26th. Start my liquid diet Feb 16th.

Anyone else going to Tijuana?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, noladawn said:

Ugh. I’m sorry. I hope they stick to your new date. I’m on Remicade and they scheduled the surgery exactly in the middle of my infusions so they said it shouldn’t be a problem. 🤞
Good luck!

I'm glad they were able to do that for you! Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, my surgery is scheduled for February 16th. The only thing I nervous about right now is the clear liquid post-op for 2wks. Any hints on how to get through it while everyone else is eating around you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello!
Long time lurker, first reply. I’m going to be sleeved on 2/28. I had my EGD this week, small hernia found that will need to be fixed. I have a few more preop appointments next week. I started adapting to my new lifestyle months ago so slowly, so I’m ready, I started at 330 in July. I’m at 303 today. I don’t know how to put my finger on it but all my attempts at weight loss did not feel like this. I think I’m just over all the limitations I have. I have advanced osteoarthritis and I’m just sick of not being able to get around. I’m in Atlanta Georgia.
love this forum it has helped me tremendously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Plumms said:

Hi, my surgery is scheduled for February 16th. The only thing I nervous about right now is the clear liquid post-op for 2wks. Any hints on how to get through it while everyone else is eating around you.

What had helped me is staying within my Protein requirements, I do have a great support system. Plus it has helped me when I plan to have foods on hand that I can eat and not just pick at what’s available. If I’m satisfied, then the bad food around me doesn’t bother me. Or I just remove myself from where the food is, lol It will take some time before you build up resistance, so don’t be too hard on yourself if you give in a little, it’s going to take time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/11/2022 at 7:01 PM, jensgettinghealthy said:

I am 2/1! I am in Cincinnati and nervous and excited. I got my date today!!

I'm 2/4 in Cincinnati too! Do you want to exchange numbers or FB information so we can be local support? I would love that! I'm getting mine done at UC West Chester

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all! My original date was for 1/24, but due to Covid protocols, I was moved to 02/21! I am ready (I think haha). I think the extra time has been good for me to make some changes and mentally prepare more a bit. My surgery will be in St. Louis, MO!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m getting sleeved on 2/17!!! I start my liquid diet on 2/7. This whole time I was so worried about gaining weight and my insurance would deny me. I told my surgeon that today and he told me my insurance doesn’t require that I not gain weight. But luckily I still weighed in at the same amount I was during my consult in June 2021. I’m getting my procedure done at VHC in Virginia and I have Aetna better health (Medicaid).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not have my date yet, but I expect it will be late February. I did my cardio clearance today and I am pretty optimistic I did ok. I didn’t pass out or fall off the bike (lol) . I’ve done the sleep study and most of the blood work. Will do the rest and my chest x ray when I get a definitive date. I’m in Fort Worth Texas if anyone is looking for local support .I’m using Dr Adam Smith at Ultimate Bariatrics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Luis E. Lara

      Hi everyone, I'm nerw here ☺️
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

        Welcome!

        I've been a member since 2008, but just now decided to go ahead with surgery. Barely getting started 😁

    • Liz R

      Trying to update my ticker - I'm down 100 pounds!! 
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

        I don't know how to update the ticker, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!

    • Alisa_S

      I joined BariatricPal in 2008 & I FINALLY made the descision to have WLS!! I'm so excited & not sure what I need to do to get the ball rolling, but I made an appointment with my PCP for 7/19. It's a start I guess.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Elnaz

      Losing weight is my dream
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

        I've been dreaming about it for 30 years or so. It's time to make it happen!

    • OhMyGawdItzKla

      I joined yesterday when I was struggling with this preop diet... 
      It typically comes and goes, the hard times and easier times. I'm on day 6 of 14  shakes, water, sf Popsicles and jello. And I might actually be losing my mind. But, oh dear lord has the fear set in. Not about the surgery itself, but life afterwards. If I feel this crappy on the preop diet, am I going to feel like this forever after? 
      I know most of the answers are no, not forever. It might be worse after for a while, then get better. I know it's a more of a mental challenge than physical after the first couple weeks of healing. I get all of that. But I'm starting to feel scared about losing myself afterwards. 
      It might be my hormones or desire to chew something salty talking.. It may go away soon or tomorrow.. I can hope, anyway. But right now.. The fear is real. 
       
      And this liquid diet can bite me. 
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

        Fear is normal, but if it makes you feel any better, I'm 4.5 months post-op and the pre-op diet was by far the hardest part of the whole process. There will be challenges and a lot of new things to learn, but I can honestly say at this point I feel so much more "back to normal" and was even able to go on a week-long vacation with my kids without stressing over it. It's so worthwhile.

      2. OhMyGawdItzKla

        @NickelChip This actually does make me feel better! Thank you so much! After the onslaught of Covid, we've all had to deal with a "new normal", so I know it's possible. It's just the fear and frustration in this moment that makes me question if I can find another "new normal" afterwards. The thought of just a few more months seems daunting some times, but I really do appreciate input and real experience. I'll use that to get me through for a few more hours! LOL. Thank you so much! And I'm glad everything is going so well for you! ❤️

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×