Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2022 Surgery Buddies

3 hours ago, noladawn said:

I have Ankylosing Spondylitis, we take a lot of the same meds as PA peeps. I’m curious as to what they’ve had you stop taking. My meds have all been okayed.

Taltz. So, originally they estimated my surgery to happen in Nov/Dec. They wanted me off of it for 2 months beforehand, since it effects my immune system, therefore effects healing. However, I was struggling to get over a virus, so I went off of it slightly early - in August. Then they said they weren't sure if they surgery would be before or after they holidays, because the hospital closed over a nursing shortage. When they called to schedule it... It was 2 months out, I'm assuming because of all of the rescheduling they had to do. So, I'm not supposed to start it back up until 2 months after the surgery, once healed up. But my skin is a mess, my scalp is peeling and hurting so badly, among other sensitive areas. I'm getting joint and nerve issues. I just never expected to be off of it this long. They said I might not need to go back on it after, but I can't see that happening. These issues were around when I was skinny, I have had it since I was 12, though not diagnosed until around 21. Sorry for the novel. 😬

On 01/15/2022 at 19:51, Hot Mess Bypass said:

Taltz. So, originally they estimated my surgery to happen in Nov/Dec. They wanted me off of it for 2 months beforehand, since it effects my immune system, therefore effects healing. However, I was struggling to get over a virus, so I went off of it slightly early - in August. Then they said they weren't sure if they surgery would be before or after they holidays, because the hospital closed over a nursing shortage. When they called to schedule it... It was 2 months out, I'm assuming because of all of the rescheduling they had to do. So, I'm not supposed to start it back up until 2 months after the surgery, once healed up. But my skin is a mess, my scalp is peeling and hurting so badly, among other sensitive areas. I'm getting joint and nerve issues. I just never expected to be off of it this long. They said I might not need to go back on it after, but I can't see that happening. These issues were around when I was skinny, I have had it since I was 12, though not diagnosed until around 21. Sorry for the novel. 😬

Ugh. I’m sorry. I hope they stick to your new date. I’m on Remicade and they scheduled the surgery exactly in the middle of my infusions so they said it shouldn’t be a problem. 🤞
Good luck!

HI Everyone - I'm scheduled for Gastric Bypass in Mexico on Feb 26th. Start my liquid diet Feb 16th.

Anyone else going to Tijuana?

23 hours ago, noladawn said:

Ugh. I’m sorry. I hope they stick to your new date. I’m on Remicade and they scheduled the surgery exactly in the middle of my infusions so they said it shouldn’t be a problem. 🤞
Good luck!

I'm glad they were able to do that for you! Thank you!

Hi, my surgery is scheduled for February 16th. The only thing I nervous about right now is the clear liquid post-op for 2wks. Any hints on how to get through it while everyone else is eating around you.

Hello!
Long time lurker, first reply. I’m going to be sleeved on 2/28. I had my EGD this week, small hernia found that will need to be fixed. I have a few more preop appointments next week. I started adapting to my new lifestyle months ago so slowly, so I’m ready, I started at 330 in July. I’m at 303 today. I don’t know how to put my finger on it but all my attempts at weight loss did not feel like this. I think I’m just over all the limitations I have. I have advanced osteoarthritis and I’m just sick of not being able to get around. I’m in Atlanta Georgia.
love this forum it has helped me tremendously.

1 hour ago, Plumms said:

Hi, my surgery is scheduled for February 16th. The only thing I nervous about right now is the clear liquid post-op for 2wks. Any hints on how to get through it while everyone else is eating around you.

What had helped me is staying within my Protein requirements, I do have a great support system. Plus it has helped me when I plan to have foods on hand that I can eat and not just pick at what’s available. If I’m satisfied, then the bad food around me doesn’t bother me. Or I just remove myself from where the food is, lol It will take some time before you build up resistance, so don’t be too hard on yourself if you give in a little, it’s going to take time.

On 1/11/2022 at 7:01 PM, jensgettinghealthy said:

I am 2/1! I am in Cincinnati and nervous and excited. I got my date today!!

I'm 2/4 in Cincinnati too! Do you want to exchange numbers or FB information so we can be local support? I would love that! I'm getting mine done at UC West Chester

Hey all! My original date was for 1/24, but due to Covid protocols, I was moved to 02/21! I am ready (I think haha). I think the extra time has been good for me to make some changes and mentally prepare more a bit. My surgery will be in St. Louis, MO!

I’m getting sleeved on 2/17!!! I start my liquid diet on 2/7. This whole time I was so worried about gaining weight and my insurance would deny me. I told my surgeon that today and he told me my insurance doesn’t require that I not gain weight. But luckily I still weighed in at the same amount I was during my consult in June 2021. I’m getting my procedure done at VHC in Virginia and I have Aetna better health (Medicaid).

I do not have my date yet, but I expect it will be late February. I did my cardio clearance today and I am pretty optimistic I did ok. I didn’t pass out or fall off the bike (lol) . I’ve done the sleep study and most of the blood work. Will do the rest and my chest x ray when I get a definitive date. I’m in Fort Worth Texas if anyone is looking for local support .I’m using Dr Adam Smith at Ultimate Bariatrics.