Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feb 2022 Surgery date, new here



Recommended Posts

Hi all! I have to tell you how much I appreciate the information shared on here, food, what to expect, advice… everything. It’s very helpful.

I met with my Dr first back in August (2021) completed all the paperwork and pre surgical appointments, and his office called just before Christmas to tell me that pending covid, and completion of a few final requirements, my VSG surgery will be Feb 2, 2022.

I started down this path because a routine test found that my liver was excessively enlarged, enough my PCP asked me to consider the idea of WLS, because he was concerned. (He’s been my Dr for 40+ yrs and surgery as a solution is not his normal philosophy … so I paid attention when he suggested it). Consulted with my Endo and he was on board so here we are.

I won’t pretend surgery doesn’t scare me … it does. A lot. Fear of dying on the table or from a complication after. Fear of failing and waisting the money. Fear of nausea - I don’t do well with nausea at all. Stories of gas pain have kinda freaked me out a little if I’m completely honest.

My highest weight was 382 and on my 5’4” body that was scaring me more than surgery, along with the news my liver was so enlarged. After my car accident (over 5 yrs ago) my mobility has been limited and that made putting 50 pounds on what had up until then been my highest of 330 way to easy. Since June of 2021 I was doing pretty well having lost 54 pounds (down to 328), but then between Thanksgiving and New Years I am back up to 340.

Now I’m worried what if I can’t do this? I know I ate things I shouldn’t have - maybe in part because I know or feared I soon won’t be able to do that any more. But I also know that’s no excuse. What I’ve learned from these posts is you need to commit because it’s a lifestyle not a diet.

Did you have fears or concerns about your surgery before having it? If so, how did you handle, manage or overcome them?

Any advice you can give me at all would be appreciated. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome, and congratulations on starting this process .

We all are a little scared (or very scared) of dying on the table. But death and severe complications are very rare.

It's common to gain weight before the two week pre-op diet; it's called "food funerals". Plus, you were dealing with the holidays! I will say that after surgery, it's way too easy to eat "slider" foods like chips and sweets, even when you're too full for Protein.

Do you think your mobility will be restored after losing weight? If not, you might try to find some sorts of exercises that work with your limitations because exercising is good for keeping the weight off long term. You could work with a physical trainer to get some ideas that are designed for your body.

Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your encouragement. I can walk and do stairs, physically get around, but have intense muscle spasms, so that can limit my stamina - especially after I over do it - which happens a lot, especially around the holidays. I feel how gain negatively impacts me, so I’m hoping loss will offer some improvement.

I do well in Water and have both “active” and sedentary exercises I am working with … which I admit I was not great at keeping up with during the holidays. I try to modify my exercise during flair ups, so even on bad days I’m still doing something.

I’m pretty good when I can keep things structured, but when my routine gets interrupted, I struggle. From June to Nov I did pretty well, so I’m hoping I can get back to that and loose at least what I’ve gained before my surgery date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think we all were at the very least a little scared of possible complications going into surgery. What helped me was learning that statistically you are more likely to die in a car accident than from this surgery. I just thought to myself, the fear of a possible complication of driving (a tragic accident) doesn’t keep me from driving so why would that same fear keep me from having a surgery that I need? That rationalization sort of calmed my fears. I was definitely worried about failure too. I am almost 9 months out and I am 9 pounds from goal and I am sorry to admit I am still afraid. Afraid that I will gain it all back and now everyone knows I had surgery and will think I am even more of a failure. I am not sure how to talk myself out of that one. Only that other people keep it off and I know in my heart that I am trying my best so hopefully it will be okay. I think having done the yo yo dieting for sooooooo many years we will always be at least a little afraid of gaining it back. Also, I had many food funerals. People even refer to their dinner before pre op diet as their last supper. Many of us have a complicated relationship with food and the thought of having it taken away is a scary thing. But I was afraid of that for no reason. I have tried small amounts of everything I ate prior to surgery without any issues so once I get to my goal weight I know that I can have everything in moderation again. Some people do have foods they can’t tolerate post surgery but most people say they also no longer crave them so it’s not like they really miss them anymore. More like they just no longer enjoy those foods.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 01/03/2022 at 15:28, ShoppGirl said:



I think we all were at the very least a little scared of possible complications going into surgery. What helped me was learning that statistically you are more likely to die in a car accident than from this surgery. I just thought to myself, the fear of a possible complication of driving (a tragic accident) doesn’t keep me from driving so why would that same fear keep me from having a surgery that I need? That rationalization sort of calmed my fears. I was definitely worried about failure too. I am almost 9 months out and I am 9 pounds from goal and I am sorry to admit I am still afraid. Afraid that I will gain it all back and now everyone knows I had surgery and will think I am even more of a failure. I am not sure how to talk myself out of that one. Only that other people keep it off and I know in my heart that I am trying my best so hopefully it will be okay. I think having done the yo yo dieting for sooooooo many years we will always be at least a little afraid of gaining it back. Also, I had many food funerals. People even refer to their dinner before pre op diet as their last supper. Many of us have a complicated relationship with food and the thought of having it taken away is a scary thing. But I was afraid of that for no reason. I have tried small amounts of everything I ate prior to surgery without any issues so once I get to my goal weight I know that I can have everything in moderation again. Some people do have foods they can’t tolerate post surgery but most people say they also no longer crave them so it’s not like they really miss them anymore. More like they just no longer enjoy those foods.


Thank you… my rational brain understands the statistics, I’m hoping over the next 29 days my fears will fall to the positive experiences, advice and encouragement that this board offers.

It very much helps seeing the real experiences, good and bad, on here as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there! I'll be following right behind you on Feb 3rd, 2022. I think now it's finally hitting that I'll be undergoing a surgical operation with all the risks involved, and the fear and anxiety are a lot. My good friend had a very serious illness and had numerous surgeries, so she's been an inspiration.

My mindset is that once this surgery is done, I'll be in the best position possible to make the changes I need to be healthy and active again. But it's up to me to make good choices and to not beat myself up when I don't.

Good luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 01/03/2022 at 16:57, SoCalEm said:



Hi there! I'll be following right behind you on Feb 3rd, 2022. I think now it's finally hitting that I'll be undergoing a surgical operation with all the risks involved, and the fear and anxiety are a lot. My good friend had a very serious illness and had numerous surgeries, so she's been an inspiration.




My mindset is that once this surgery is done, I'll be in the best position possible to make the changes I need to be healthy and active again. But it's up to me to make good choices and to not beat myself up when I don't.




Good luck!!


Thank you! That’s a wonderful way to look at it, I will try that.

Good luck on your surgery and I’ll look forward to keeping up with how you are doing as we recover! Not to compare, but hopefully to encourage each other!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, LookingForward22 said:

Thank you! That’s a wonderful way to look at it, I will try that.

Good luck on your surgery and I’ll look forward to keeping up with how you are doing as we recover! Not to compare, but hopefully to encourage each other!

Thanks, and good luck to you also! Absolutely, let's keep tabs and check in. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw your post and just wanted to share that I can relate! I am scheduled for February 3, and I have been so excited. I have loved all of the “getting ready” tasks, as I felt like I was taking control. But as the surgery date gets closer, I am getting anxious. I had emergency abdominal surgery four years ago that led to a two week hospital stay and three month recovery. I keep thinking about that time period, and it really makes me nervous. I am talking to a therapist, and that is definitely helping. So, I don’t have advice for you, but I wanted to share that I definitely understand the worry!

Over the past few days, I have gone back to “getting ready”. I set up my journal for meal planning, weight loss tracking, measurement tracking, goals, etc. I have started ordering supplies, such as toddler plates, little forks, small containers, etc. I am about to get sample packets of the various Protein Shakes my doctor recommends so I will know what I like. All of this is reminding me that I am making a choice to take action to improve my health, and that puts my mind at ease.

Edited by MimmyMim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • HaseenS

      Has anyone had problems with the bariatric miltivitamin? I am struggling to get them down. If they don't make me throw up, they make me feel sick to my stomach!! Does anyone do something different when it comes to vitamins?
      · 1 reply
      1. Mo'Nique

        Vitamin patches work wonderful. They are some what expensive but the only thing I can use

    • Kris10_78

      Any tips on what I should have on hand the first week post op? 
      2 days away!!!!!
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Kaguragetshealthy_87

      What I've learned this last 2 weeks is consistent. That's I've been able to lose a pound here and there. This morning sucked it was 48 degrees but I am working on being consistent and sticking to it. Am perfectly sticking to it? Hell no but I'm working my ass off!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • newsam1154

      A bit frustrated with my surgeon's office currently. Feeling like they are leaving everyone in the dark about when surgeries will start again. Told one thing, then told to do another. GRRR! I just want to be scheduled already! 😫🤬
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Meganator

      I'm losing more than weight. Ran labs to prep for my annual exam and since my pre-op labs in September (sleeved 10/13), I've lost:
      39pts off my Total Cholesterol including... 29pts off LDL 33pts off Triglycerides 18pts off fasting glucose & almost normal range A1C is lower on low end of "pre-diabetic" range My surgeon does labs at 6 months, so this is cool info to have in the meantime!
      · 1 reply
      1. Kaguragetshealthy_87

        Good for you! 😀

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×