Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

im on my bed after the surgery literally a few hours ago...when does the pain stop?? getting out of bed hurts and laying down hurts and breathing hurts. the hurting is the stomach

i feel like crying please when does it stop

What pain killers have they given you? If nothing, ask for something.

Even with painkillers, getting up and down, getting in and out of bed will be fairly uncomfortable for a while.

What pain killers have they given you? If nothing, ask for something.
Even with painkillers, getting up and down, getting in and out of bed will be fairly uncomfortable for a while.

they gave me pain killers but i feel hurt and my stomach feels like im hungry

I remember the incision where they took my stomach out of hurt really bad for a little over a week. I had to have help showering. But, that was only getting up, sitting down, or laying down. Once I was down, I was pretty much okay and I didn't take any pain killers other then Tylenol after the first five or six days so the pain does get bearable before it disappears completely. I'm sorry you're struggling! I'd ask the doctors for some more pain killers if you feel like you need them. The gas also caused quite a bit of discomfort and pain, but walking helped get rid of it. It did stick around for a few days though...

Edited by NovaLuna
remembered something

I remember the incision where they took my stomach out of hurt really bad for a little over a week. I had to have help showering. But, that was only getting up, sitting down, or laying down. Once I was down, I was pretty much okay and I didn't take any pain killers other then Tylenol after the first five or six days so the pain does get bearable before it disappears completely. I'm sorry you're struggling! I'd ask the doctors for some more pain killers if you feel like you need them. The gas also caused quite a bit of discomfort and pain, but walking helped get rid of it. It did stick around for a few days though...

oh god...so if i lay down and do nothing would it help? or its better if move around?

For me, I walked around a LOT to break up any gas pain. I would guess that is what you are experiencing.

Walk, walk, walk. It helps get the gas out of your abdomen, which is causing much of the pain, The incisions will continue to hurt, but it will get better day by day. Don't be shy about asking for pain medication. Get up and walk even when you don't want to...especially when you don't want to. The more you walk the better it will be

What you are feeling in your stomach is not hunger. You will need to relearn the true signs of hunger. In the meantime, SIP your Water, SIP your Protein Shakes. Tiny sips until you can tolerate more. If you sip too fast or too much it will hurt in the area of your sternum. Follow the instructions and it will all be fine.

5 hours ago, NoSugarJustWater said:

oh god...so if i lay down and do nothing would it help? or its better if move around?

Move around. Just take a slow walk down the hallway and back.

Also do something to distract yourself from the pain. Talk to a family member or watch a tv show you like or just something to focus your attention elsewhere.

6 hours ago, NoSugarJustWater said:

im on my bed after the surgery literally a few hours ago...when does the pain stop?? getting out of bed hurts and laying down hurts and breathing hurts. the hurting is the stomach

i feel like crying please when does it stop

I experienced a small amount of this. Slept in my recliner. Stayed on top of alternating pain meds and Tylenol and wore a snug belly binder. That seemed to help out.

9 hours ago, NoSugarJustWater said:

they gave me pain killers but i feel hurt and my stomach feels like im hungry

I remember straight after my surgery telling the nurse that I felt really hungry. Turns out it was my stomach acid going crazy, they gave me a lansoprazole and everything calmed down.

Edited by Peonie

Ask the nurses if your pain is likely gas pain or otherwise. I did not have ANY gas pain post surgery and keep forgetting to ask the dr if they didn’t use the air on me or what but to the best of my knowledge walking only helps if it’s gas pain.

You have to get up and walk as much as you can.

The other thing that helped me was drinking Water. Just drink 1 oz of water slowly.. it makes the gas in your stomach go up.. and burp.

While I was at the hospital, I would sleep for 1 hour, wake up from the pain, drink 1 oz of water, walk 1-2 rounds in the hallways, and possibly ask for pain meds while walking by the nurses' station.... sleep for another hour, and rinse and repeat. I would be walking like a zombie all through the night..

I also used gas-x.. it doesn't make the gas go away, but it makes it use less volume.. so less pain. (It helps some people, and not some others)

Edited by Pete-TheTimeIsNow

If you feel unsteady make sure to beep for a nurse to help you up especially as you are so early post-op, but yes walk. The only way I could get any Fluid in initially was to walk from one end of the room to the other take a sip, walk, sip, walk, sip. (and I mean sip! basically 1 tsp) The movement seemed to help the liquid go through, otherwise, I was so nauseous (might be less urgent for you though my surgeon doesn't like to put you on IVs fluids... so it was just me against dehydration). Try different fluids as well, warm, room temp or ice cold. In the beginning, I could only manage red hot and ice lollies. If you feel nauseous try fluid other than Water, water can make even well post-op people feel ill. Peppermint tea is very good if they have it, that was all I could manage the first night.

You will feel twice as good every day, on day 3/4 you will feel human again, just try to sleep as much as possible, it will pass!

15 hours ago, NoSugarJustWater said:

Depends on what's causing the pain. If it's the gas then try and bear through it and walk as much as you can. If it's the incision then walk a bit to work the gas out, but don't overdue it. You do still need to walk to get the gas out and also to ensure you don't get a blood clot (since those can happen after surgery if you don't move around).