Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got my surgery

Hi all, just got my surgery Friday November 19, got out of the hospital today(Saturday 20th) and I am feeling hunger. I didn't think I was going to for a while. I cant tell if it is from my pouch or what is left of my stomach. Did anyone else experience this?

2 hours ago, EricLB300BC said:

Hi all, just got my surgery Friday November 19, got out of the hospital today(Saturday 20th) and I am feeling hunger. I didn't think I was going to for a while. I cant tell if it is from my pouch or what is left of my stomach. Did anyone else experience this?

Something about 50-60% of the time I think I'm hungry... and I'm actually thirsty. Your body, when thirsty, can make you think you're hungry instead so, in my opinion, what you're likely feeling is thirst. Drink something and it may very well go away. If it doesn't then it's likely head hunger.

Edited by NovaLuna
spelling error

As @NovaLuna said, signals get messed up post-op. It could be thirst, especially so soon post-op when you're still trying to get enough hydration. It could also be very slight acid reflux (for me this happens if I eat too carby all at once, or if I eat too fast, or if I drink too soon after eating or vice versa). If you wait a half an hour and it goes away, it wasn't hunger.

And some people have hunger after surgery. My surgery "twin" @lizonaplane said she feels hungry; I am just now, 10 weeks out, starting to sometimes feel hunger, but almost in the background.

Everybody is different, and every body is different.

Some people do experience hunger. Though I think some of the hunger people feel post surgery is head hunger. The surgery alone is stressful but add in not understanding if what you’re doing or feeling is right, the dramatic changes to what & how much you can eat, etc. makes you more anxious & emotional. For many of us, when we were stressed or emotionally upset we turned to food & now we can’t. Suddenly the thing we depended upon to soothe & comfort us is gone & then we feel even more anxious & upset & want to eat even more.

Stomach acid can make you think you’re hungry when you’re not too. Hunger pangs don't necessarily mean you’re hungry. They often just mean you have acid in your tummy & it’s empty. An empty tummy is not a bad thing. Ensuring you take your esomeprazole & keeping your fluids up will help ease hunger pangs.

I’m not downplaying those who feel hungry after surgery but just suggesting what could be contributing & making the situation harder to deal with & manage.

Real hunger feels different to head hunger. For me I get restless, toss, turn & know something isn’t right. With real hunger I don’t want a specific food or taste. I just want something to eat & I want it to be nutritious. I had to learn what my body’s reactions really meant & to recognise the real cues & signals: those from need versus want.

All the best.

Edited by Arabesque

On 11/21/2021 at 10:15 PM, Arabesque said:

Some people do experience hunger. Though I think some of the hunger people feel post surgery is head hunger. The surgery alone is stressful but add in not understanding if what you’re doing or feeling is right, the dramatic changes to what & how much you can eat, etc. makes you more anxious & emotional. For many of us, when we were stressed or emotionally upset we turned to food & now we can’t. Suddenly the thing we depended upon to soothe & comfort us is gone & then we feel even more anxious & upset & want to eat even more.

Stomach acid can make you think you’re hungry when you’re not too. Hunger pangs don't necessarily mean you’re hungry. They often just mean you have acid in your tummy & it’s empty. An empty tummy is not a bad thing. Ensuring you take your esomeprazole & keeping your fluids up will help ease hunger pangs.

I’m not downplaying those who feel hungry after surgery but just suggesting what could be contributing & making the situation harder to deal with & manage.

Real hunger feels different to head hunger. For me I get restless, toss, turn & know something isn’t right. With real hunger I don’t want a specific food or taste. I just want something to eat & I want it to be nutritious. I had to learn what my body’s reactions really meant & to recognise the real cues & signals: those from need versus want.

All the best.

I have been hungry since right after surgery. I don't want a specific food or taste, and I feel like when before I had surgery if I hadn't eaten all day. My bariatric therapist said about 20% of patients still have hunger after surgery. They prescribed metformin and it has helped a lot.

I still feel hunger after bypass. I feel light headed and weak feeling. I do drink my fluids religiously so I realize it must be hunger. There is no sensation of fullness so I measure everything possible. So, I’m still trying to sense a signal or off switch. I’m glad metformin is helping @lizonaplane!

On 11/27/2021 at 3:37 PM, learn2cook said:

I still feel hunger after bypass. I feel light headed and weak feeling. I do drink my fluids religiously so I realize it must be hunger. There is no sensation of fullness so I measure everything possible. So, I’m still trying to sense a signal or off switch. I’m glad metformin is helping @lizonaplane!

I am the same, except for the lightheadedness. I feel hunger, I’m good about fluids, etc. And I still can’t feel that “switch” (I’m 12 days post-op). I’ve heard so many stories about people being able to eat only a tablespoon at a time, but I have no problem with a half a cup. I’m still consuming less than 1000 cals/day so definitely losing, but it’s a little disappointing.