Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision from sleeve to bypass



Recommended Posts

I’m almost 16 months out from revision. I had VSG to RNY revision due to GERD 8 months after my VSG because of a hiatal hernia of almost my entire sleeve. The protonix after surgery made the GERD worse until I stopped taking it and I was great after.

As for food tolerance after revision I couldn’t eat eggs or chicken for almost a year but handled egg substitutes well. I also still can’t eat cucumbers which is a bummer because I love them. Some days I still can’t eat more than a few bites of things and other days It seems like I can’t eat enough. I do experience dumping sometimes but it’s a random thing that happens even if I’ve eaten the food before so there’s no rhyme or reason to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2021 at 4:25 PM, StratusPhr said:

Earlier this week insurance was a no go. This afternoon about 1:30 we get word it's been approved and surgery is set for the day after Thanksgiving. I'm starting the pre-op diet tomorrow. I wish I could remember what I needed and didn't need to take to the hospital eleven years ago!! Following several threads closely.

Hello, wondering who much you gained in 11 years? I am also 11 years post-op VSG, I have regained 40lbs however the GERD is just so bad every day I did not know you could get a revision to fix that. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/11/2021 at 10:52 PM, StratusPhr said:

Fixing the reflux/GERD is my main goal. Losing 20 - 30 lbs would be the cherry on top. Thank you and congratulations!

same here!! 20-30 pounds would be WONDERFUL but not the goal for me either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/10/2021 at 6:39 PM, smallbird said:

Hello, wondering who much you gained in 11 years? I am also 11 years post-op VSG, I have regained 40lbs however the GERD is just so bad every day I did not know you could get a revision to fix that. Thank you!

I gained 40 lbs!! I maintain at or below goal (150) for 8 years!! I've already lost just under 20 lbs, but I'm on full liquids. No Gerd, no chest pain from the hiatal hernia. Right now, other than struggling with Protein, this was a win/win!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/16/2021 at 2:16 PM, joeyangel99 said:

Hello! For those that have gotten the revision because of the GERD, did you feel relief immediately or did it take some time? My revision from sleeve to bypass was on 10/27, however I still feel GERD. I’ve heard some ppl say they felt immediate relief and others that it takes time. Can you all tell me what was your experience please. I am praying it goes away. The main reason I got the revision was for relief.

Immediately! I haven't taken a PPI or antacid since the day of surgery, plus I've lost 20 lbs. Surerty was the day after Thanksgiving. Barely two weeks ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, now am 3 months out with sleeve to roux n y revision and may have learned a couple things. Was originally on super low calorie low carb diet<500 calories a day. Slow weight loss, and even got to the point where I was gaining. Super frustrating. Switched my diet up to Keto, and started dropping the pounds. I’ve lost 32 pounds now and am at about 900 calories per day. Tip on keto, is that you have to have fat or it won’t work. For supplements, I take extract of artichoke for liver health and chromium to moderate insulin levels, in addition to all the Vitamin supplements that I’m sure everyone else takes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all. Just looking for some input from anyone who has had a revision from sleeve to bypass and if their tolerances have changed/unchanged.
Had revision back in March. flatulence has been awful. Intolerant to dairy now. So trying Lactose prods when I can. How about you? How are you fairing

Sent from my SM-G970U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MAQ You brought up a great point. I’m on low carb/600 calories, 7 weeks out from revision vsg to rny, and my weight loss has been sooooo slow! Only 5 pounds lost in January! I don’t know what to do and my surgeon’s office has been less than helpful. Since I’m in ketosis, I thought the weight would fall off. I didn’t wanna eat too much fat that’s why I didn’t do Keto and figured I have more than enough stored body fat to use. May I ask what your daily macros are How many grams of fat, carbs, Protein do you eat daily?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in the process of getting a surgery date for revision, sleeve to bypass - & this time around I feel a bit more scared than I did previously with my first surgery. I am worried of complications after surgery, did anyone run into any crazy complications after their revision?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@melanatedqueen
Macros are between 60-80 grams Protein, 40-50 grams fat and less than 10 grams carbs. More fat if I can fit it in without eating too much. I don’t know if I was in a stall and it ended the same time I started introducing more fat or if it was the fat that jump started my weight loss. But I certainly didn’t go through all this to eat less than 500 calories a day and not lose weight. Much more satisfied on the Keto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2021 at 9:54 PM, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

I’m almost 16 months out from revision. I had VSG to RNY revision due to GERD 8 months after my VSG because of a hiatal hernia of almost my entire sleeve. The protonix after surgery made the GERD worse until I stopped taking it and I was great after.

As for food tolerance after revision I couldn’t eat eggs or chicken for almost a year but handled egg substitutes well. I also still can’t eat cucumbers which is a bummer because I love them. Some days I still can’t eat more than a few bites of things and other days It seems like I can’t eat enough. I do experience dumping sometimes but it’s a random thing that happens even if I’ve eaten the food before so there’s no rhyme or reason to it.

I woke up at 4:30 AM throwing up. It's been a bad day. Dumping I think, I am trying to just get something in, and something will calories so I indulged in about 4.5 oz of a milkshake. I won't do that again.

I'll eat, weigh and measure, less to 2 oz. I'm fine and then sometimes 1.5 hours AFTER eating it will start gurgling and feels like it's just sitting there on my breastbone. I know if I throw up I will feel better. It will not go away. WHAT causes this? I'm worried about continuing to lose weight. I'd like to stop, but that seems impossible at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/1/2022 at 9:51 AM, newsam1154 said:

I am in the process of getting a surgery date for revision, sleeve to bypass - & this time around I feel a bit more scared than I did previously with my first surgery. I am worried of complications after surgery, did anyone run into any crazy complications after their revision?

Nothing crazy but very different. Eating is a challenge, getting enough fluids is a challenge taking supplements is a challenge. I'm struggling. I've been severely dehydrated about a month ago. I should have gone to the ER but they're full of Covid and the wait is HOURS literally. I drank Pedialyte unflavored, added grape juice, chicken broth and milk. It too four day to get through the vomiting and severe headache, but I still haven't fully recovered. I need to get a handle on this. I'm so glad to be through with reflux and the non-cardiac chest pains from the hernia, but dang, I want to get past all this other business!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/3/2022 at 1:07 PM, StratusPhr said:

Nothing crazy but very different. Eating is a challenge, getting enough fluids is a challenge taking supplements is a challenge. I'm struggling. I've been severely dehydrated about a month ago. I should have gone to the ER but they're full of Covid and the wait is HOURS literally. I drank Pedialyte unflavored, added grape juice, chicken broth and milk. It too four day to get through the vomiting and severe headache, but I still haven't fully recovered. I need to get a handle on this. I'm so glad to be through with reflux and the non-cardiac chest pains from the hernia, but dang, I want to get past all this other business!

Oh my word! I'm so sorry to hear you are going through that. I hope it passes for you too. Thank you for your insight!! I am still very thankful for the second chance at this wl life but still a bit scared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • jenuinelygenuinely

      Pre-op Liquid Diet - Day 1
      Had my morning cup of 8 oz Regular Orange Juice. I am ready!!! I did have 3 bites of my fiance's cheesecake last night for dinner. It was so yummy but with my former sleeve it didn't allow me any more bites.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Tim in Tampa

      Just started my pre-op diet today!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • jenuinelygenuinely

      To working out faithfully for 5 days a week. Lets go back to that year with a more positive mind, 
       
      SKINNY SZN HERE WE COME!!!!
       
      It's Saturday!!! My fiance and I are out doing yard work and I made the mistake of not staying hydrated before going out so now my body is shaking and weak. I have my pre-op appointment Tuesday, the 2nd and I am trying my hardest to lose another 2 lbs by then. 

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • jenuinelygenuinely

      Hi guys!!!
      Here is my big boy Zuko and daddy. My Great Dane/Shepherd. He was our first pup that we rescued from the Humane Society. 

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SimplySleevedCece

      Looking for new sleeve buddies! I’m 1.5 weeks post op and things seem to be getting a little difficult! I actually WANT food again eghh! Honestly, I feel like you don’t truly understand this process unless you go through it! Don’t be shy, say hello and let’s support each other during this journey 🙂
      · 1 reply
      1. jenuinelygenuinely

        You got this!! When I had the sleeve I cried every day during the liquid phase, It was during the super-bowl! I was sooo hungry I sucked on a piece of pork rind. LOL

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×